Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With some of the recents posts about breeders, I thought it might be interesteding to do a thread of how your pup came to you. We stress going to the breeder's home to visit. So, I devised a questionaire.

1. Who was your breeder?
2. Did you have your pup shipped? If so, how satisfied were you with this arrangement?
3. Did you go to the breeder's home? If so, were you allowed to see all of the dogs, or were you only shown the parents of your pup?
4. How many adult dogs did your breeder have?
5. How much time did you spend talking/visiting with the breeder before you brought your pup home?
6. If you have had health problems, have you had problems contacting the breeder/getting a problem resolved?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
None of the above...so you probably don't want to hear from me, but I will tell you anyway. I do know Rex was one of two in his litter, both boys, the previous litter they had one left of, a boy also. The dad was a show dog and won awards, the mom, was just a mom.
My mil got Rex. She got him from a friend of hers that breeds. I dont even want to know how good or bad she is, I never met her and probably would rather not know. We didnt even want a dog, only our daughter did. She called one night and said I found a dog for you, do you want it. She lives up in PA and we are in VA, so I had no idea what he would look like. She said he looks like a Maltese. I was like, do you have pictures, she was like, dont you know what a Maltese looks like. I was like dont you know anyone with a digital camera so you can send me a picture, she was like look up Maltese on the internet. Okay that is my mother in law for ya! Anyway on with the story, I was like, does he have AKC papers, and after that she found out and he did. I also asked her a lot of questions which she always had to get back to me on after she called the breeder to ask. Then she told me he was 10 inches tall from floor to head and white. Oh yeah, thanks for the great description. She was like do you want him or not? I was like I dont know, she said she had to know by the next day or the breeder was selling him. On a whim, I said yes. She went and got him the next day and brought him home and let him run with her dogs on the farm. She asked what we wanted to name him, he had some stupid name when she got him, like follow the rainbow or something. We werent able to go and get him for 3 weeks. I had no clue what I was getting. Finally 3 weeks later we take the drive up and behind the fence was the filthiest barkiest dog I had ever seen. He didnt want to go to my daughter. He came to me. Now, you guys dont know this about me, but I dont like dirt, at all, but I picked up the mudball and fell in love. My mil was shocked, not only did I hate dirt, but I hated dogs. I would never let her dogs near me and when we went to visit I insisted they be kept away from me. However, Rex isnt a dog and I get angry now when she tells me I need to remember he is a dog and not to spoil him. Well, I can spoil him because he isnt a dog, he is my adopted son. Okay there is my story.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Originally posted by LucyLou@Nov 4 2005, 04:06 PM
1. Who was your breeder?
Five Maples Maltese/ canada
2.  Did you have your pup shipped?  If so, how satisfied were you with this arrangement?
No I drove for 1.5 hours

3.  Did you go to the breeder's home? Yes

If so, were you allowed to see all of the dogs, or were you only shown the parents of your pup?
We saw all the dogs, the mom and Dad and all the puppies...

At the time just two.

5.  How much time did you spend talking/visiting with the breeder before you brought your pup home?
We had lots of conversation by email.
Two or three by phone and 6 hours on site. in two trips. The breeder spent lot of time interviewing us and us interviewing her.  It was a very plesent vist both times we went there.  She provided us with a book to refer to and papers 4 sets of bows .  She showed me how to put them in her hair and how to cut the hair around her eyes.  She also provided me with tips for grooming. 

6.  If you have had health problems, have you had problems contacting the breeder/getting a problem resolved?
So far chelsey has had no health issues except for a ear infection... I have no problems contacting the breeder infact I send her pictures of chesley and chester.

We were very please with our breeder and would recomend her to anyone.
She is a wonderful person

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=116645
[/QUOTE]
Edited... I forgot to mention I did find our breeders information the on the internet but also call our vet for chester and they recommend her first on the list. There was an other breeder they recommented and I did call her but she only had boys and said she never gives away her girls as pets. I did not really like her tone... and she kept asking me why don't I want a boy. it really turned me off. Anyway the funny thing about it ,is our breeder for chesley actually provide the other breeder studs...

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I got Lexi from a "breeder in SE Iowa. I don't have her name with me right now but I will post it when i get home. At the time I thought I had done a lot of research and knew what a puppymill was. Now I know I had no idea. I knew the breeder had a lot of dogs but the facilities were really clean so I thought she was ok. All of the dogs were kennel raised. I visited twice before going to pick up Lexi. Not sure exactly how many adult dogs she had but I would guess i was around 40 (yeah i know i was very naive then, learned a lot since then). So far Lexi has not had any health problems. The vet did mention there is a little slipping in her back knees but right now it isn't really even a grade 1. As for behavor problems she can be a little agressive. Last winter i had a little problem with her snapping at me. She bite me a few times. I was able to take care of this by doing the Nothing Is Free Program and then taking an obedience training class after that. I've learned that if I go too long without training her she starts to think she is in charge. So I try to do at least a few things with her a day or every other day.

I got Nikki from Darlene Huckaba (St. Louis, MO area). She was recommended to me by Pippin's Mom. She is great. I had talked to her on the phone in May and at the time she didn't have any females for sale. In June I got an email from Pippin's Mom saying Darlene had decided to sell one of the female puppies she had been going to keep. I got that email on Monday and called Darlene on Tuesday. I talked to her for over a hour. I felt very comfortable with her. She emailed me a bunch of pictures. When I picked up Nikki I was at Darlene's house frin around 11:30AM until 4:30PM! LOL We got along great I felt very comfortable with her. She showed me where she kept the puppies in her basement. Very nice setup. The puppies are kept in one exercise pen when they get older and the mom's are right next to them in another. The other adults were in a back room since I was there. I think she had 5 adults. I saw them through a window. THey were all hyper with us being down in the basement so she didn't want to let them out. They all looked very well cared for. Nikki is so much calmer than Lexi. I think that is due to her being home raised. She has no problem being groomed or held by people. Lexi really only likes when I hold her. Nikki loves to play but is also fine just laying on the couch with me. The only health problem she has had is an umbilical hernia, which was a big deal. The vet took care of it when Nikki was spayed. She doesn't have any behavor problems. I email Darlene every month or so and she always gets back to me. She is a nurse and works during the day so it's usually in the evening when she gets back to me. I would highly recommend her as a breeder.

·
Registered
776 Posts
1. Who was your breeder?

Beverly Weddington, Cambea's puppies. www.cambeas.com Located in Clearwater (Tampa area), FL.

2. Did you have your pup shipped? If so, how satisfied were you with this arrangement?

I didn't ship him -- I drove from Miami to Clearwater (4 hours) and then from Clearwater to Gainesville (3 hours). It was a long day!

3. Did you go to the breeder's home? If so, were you allowed to see all of the dogs, or were you only shown the parents of your pup?

Bev breeds Bichon Frise and Maltese, and I went to her home. My baby Jack was brought into the living room along with Ryan, Bev's champion Maltese, to play. I saw the other dogs in their bedrooms but they were all excited and it was lateish so none of them were brought out.

I'm not sure exactly but I think it's probably around 20 (lots!) but... she does this full time and shows her dogs too, so I think she's pretty reputable. (Not the BEST but I had kind of a budget.)

5. How much time did you spend talking/visiting with the breeder before you brought your pup home?

We emailed a few times, spoke on the phone at length for at least two hours and then I visited before taking Jack for about two hours as well. We talked about ME mostly, I felt like I was being interviewed for a job!

6. If you have had health problems, have you had problems contacting the breeder/getting a problem resolved?

Knock on wood; no problems

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
1. Who was your breeder?
no one knows her, so i won't give names.
there was no shipping involved
i saw all the dogs she had (parents and puppies)
2. she only had a male and female
well, i was referred to her by a friend, i saw the puppies twice before i brought massimo home, 3 including the day i brought him home. the first visit i had to remove my shoes and wasn't allowed to touch them, the second time i had to remove my shoes and wash my hands before i could touch them, the visits were about an hour each- including the day i brought massimo home.
massimo hasn't had any problems (so far...knock on wood), but i hear one of his sisters has grade 2 and 3 luxating patellas.

EDIT: i wrote this post before massimo had been diagnosed with epilepsy. after massimo's diagnosis i called the breeder to let her know. she seemed concerned, but i could tell the conversation was moot as it was ultimately my problem and there was nothing she could do to rectify the situation.
soon after, her dogs were fixed due to other health issues with the pups they produced.
i have heard since this original post, most of the other puppies have health issues. from luxating patellas to neurological issues. this situation is a great example as to why you should buy from a reputable breeder.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
1. Who was your breeder? 
A lady named Janet from Georgia.  I will be happy to give anyone who PM's me her full name, but she only has a litter or two each year and I don't feel comfortable giving her full name on a public forum.
2.  Did you have your pup shipped?  If so, how satisfied were you with this arrangement? 
I did not have Sadie or Sassy shipped.  I drove to get them.
3.  Did you go to the breeder's home?  If so, were you allowed to see all of the dogs, or were you only shown the parents of your pup? 
It was my choice not to got to her home because it would have been an 8 hour trip one way.  It is important to note that I had gotten recommendations about her from a reputable breeder in Birmingham who did not have a female puppy at the time that I was looking.  Janet spends most weekends at dog shows.  Her sister lives in Montgomery, AL which is about half way for her and for me.  We agreed to meet there.  I did this two different times since I got Sadie and Sassy a few months apart.  I felt very comfortable with this arrangement after extensive phone conversations with her.  I never felt that I couldn't go to her home if I had felt that I needed to.
At the time she had two pet maltese that were not ever shown and were her original intro to the breed.  She also had 2 young females that she was in the process of showing (at least one got her championship points during the time that I was waiting for Sadie), and two other females that were breeder dogs.  One of them had had one litter of pups and Janet wasn't going to breed her any more.  Sadie and Sassy's dam had had one litter and since she didn't get any show prospects Janet was undecided about whether or not to breed her again.
5.  How much time did you spend talking/visiting with the breeder before you brought your pup home? 
We spoke by phone every week and emailed nearly every day.  I still talk with her via email.  I consider her to be a friend.  She never asked for a deposit because she and I clicked with each other.  When I picked Sadie up I had a certified check for the entire amount.  When I got Sassy she told me not to even bother doing that.  We had mutual trust and when I spoke with her on the phone I could hear the dogs.  They live in her house and have plenty of interaction with people and the other maltese.  I specifically wanted a breeder who actively is involved with showing dogs.  I did NOT want a big time breeder who has many, many litters each year.
6.  If you have had health problems, have you had problems contacting the breeder/getting a problem resolved? 
We haven't had health problems.  I would immediately contact her, however, because it might affect her breeding program.

Edit 6/11/2006: Sassy died of GME on 5/30/06 after diagnosis in 01/2006. I contacted her breeder and the breeder of her sire immediately and they have both pulled these parents from breeding. Anyone who needs further info regarding this matter may contact me or see other posts on SM.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
1. Who was your breeder?

Charlotte Tucker...member of this board=Teaco
Found her name on Breeder.net. After contacting several that turned my off, there was just something honest and down-to-earth about Charlotte. I have never regretted my decision.

I went to pick Brinkley up. He was several states away. but a few hours from my family's house in Oklahoma. Charlotte met us between her house and my parent's house, as she was the opposite direction we had to drive to get back to Tennessee. She not only brought Brinkley with her, but also a new momma and her pups and a few other adults. The site of 3-4 four white heads barking out her truck window CRACKED us up when we pulled up. Couldn't miss her! That's for sure!

I didn't go to her home, but received MANY pictures.

Uh....don't remember at that time. A LOT!
Seems like 11 or 12. They were all inside and being raised/loved underfoot.

Almost daily in emails.

No problems, unless you count being a brat.

·
Premium Member
4,916 Posts
OK guys, please remember this was almost 14 years ago, and before I had a clue about Maltese except that they were the cutiest thing I'd seen at the one dog show I'd been to. After all these years of research and discussions with others like all of you, I know better! To make everything worse here, Frosty was only 7 weeks old. After we got home I found he couldn't even eat by himself. I hand fed him and had the vet give me a formula I fed him.

I've learned a lot since then and hopefully won't make the same mistakes again. However, I'll have to say....Frosty has been very healthy and no major or even minor problems with health until at least 12 1/2 years old. Even now he is not "sick", just suffering from age related things.

1. Who was your breeder?
Nancy Biehn, Hoodriver, OR
No, we drove 3 hrs.
Yes, we went to their home. The Mommie & Daddy were running around outside on their ranch, but other than being a little dirty from playing outside looked good. There were 4 puppies on a warm screened back porch.
Don't know for sure, but I think only the 2.
(You're going to love this) She wasn't home. Her husband and teenagers were there. We spent an hour or so talking to them and asking questions and waiting for the Mom. I chose the friendliest pup and we left for home.
I tried several times to get her to answer questions since I knew nothing about Maltese, and never got an answer.

I wish I knew now if she was a one time backyard breeder or what. His bloodlines are prety good, some close in his pedigree (for you who might recognize them) are: CH Kathan Pinball Wizard and lots of the "Sun Canyon", "Canyon Rim's" lines, and "Fantasyland", and Joanne-Chen's.

Under the circumstances I lucked out for sure. The major thing with Frosty has been his aggressive nature. I won't pick the alpha of the pack again! He is a 10 pounder, but other than that he is a very nice looking guy. He's had a better coat and points than most pet Malts I've seen over the years. Even now people are amazed to hear he is going to be 14 in a couple of months. When strangers see him they think he is a young dog and always have a fit about how pretty he is. Here is his 4 month pic.

I don't know how to make it larger. I think it is one of the cutest I've seen, but I'm bias of course.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
1. I don't want to post the breeder's name for fear that she will be innundated with calls...after all, Valletta is the perfect maltese! At least in our minds she is.

2. We did not have our pup shipped and our breeder does not ship. We were required to meet with her and the pup to see if we were a match before she would allow us to take her home. This took place at 9 weeks. At that point we signed the purchase contract, but we did not make payment until we picked her up at 12 weeks.

3. Yes we went to the breeder's home. We didn't get a tour of the house so we only saw the mother and Valletta. The father was not on site, as she put it...her father was the FedEx man....artificial insemenation.

4. As for the number of adults, she had 8 adult dogs...but I cannot recall the number of yorkies (she also breeds) and maltese. She also co-owns several other dogs with other well known breeders.

5. I spent a number of hours over several phone calls, plus when we went to her home the first time, we were there for about 2.5 hours.

6. We haven't had any health issues at all with the dog. But if we did, I would not hesitate to contact her.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm finding this thread interesting, and I hope it is helpful to those looking for pups in the future.
Boy, have I learned a lot in five years!
My first girl, Lucy, was bought as a pet. I knew very little about Maltese, and just wanted a small dog to go to work with me, as I had lost my heart dog/ companion dog who worked with me in my office. I have since visited in the breeder's home and know that he has at least ten Maltese, but at the time I got Lucy, I met him 1/2 way between my house and his at the McDonald's. I do not agree with the way he keeps his adult dogs, but he keeps his pups in the den, and they are well socialized. Like you, Frosty's mom, I lucked out as to pedigree and her being well cared for. She was nine or ten weeks old, and I never had any problems with her health. Lucy has a wonderful disposition, great coat, pigment out of this world, and she is six pounds. I paid $400 for her. I got full registration, and I have bred her, after having her evaluated. She is the mother of my China. She is what got me interested in learning more about the Maltese breed, and I soon started going to shows to observe.
My first show boy came from MiDis Maltese. Dee Dee also came from MiDis, and she and Weaver have the same sire.
My second show male came from Sharon Girvin at Bluehills. He was bought on co-ownersip. We got him at six months. Sharon brought him to a dog show, and he was picked up there. I have great respect for Sharon and her breeding program, but didn't meet her until after we acquired and finished Pride's championship.
My last purchase came from Italy. He was flown to Atlanta, and picked up at the airport there. I talked to the breeder through her teenaged daughter who speaks English. The co-owner also talked with them at length, and we still do. Andy was bought because we wanted certain things from his lines. I like some of the features of the European lines, and he also has some of the best American lines in his pedigree. I guess we were going on reputation of the breeder here, and I couldn't be happier with how they handled the situation or the condition he arrived in. I did not pay less than I would at a top kennel here in the US to get him. I just got more of what I wanted by going out of the county.
I've not had any health problems with my dogs. I've also found the breeders to be open and available.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
COOKIE</span>

1. Who was your breeder?
Jenny Siliski of Hollybelle Maltese

No, I drove over 10 hours to pick her up in person. I did not want my baby shipped and I wasn't in a position to fly there and pick her up.

I was invited into the front foyer of the house but not inside. I sat on the stairs to sign the contract and paper work. I was not told how many dogs she had and was only shown the few dogs in the house. I was shown who was suppose to be the mom and the brother of the father. The father was away at shows.

I have no idea. I never got an answer and for some reason .. I didn't think anything of it at that time.

I only stayed at her house for 15 minutes after driving over 10 hours. I was very upset
We exchanged several emails but I was so in love with the photos she sent me that I was afraid I couldn't get her (stupid me). She sent me a photo at 8 weeks, 10 weeks and 12 weeks as shown below.

<span style="color:blue">6. If you have had health problems, have you had problems contacting the breeder/getting a problem resolved?

Cookie had an ear infection when I first got her. The breeder responded and provided some advice on how to handle it. Other than that, Cookie has been very healthy without any problems.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Originally posted by CharmyPoo@Nov 5 2005, 03:07 PM
COOKIE</span>

1. Who was your breeder?
Jenny Siliski of Hollybelle Maltese

No, I drove 9 hours to pick her up in person.  I did not want my baby shipped and I wasn't in a position to fly there and pick her up.

I was invited into the front foyer of the house but not inside.  I sat on the stairs to sign the contract and paper work.  I was not told how many dogs she had and was only shown the few dogs in the house.  I was shown who was suppose to be the mom and the brother of the father.  The father was away at shows.

I have no idea.  I never got an answer and for some reason .. I didn't think anything of it at that time.

I only stayed at her house for 15 minutes after driving 9 hours.  I was very upset
  We exchanged several emails but I was so in love with the photos she sent me that I was afraid I couldn't get her (stupid me).  She sent me a photo at 8 weeks, 10 weeks and 12 weeks as shown below.

<span style="color:blue">6. If you have had health problems, have you had problems contacting the breeder/getting a problem resolved?

Cookie had an ear infection when I first got her.  The breeder responded and provided some advice on how to handle it.  Other than that, Cookie has been very healthy without any problems.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=116987
[/QUOTE]
Charmy Poo...how old is Cookie?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
NIBBLER</span>

1. Who was your breeder?
Tonia Holibaugh of Rhapsody Maltese but Nibbler was bred by Riverwalk Kennels. This is the photo I saw advertised on her website and I just knew I had to have him.

No, I drove 5 horus to Pittsburg. Tonia was on a show circuit and took along Nibbler with her so I can meet them at a closer location.

Since we didn't meet at her home, I was not able to see all of her dogs. However, I did get to meet some of the wonderful Maltese she had with her. This included the famous Bandit and he is gorgeous.

I have never met the parents of Nibbler but I have seen photos of them. I have adored his mother for many years. I wanted to adopt her when she was retired but I was too late.

I did not ask.

We chatted on the phone for several hours before bringing Nibbler home. We also spent over an hour when we met in person. Tonia is great and very willing to answer questions.

Tonia is always very receptive in answering questions and providing advice. She is a wealth of knowledge.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
WAFFLE</span>

1. Who was your breeder?
Crystal Suchocki of Serenade Shih Tzu. These are the photos sent to me.

She lived in Lousiana which was not within driving distance and I was still in school and couldn't make the flight out. She agreed to ship Waffle but was very very worried since it was the first time she ever shipped. However, she trusted me and felt Waffle would be in good hands with me. We did a lot of research and went with Continental. She sent Waffle with a vet tech that worked at her vet since she was heading to Texas and it was closer for the flight. I also drove to Buffalo across the US border for a more direct flight.

She was so worried that I could feel it through her emails and it got me scared too. Never the less, Waffle arrived safe and sound and simply adorable!

Since we didn't meet at her home, I was not able to see her dogs. However, I am sure she would have loved me to meet her Shih Tzu.

She had very few - I believe it was under 6. She had very nice Shih Tzu and a great foundation. She was also a full time groomer so her Shih Tzu were groomed to perfection.

We exchanged emails on a daily basis for several weeks. We got to know each other very well.

Crystal was always healpful in answering questions and providing insight into the Shih Tzu breed. Waffle did have a problem with his eyes but he is doing very well now.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
When I started this thread, I did it, hoping it would help others who may be looking for a pup.
If some of you are hesitant to list your breeder, how about just listing the state you purchased the dog, then if someone is looking for a dog in that area, they can PM you.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
SPARKLE, JELLYBEAN and CUPCAKE</span>

1. Who was your breeder?
Susie Pham of Chalet De Maltese. I first emailed Susie in 2002 after seeing the darling Maltese on her website. We have been talking through emails for a few years before I got Sparkle.

We drove 9 hours to pick up Sparkle because I wanted to meet her in person. I was finishing off a project and couldn't make a drive down to pick up the pups so I had them shipped to me.

I have been there and met the Maltese. I am very familiar with her lines and breeding program.

She does not have many adult dogs. I believe she has under 10 but a few were retired recently.

We exchanged emails on a regular basis and chat on the phone regularly for several years. We still talk regularly.

I have never had any health problems with Sparkle or the puppies.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
1. Who was your breeder?
The Buttercup was sold to us from a woman named Connie Cross from Tennessee. After much more research of Connie, and Buttercup's lines... methinks Miss Connie is more of a broker than a breeder.

Nope, we drove up to meet her, 4 hours? maybe each way

A friend of mine went to visit for me, as he was nearby. After a couple of years, and when I was more thoroughly researching Buttercup's family tree, I asked him more questions and he and his girlfriend didn't have good answers. I'm not opposed to thinking the two of them never actually visited... He told me that he only saw a couple of maltese and a couple dogs of other breeds (which Connie did tell me that she also bred, affenpinschers and Japanese Chins), but she didn't clarify whether she bred any of the others.

She had told me she had between 6-10 depending on "who is being shown". Right.

Many many emails. A few phone calls, but many emails.

Just some ear infections, but Connie was very helpful with all of that. She's a very nice woman, very knowledgable, and she was very willing to answer questions, as incessant as they were from me LOL, and I was very disappointed to see her involvment in soooooo many other breeds. I could be wrong about her, but I don't know... Buttercup's mom's side is not nearly as exciting as her daddy's side...

Regardless, I wouldnt trade her for the world. If I knew then, what I know now...would I still have gotten her? Probably not. But I wouldn't know the joy of a Buttercup. Not a regret in the world. I consider myself FULLY armed with knowledge for the next go-round

Ann Marie and The "My mommy tells me that Miss Connie doesn't advertise she breeds maltese anymore because she achieved perfection with ME!!" Buttercup

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Originally posted by LucyLou@Nov 5 2005, 03:49 PM
When I started this thread, I did it, hoping it would help others who may be looking for a pup. 
If some of you are hesitant to list your breeder, how about just listing the state you purchased the dog, then if someone is looking for a dog in that area, they can PM you.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=116998
[/QUOTE]

i understand where you're coming from, but it wouldn't matter if i named her anyway, because she does not breed anymore.
but massimo came from Elmira, NY.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts