Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As many of you know I have 4 horses . 2 Minis and 2 big ones. They have a farrier ( its a certified hoof trimmer). My farrier has been a farrier since he was a young man and he is over 60, He has 2 national certifications and is very good. He never misses appointments and he treats my animals well and did orthopedic shoeing on my filly with a great outcome. Although he is great at his job I think he is a compulsive gambler and he goes through money fast.

Okay here is my issue. The Farrier "Bill" has a girlfriend "Nancy" who frequently comes with him as a helper. Nancy is a friendly older woman and always very nice and polite and very helpful with my horses. They live together. They also have a CockaPoo ( who is about 2 years old)......she is named "Tazmarra" and they call her Taz. She is a 9 pound cutie, & peach colored. The dog is not all that friendly with strangers or other dogs but great with the couple - and she rides around in their truck cab with them. I have known Taz since she was a puppy.

Okay here is my predicament...Nancy announced at their last visit that they are going to breed Taz to a Toy poodle male dog of a friend of theirs.

In as nice a way as I could muster, (the little hairs were standing up on my neck) I asked why would they breed a non-pedigreed mixed dog? They openly said "to make some money" and have some "cute puppies". I was sooooo PO'ed but I stayed cool and I explained about health issues and risks and all the unwanted dogs but I could tell they have their minds made up. In fact they said they even have some homes for these not even conceived pups ( I doubt this). Her arguement was that mixed breed dogs had less genetic issues than pure bred dogs. No matter what I said they seemed to have made their minds up. It didn't get heated but I had to give up.

So now do I "mind my own business" or do I "try to educate" these people? They come here every 6 weeks to trim my horses.
It bothers me to no end but good farriers are hard to find. How do you make ignorant people who need the money understand that BYB is NOT good?

Should I just avoid the subject? What would you do?

Cat

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
in my experience, sometimes you just have to let it go. You tried - that's all you can do. I know somebody like that, who breeds her definite pet quality maltese to 'make some money' and while I have to bite my tongue every time I see her, I just can't say anything to her about it. I don't want to say the reason why I can't, since I'd hate for her to stumble on this site but when she complains that her maltese are 10 lbs and have curly coats and big muzzles and that they don't look like mine, it's all i can do to keep my mouth shut.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Not only is it bad what they are doing...just breeding 2 whatever dogs together to get some "quick cash".

Are they not worried about the health of their dog at all? Or the outcome of puppies born to a dog that is pretty much a senior??? I really don't think a 9 year old female dog should be having puppies (esp. for the first time?). What if something happens to her in the process, how would they feel? I would mention that to them if anything. It's not like she is a young chick, like 3 or 4 or even 5 or 6. But 9...? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the cut off for breeding like 7ish?

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
We don't like it, but it happens all the time. All I feel we can do it try to educate as much as we can, after that just let it go IMO. Sounds like you have really tried and they just are not going to listen. :(

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
That's a tough one. My BIL (hubby's much younger brother) came over this weekend and announced his dog was in heat. My husband knows how I feel about that and tried to make excuses for him before I could say anything. But you know, to save peace, I just kept my mouth shut. Sometimes I say live and let live (I don't want hurt feelings among family).

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
i get that all the time , i even get ppl telling me they have a girlfriend for dolce and we can get money . im like r u crazy and i go off on my educating .. some ppl have made up their mind already n they just dont get it .. btw excuse me for abbreviating so much , ( im at work )

·
Premium Member
10,319 Posts
I think you did your very best but I would just let it go. I am sure good farriers are hard to find. I think if you keep on, it may cause bad blood between you and the person who tends to your horses hooves!!! That is what educated minds are for and I don't think from what you say, they are going to be willing to listen any further:smilie_tischkante:.....you tried your best!!!

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not only is it bad what they are doing...just breeding 2 whatever dogs together to get some "quick cash".

Are they not worried about the health of their dog at all? Or the outcome of puppies born to a dog that is pretty much a senior??? I really don't think a 9 year old female dog should be having puppies (esp. for the first time?). What if something happens to her in the process, how would they feel? I would mention that to them if anything. It's not like she is a young chick, like 3 or 4 or even 5 or 6. But 9...? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the cut off for breeding like 7ish?
I think you read wrong Taz is 2 years old and 9 pounds

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
ew..why would someone even think to breed a mixed breed dog and I will never understand why people actually pay money to buy mixed breed dogs. If someone isn't picky, there are plenty of purebreds and mixes in shelters and rescues. I hate people that just contribute to the pet overpopulation. Ignorance

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Well, I think you already did try to 'educate' them about byb'ing and they didn't listen, so I'd just let it go. You tried and they're still doing it..so really, what can you truly do?

Personally I"d treat it as a business relationship from now on..they're providing a service to you and you're paying..but it doesn't mean you have to have dinner parties together.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I think you already did try to 'educate' them about byb'ing and they didn't listen, so I'd just let it go. You tried and they're still doing it..so really, what can you truly do?

Personally I"d treat it as a business relationship from now on..they're providing a service to you and you're paying..but it doesn't mean you have to have dinner parties together.
Ewww Ewww Ewww
These two would not ever even be invited to an outdoor Bar B Q Call me a snob but it always has been a business only relationship.

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
I feel your pain, I truly do. I am beginning to feel like the crazy dog lady. I get questions all the time about furbabies (not breeding ones, thank God), but am always so delighted to help, as long as it's before the fact. After the fact, my heart sinks, like when someone came to me so excited that their maltipoo is being shipped to them. It was already done? What could I do? Just went shopping for lots of supplies for the new baby and helped her when her little guy got neutured.

Recently, one of the nicest men in our office, asked hubby if it was okay to ask me some questions about helping them find a dog. A labrodoodle to be specific :(. Hubby said no problem, she would love to help. I went to him and said, oh I would love to help you, but am telling you right now, no labrodoodle and I can send you an email with lots of info. So, I went home and started fast to work. First explained how no reputable breeder will breed two different breeds together, supplied links to support. Then provided a ton of links for rescues/foster homes that do have mixed breeds in need to loving homes. Then provided links to smaller non-shedding, or low shedding breeds and the description of the breeds, as this is they type of dog they were looking for. A week went by and I thought I totally allianted them :(. I felt so bad. Then finally they did respond, and thanked me so much and couldn't believe all the information that there is to know. They said, they are really going to do their homework. This will be their very first fur baby and were very grateful for this information.

You did really well. The only other thing you may want to share with them would be, "You know, I could never live with myself, if I didn't share with you, that sometimes, the Mommies, when giving birth, can experience great difficutlies, or worse and would hate to see anything bad happen to your little girl. If THAT doesn't work...then you may want to share with them, that when they sell these poor little puppies, are they prepared for the new owners to call them for every blessed thing that may possibly happen to the puppy and they may expect her to pay for all the vet bills? There are people like that out there, and it may end up costing her more money in the long run. That should hit home for her, if the possiblity of something happening to her little girl doesn't. Cat, this is the God's truth, when I was doing research, I was reading an owners blasting of a breeder 7 years later, yup 7 years. Their baby, sadly had cancer, and that is such a sin, they contacted the breeder and expected her to take care of everything. Imagine, 7 years later. That floored me. It's one thing to privately let the breeder know of things that have happened, so they are informed, but to blast them publically, and imagine the hassle they put her through, man I sure would not want to deal with that.

You are in a terrible spot. But this lady has to realize, that she is getting into an area, that she should not be, for the babies sake, but if that doesn't put smelling sauce under her nose, then share with her, that the association with the new owner, does not stop at the sale of the puppy with alot of folks, and they may be on her if the puppy blinks the wrong way. A good breeder wants to know the health of the offspring for sure, but some people out there take it way to far, and may cause your friend more headaches than she bargained for.

My Leo, is starting to raise his back leg :(, we have an appointment on Friday for him with an Ortho doc. Contacting his breeder never crossed our minds, nor will we, but am telling you, some people out there will contact her for the slightest thing, and expect her to pay all the expenses, and will be an absolute nightmare to deal with.

If none of all of the above stops her, then you absolutely did the best that you could. I really hope the best for you and for this ladies little baby girl. I feel bad for this lady needing some funds to come in, I truly do, but this really isn't the way to do it, as we all know. It's a heartache waiting to happen.

Hugs to you and wishing you the best.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Malti poos and cocka poos are big business and really popular around where I am.

They get almost as much in price as purebreds do.

All that being said, maybe the dogs won't breed even with the people wanting them to... sometimes people are not knowledgable enough to get the right timing working?!

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
i remember when i was little if a dog was mixed he was a mutt, now they r called designer pups. and yes ppl will pay alot of money for all these so called designer dogs.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I've noticed such "breeds" in my area are getting cheaper and cheaper and the ads for them are staying up longer. Perhaps you could mention that in this economy people aren't as willing to pay as much for any dog and they should hold off awhile, if they want to make money. (Hopefully they will change their minds during this time.) I've heard of many mixed breed and BYB purebred litters that aren't selling until they are 6-8 months old. They are being sold for half the original asking fee or less. I know one lady that has two Standard Poodles that were free b/c the BYB couldn't sell them. I remember an add on Kijiji that ran fro 6wks here for male "maltipoo" every week the price dropped. I think all that's great b/c the BYBs will think again before having another litter. There are also many good homes out there that won't pay a lot for a mutt or a BYB dog.

I agree though that you have tried to educate them and you can't force them to be responsible.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts