Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've gone and done it now! You might remember that my sweet Sadie was brought home to be the companion dog for my 22 year old daughter who is finished with college and beginning some grad work. Due to a couple of circumstances that related to a big project, a test, and my other daughter's mono, I volunteered to take care of Sadie and work with her on potty training. Instead of living at the apartment with my 2 daughters Sadie has been with me almost exclusively for 7 weeks. I am completely in love and so is my husband. Even Jolie the Bichon is enjoying the company. Now the big test is over and Sadie is going to begin living with my daughter, at least during the week, and I can hardly stand it. A couple of weeks ago the wonderful breeder let me know that Sadie's sister/littermate wasn't going to make it for show because her bite wasn't holding. She offered me first chance. After a couple of weeks of discussion and a heart to heart with the breeder we've decided to take Sassy into our lives. I'm so excited but also really nervous. Our quiet home with one elderly bichon will now be (at least part time) a busier home with 3 dogs! I love that Sadie is a snuggler, that she sleeps on my lap, and is so calm. I'm praying that the new pup is similar, though can't expect them to be the same. The breeder says that the little boy in that litter is clearly the alpha and that Sassy is very sweet and loving. And of course she says that we can try it out for a while and see if it all works. We have a huge pre Christmas trip planned and I am making arrangements for Jolie and Sadie. The breeder and I agree that we should wait until we return from that trip to bring Sassy into the house. She is really being great about everything and working with me.

Am I completely nuts? I just turned 47. Maybe this is my midlife crisis. Give me some positive feedback and assure me it'll all be wonderful. I've been reading the threads about the pros and cons of two dogs. One of the big ones, cost, isn't an issue. I think we've tried to think about every other aspect. I want to do the right thing, and don't think I can stand not having a Maltese in this house full time.

Susan

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
YES!!
Having two is wonderful!

I don't want to "upset the apple cart" but here is an idea: Since you have bonded so deeply with Sadie and she is bound to think of you as her mommy now, especially after being with you for 7 weeks..... how about if you keep her as your own and let your daughter take Sassy?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Originally posted by msmagnolia@Nov 27 2004, 07:59 PM
Well, I've gone and done it now!  You might remember that my sweet Sadie was brought home to be the companion dog for my 22 year old daughter who is finished with college and beginning some grad work.  Due to a couple of circumstances that related to a big project, a test, and my other daughter's mono, I volunteered to take care of Sadie and work with her on potty training.  Instead of living at the apartment with my 2 daughters Sadie has been with me almost exclusively for 7 weeks.  I am completely in love and so is my husband.  Even Jolie the Bichon is enjoying the company.  Now the big test is over and Sadie is going to begin living with my daughter, at least during the week, and I can hardly stand it.  A couple of weeks ago the wonderful breeder let me know that Sadie's sister/littermate wasn't going to make it for show because her bite wasn't holding.  She offered me first chance.  After a couple of weeks of discussion and a heart to heart with the breeder we've decided to take Sassy into our lives.  I'm so excited but also really nervous.  Our quiet home with one elderly bichon will now be (at least part time) a busier home with 3 dogs!  I love that Sadie is a snuggler, that she sleeps on my lap, and is so calm.  I'm praying that the new pup is similar, though can't expect them to be the same.  The breeder says that the little boy in that litter is clearly the alpha and that Sassy is very sweet and loving.  And of course she says that we can try it out for a while and see if it all works.  We have a huge pre Christmas trip planned and I am making arrangements for Jolie and Sadie.  The breeder and I agree that we should wait until we return from that trip to bring Sassy into the house.  She is really being great about everything and working with me.

Am I completely nuts?  I just turned 47.  Maybe this is my midlife crisis.  Give me some positive feedback and assure me it'll all be wonderful.  I've been reading the threads about the pros and cons of two dogs.  One of the big ones, cost, isn't an issue.  I think we've tried to think about every other aspect.  I want to do the right thing, and don't think I can stand not having a Maltese in this house full time.

Susan
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=18841
[/QUOTE]

Maltese are like potato chips …you can’t have just one!!
Spoken by a fur-mama of 6 :D

Joy

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sher,
Great minds and all of that! I've suggested it a few times but my daughter chose the name AND paid half of the hefty price tag for Sadie. My husband and I both feel like she should be the one to make the offer and if she doesn't we are sure that we'll fall equally in love with Sassy. Maybe she'll decide that is the way to go! Either way I'll have a little baby.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by msmagnolia@Nov 27 2004, 08:32 PM
Sher,
Great minds and all of that!  I've suggested it a few times but my daughter chose the name AND paid half of the hefty price tag for Sadie.  My husband and I both feel like she should be the one to make the offer and if she doesn't we are sure that we'll fall equally in love with Sassy.  Maybe she'll decide that is the way to go!  Either way I'll have a little baby.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=18853
[/QUOTE]

Well, you could buy out her half!!

But seriously, I know what you mean...... either way, you'll come out just fine!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Well, you could buy out her half!!

But seriously, I know what you mean...... either way, you'll come out just fine!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=18864
[/QUOTE]

I agree with Kallie...buy her out, and tell her that you didn't intend to fall in love with little Sadie, but you have bonded with her and her with you... and would she consider a trade? And she could start off fresh with a new little gal to bond with and love.
Play on her sympathies
tell her it is the wish of an 'old woman'...ha ha ha. Forty seven is young, believe me.

I'm sure that if she doesn't want to, that you will fall in love with little Sassy too.
These little darlings are so easy to love, no matter how big, small, sick, healthy or whatever. They just steal your heart don't they?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Awww, what a situation! But i'd definitely say "GO FOR IT"!
I know if i ever get another puppy, it will be a little malt sister to keep Coconut company.

I think you should suggest paying the other half of Sadie and see if maaaaybe she'd let you keep her. Hmmm... maybe you could even change her name to Sassy. The names aren't too far off at all.
I mean, i call Coconut "pacman" and "silly" "mopsy" and "little crazy" all the time, and she seems to answer to every one.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
that is soo awesome!!! i totally know how you feel. im curious too...why dont you take sadie and your daughter can take sally?? congrats on the new pup!!!!!

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
If cost isn't a problem, I say GO FOR IT. I stay with one dog because of the vet costs and it's easier to travel with just one dog.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We aren't too, too far from Houston.....we're in Gulfport, MS. Actually my younger daughter was in Houston just last weekend for the Texans/Packers game and LOVED shopping at the Galleria. She brought me home a gorgeous pair of Stuart Weitzmans that I'd been planning to order from Nordstrom.

I've suggested a buyout. And I would do it. But I kind of feel like it would be a dirty trick. In our family the girls (my 2 daughters and I) take an annual shopping trip the weekend before Christmas. I give them the money that we would spend on them for Christmas and they buy their stuff and I come home and wrap it. Last year we went to NYC. This year we were going to Chicago but decided to go to Vegas instead and my parents, my husband and some friends are coming too. We don't give a flip about gambling but love shows and shopping and golf. Anyway, my daughter would probably love the extra money to shop but that would mean that I would have QUITE a bit of money invested in 2 dogs. So then my 2nd daughter would want her share and it would be bedlam. I'm sure that I will love Sassy and maybe my oldest daughter will decide that Sadie really misses me and she will give Sassy a chance. There is still the possibility that I could wind up with all three dogs!! (There is a new boyfriend in the picture now) Keep the encouragement coming. I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
132 Posts
hey your doing the right thing getting another, it just sounds great.

had my pup dixie home for 3 weeks now and it is just the most fun!!

i'm sure sassy will be just as good as sadie xxxxx

Originally posted by msmagnolia@Nov 28 2004, 04:30 AM
We aren't too, too far from Houston.....we're in Gulfport, MS.  Actually my younger daughter was in Houston just last weekend for the Texans/Packers game and LOVED shopping at the Galleria.  She brought me home a gorgeous pair of Stuart Weitzmans that I'd been planning to order from Nordstrom. 

I've suggested a buyout.  And I would do it.  But I kind of feel like it would be a dirty trick.  In our family the girls (my 2 daughters and I) take an annual shopping trip the weekend before Christmas.  I give them the money that we would spend on them for Christmas and they buy their stuff and I come home and wrap it.  Last year we went to NYC.  This year we were going to Chicago but decided to go to Vegas instead and my parents, my husband and some friends are coming too.  We don't give a flip about gambling but love shows and shopping and golf.  Anyway, my daughter would probably love the extra money to shop but that would mean that I would have QUITE a bit of money invested in 2 dogs.  So then my 2nd daughter would want her share and it would be bedlam.  I'm sure that I will love Sassy and maybe my oldest daughter will decide that Sadie really misses me and she will give Sassy a chance.  There is still the possibility that I could wind up with all three dogs!!  (There is a new boyfriend in the picture now)  Keep the encouragement coming.  I really appreciate it!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=18907
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i read your post about why you cant buy sadie....and i sorta dont get it. your daughters are adults, they'll understand why you'd want sadie.

you also have to think about how sadie will feel. i know that when i first got sprite...she got attached to my mom---then i took her out and she started throwing up because she wanted my mom.

it took me a while for her to bond with me. it sucked.

talk to your daughter.
sadie sounds like your baby already.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think my daughter will speak up if she thinks that Sadie is sad and lonely. On the other hand even tho Sadie was with me all the time, my daughter was home every weekend and sometime during the week. She and Sadie are buddies too. And when she is here Sadie sleeps in her room, she takes her out, etc. It won't be that Sadie is going off with a stranger at all. And I guess that you'd also have to look at it from my daughter's standpoint too. She paid half, she picked out the name, she's been buying all the stuff. I pretty much insisted that Sadie stay with me - she didn't ask me to keep her. If I've gotten attached it is really my own fault. My daughter was worried about that the whole time. I figure that getting the sister pup will be a good thing for Sadie, Jolie, me and my daughter. We'll all sort it out when Sassy comes to live with us. I really love all the encouragement. I surely don't want to do the wrong thing.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Originally posted by msmagnolia+Nov 27 2004, 07:59 PM-->
Am I completely nuts? [/B]
NO ! i think everybody here on this site would love to have a whole herd of maltese

Originally posted by [email protected] 27 2004, 07:59 PM
I just turned 47.  Maybe this is my midlife crisis.
i dont think so !!

Give me some positive feedback and assure me it'll all be wonderful.
go for it !!! go for it !!!! go for it !!! go for it !!!! go for it !!! go for it !!!! go for it !!! go for it !!!! go for it !!! go for it !!!! go for it !!! go for it !!!! go for it !!! go for it !!!! go for it !!! go for it !!!! go for it !!! go for it !!!!

i could go on forever !
One of the big ones, cost, isn't an issue.
once again, GO FOR IT !!!!!!!! i dont have any money to afford a second maltese but u can !! go for it !!!!

<!--QuoteBegin-msmagnolia
@Nov 27 2004, 07:59 PM
I want to do the right thing, and don't think I can stand not having a Maltese in this house full time.
thats the "curse" of having a maltese..u always want more

GO FOR IT !!!!!

and like how DMZ dogs mentioned, i think its a SIGN too having Sadie's sister to be available !!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts