Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hunter started limping over the holiday weekend and since this has happened a few times we knew just what to do (1) give him 2 consecutive doses of anti-inflamatory/pain medication (2) restrict movement and (3) ensure he gets some rest.

Well, its now Wednesday night and while we initially saw some improvement we aren't seeing any more. He is walking on the leg and not limping but the leg is almost being slighly dragged. I don't know how to explain it - you can only see if from behind him. When he goes outside he won't walk but doesnt a funny little bunny hop. So, DH is going to call the vet to see what he suggests.

I hope its not what we both fear - something only surgery can fix!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Oh, dear. Poor Hunter. Glad you are taking him to the vet, though.

Does he have luxating patellas? Dogs with LP's are prone to ACL tears.

·
Premium Member
2,029 Posts
Gosh, I don't know, I hope it's something that time and rest will help. {{{{Hunter}}}}

My Spunky had problems with one of his patellas and much later with the cruciate ligaments in both knees. But with both problems he "solved" it by favoring the injured leg and even holding it up and not using it. Your description makes me wonder if it is a nerve problem.

I have no medical training, though--just what I've learned about specific problems my dogs have had.

Maybe one of our veterinary professionals will pop in here with some suggestions.

Maybe your vet could give you some advice over the phone (although the best advice usually is to bring the dog in).

M

·
Premium Member
24,026 Posts
Oh Erin - I hope it isn't something major. Did you see Hunter hurt himself before the weekend? I would think he'd probably be over it by now though unless he did something bad or there's something wrong. Is the limping knee or hip related? Can you tell by the drag. I'm sending prayers and thoughts that this won't need surgery but even if it does, you know that Hunter's a strong guy. He doesn't have any problems with anesthesia does he? Please let us know what's up but I'm thinking the vet will be telling you to bring Hunter in to take a look. Wish this wasn't happening. I never took Tyler to an orthopod about his knee after the vet said LP 3 when he leapt out of my DH arms while I was away. There's a Pet and Wellness Fair this weekend held by the Animal Medical Ctr here and they are doing some evaluating so I plan to take Tyler. I'm not a good example with a torn meniscus and no surgery on my knee. :blush::grouphug:

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
17,703 Posts
Truly sorry to hear about Hunter---will keep him in my thoughts as you try to diagnose his condition. These little critters give us much concern. Kitzi has been under the weather since Mon. when he got his baby shots. I truly hope a rib wasn't broken trying to hold him on the table. He doesn't want to be picked up but is playing & eating at least again. I so dread the next shot! Anyhow---sending lots of love to little Hunter and all the very best of wishes.
:smcry:

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Poor little Hunter! :( It's great that you already have medication for him that you were able to give to minimize any pain/inflammation. He has luxating patellas doesn't he? I couldn't remember whether or not he did, but hopefully this is not something that will require surgery.

Please update us when you can, and send Hunter hugs & kisses from me. :)

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Not Hunter!! :( Poor fella! I hope he doesn't need surgery and gets to feeling better really soon... and please keep us updated on what the vet has to say..

Hang in there Hunter and get well soon!!

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Poor baby...hope everything turns out all right and he will not need surgery. I will keep him in my prayers.

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just talked to DH who did call the vet who does not want us to bring Hunter in at this time but to continue to monitor and reduce activity. We are to restrict his movement as much as possible when appropriate but allow him to walk when he wants to. Also, we are to give him 2 more doses of anti-inflammatory and wait it out over the weekend.

He wants to see if Hunter can 'fix' himself before we do an examination which always makes Hunter anxious, nervous, and stiffen up and then the vet can't do a proper exam. He doesn't want to put him under for xrays or an exam if possible.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Thanks for the update, Erin.

Hopefully Hunter just over-exerted himself over the weekend and his legs got more inflammed than they normally would and will lessen with a little extra TLC and rest (and fun indoor games & treats! ;)). XOXO Get Well Soon Hunter!

·
Premium Member
2,029 Posts
I hope he does fix himself! {{{{Hunter and his people}}}}

Just curious, what is the anti-inflammatory?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts