Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Folks,
Anyone have experience with house breaking an older puppy. I am thinking of buying a 16 week old puppy from a very reputable show breeder. She was going to keep him to show but now decided to sell him. He is now 16 weeks old and due to logistical travel issues with the puppy nanny I many not be able to get him for possibly another week and a half at which point he will be close to 18 weeks. His breeder has him partially pee pad trained but not completely. Do you think it will be especially difficult to house break a puppy that age. I prefer he mostly does his business outside. There are other breeders I have been in touch whose puppies are younger but I really do like this one. What do you all think? Should I get this one or wait a month or so to get one that is younger and more easily trained?

Registered
Like I said on your other post, as long as this puppy is well socialized and you feel good about the breeder, I would get him. An older puppy is able to hold their pee and poop longer and will be easier/less time to train than a youngster.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Like I said on your other post, as long as this puppy is well socialized and you feel good about the breeder, I would get him. An older puppy is able to hold their pee and poop longer and will be easier/less time to train than a youngster.
Thanks! By the way your pup is so adorable! Where did you get her from?

Registered
Thank you! I got her from the North Central Los Angeles Animal Shelter :)

Premium Member
Welcome to SM! An 18 weeks old puppy is not too old to adopt. Any puppy takes time and patience to potty train. Maltese definitely fit that bill. Many here on SM have adopted older retired show maltese and couldn't be more in love with them & happy with their addition to the family.
馃惗 馃尰馃惥

Premium Member
I would get the puppy you feel best about. It sounds like you really like this 18 week old puppy. 18 weeks old is not considered older for a Maltese puppy. Most reputable breeders wait until at least 16 weeks to let their puppies go so this is only 2 weeks older.

Registered
I would get the puppy you feel best about. It sounds like you really like this 18 week old puppy. 18 weeks old is not considered older for a Maltese puppy. Most reputable breeders wait until at least 16 weeks to let their puppies go so this is only 2 weeks older.
Dixie's Mama, you mean AMA Code of Ethics breeders release their puppies no earlier than 12 weeks. The issue is that the socialization window closes at 16 weeks, so by then either the buyer or the breeder has done everything they can to socialize the pup.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts