Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
17,634 Posts
I know I've posted about this before, but I once asked the head of one of the Maltese rescues why there are so many pairs in rescue. She said that too many people get littermates or 2 puppies too close in age, thinking it will be twice the fun, when it ends up being "double trouble" just as Tundar's mom said. They end up with 2 unhousebroken, badly behaved adult dogs that they no longer want.
She said they are much harder to place as people are reluctant to take on the training (or lack of!) of two adult dogs.

That's why most experts recommend adding another one only when your first one is 100% housebroken and well behaved so that he can set a good example for the puppy. Just like kids, puppies will pick up bad habits from their peers!

· Registered
17,634 Posts
At any given time there are about 150 Maltese listed on Petfinder.org. And any rescue person will tell you that at least half the dogs they take in never need to be listed there as they already have an adoptive parent ready and waiting for them.

Purebred dogs are given up for the same reason mixed breeds are, many because the owners didn't really think the decision through enough and make that 15 year "to death do us part" commitment.

They get jobs that require traveling, go off to college, move to a place where no pets are allowed, have children who have allergies, in short, have lifestyle changes that won't accomodate a dog. Or they didn't realize how expensive that cute little pup would be. (We had one turned into rescue last year at the whopping age of 1&1/2. He needed surgery for luxating patellas on both knees which would run in the thousands so his mom gave him up. I heard she got another one just a few months later...) Behavioral problems like not being housebroken or male marking (again, usually because the owner waited too long to get him neutered) are another reason.

I saw a statistic recently that said 1/3 of dogs who come into shelters are purebred.

· Registered
17,634 Posts
Isn't it amazing how you can turn these rescues around with lots of love and a generous helping of common sense?

When I took Lady out for last call last night she got very involved in sniffing. As it was misting and I really wanted to make this a quick trip, I told her to "go potty". She looked up at me like "oh, okay" and squatted right down!

I just marveled at what a perfect dog she has become in the 5 years I've had her. She had never even walked on a leash before, refused to walk on grass, had never used pee pads, etc.

She is now the most perfectly mannered dog that I can take anywhere. She is an angel about grooming, a perfect patient at the vets. She is so easy to live with I am ruined for other dogs!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.