Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow this is the second topic io have created in this catagory today lol oh well sunny's health is important to me so yeah back to my questions.....

I was looking at sunny and i was thinking he was looking a little chuuby now he is a lot bigger than a normal maltese so when i say he is 9.2lbs he isnt that fat lol i jut wanted to know if there is like a chart or something i can like say he is so tall his healthy weight would be so much thanks! sorry i am asking so many questions lately

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Check with your vet to determine Sunny's ideal weight. The Maltese standard says between 5-7 pounds, but not all Maltese will fall into that range. My Lady weights 9 pounds and that is her "ideal" weight. You don't want to starve Sunny down to 7 if he is meant to be 9. You should be able to feel his ribs, but you don't want him scrawny.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I wish Cloud would lose weight. I hope he does with the adult food. He just jiggles down the stairs.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
You definately don't want overweight Maltese. Just like with people, obesity can cause diabetes if a dog is genetically predisposed to it. My Lady got up to a whopping 11&1/2 pounds after I got her because I was "treating" her too well. She was diagnosed with diabetes a year & 1/2 later.

Cloud, especially, needs to be "lean and mean" because of his knees.

http://www.billfoundation.org/news/overwei...alth_risks.html

Have any of you ever tried veggies for treats? Lady loves frozen green beans (thawed under the tap), chopped red pepper, etc. Many dogs love baby carrots. If they won't eat them plain, try a treat dispensing toy like a Busy Buddy Twist and Treat.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom@Dec 20 2004, 11:24 AM
You definately don't want overweight Maltese. Just like with people, obesity can cause diabetes if a dog is genetically predisposed to it. My Lady got up to a whopping 11&1/2 pounds after I got her because I was "treating" her too well. She was diagnosed with diabetes a year & 1/2 later.

Have any of you ever tried veggies for treats? Lady loves frozen green beans (thawed under the tap), chopped red pepper, etc. Many dogs love baby carrots. If they won't eat them plain, try a treat dispensing toy like a Busy Buddy Twist and Treat.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=24444
[/QUOTE]
Caesar LOVES baby carrots!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Caesar's Mommie+Dec 20 2004, 11:27 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-LadysMom
@Dec 20 2004, 11:24 AM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=24446
[/B][/QUOTE]

Lexi had her first carrot on Friday. She had a blast playing with it. She would toss it a few inches away and then stare at it (I think she was waiting for it to move). She would then pounce on it and start the whole thing over. It kept her entertained for at least an hour.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom+Dec 20 2004, 11:34 AM-->
Originally posted by Caesar's [email protected] 20 2004, 11:27 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-LadysMom
@Dec 20 2004, 11:24 AM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=24446

[/QUOTE]

Lexi had her first carrot on Friday. She had a blast playing with it. She would toss it a few inches away and then stare at it (I think she was waiting for it to move). She would then pounce on it and start the whole thing over. It kept her entertained for at least an hour.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=24450
[/B][/QUOTE]
LOL cute! :D

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well i know sunny wont fall between 5-7 as an adult but he is only 6 months old right now, i was just worried about him putting on weight becuase i know you are supposed to see a waist on the top when you look at them from above (not really little waist but there should be one) and before i got his hair cut i was just saying well i am sure he is fine but with all that hair i cant tell and now i can see and he just looks a little chubby...besides i think i am over feeding him , i have been giving him as much as he will eat lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts