Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When your fluff is in a long coat, how often do you brush and comb? Do you have to bathe more or less often? Do you use a different shampoo or conditioner then you normally would? Do you have any tips you can pass along? I sure would appreciate hearing about your experiences. Thank you.:blush:

·
Premium Member
5,482 Posts
I brush Milo every single evening - using a pink madan brush and Plush Puppy OMG grooming spray.
At the moment he is only bathed once a week but used to be twice a week ( finishing up showing him in the next few weeks)

I use pure paws shampoo and conditioner - I'd still use it if he was in a puppy cut.

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
For my dogs in long coat, I bathe every 3-5 days and brush/comb every day. I have two in full coat right now and both of them are in oil and one of them is wrapped. I use the same shampoo i always use (lately that has been Spectrum 10) but I have a final rinse of Neutrogena bath oil and a leave-in product (either a Garnier Fructis product or Coat handler) On show weekends, I use a clafirying shampoo and take them out of the oil and lately I've been using Dove Go Fresh on Emma on show days, which seems to leave her a bit silkier.

I wouldn't put them in oil though unless i 'had' to (which for me, had to do something about the matting) They also aren't on carpet and have satin bedding in their crates.

Are you going to grow your girls out?

·
Premium Member
20,059 Posts
I am no expert, but while I was showing Ava, I bathed her every 4 days and brished her twice a day. But then i over brushed and gave her split ends!!! :blink:

Life is good now, I can see her face and there are not more split ends!!!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
10,740 Posts
Two in long coat I go about 2 weeks,depends on hitch hikers, but I wash their bums w/ a little spray shampoo so they don't get urine stains. It really depends on the weather too,if it rains and they get muddy. The ones w/ shorter fur,I have to bath more often,not sure why,as their fur got longer I had to bath them less.

I comb them out about every 2 days,thy really don't matt much. I use a little Cowboy Magic,watered down and gie them a little spritz,comb them out and it makes them smell and look better.
I did trim Rylee's face back and his muzzle,kinda like a Korean cut,but modified. He looks wonderful,I can see his face so much better and it's helped his tearing..

I'm tempted to do it a shorter cut on all my Malts,the others who've clipped their,made them look so cute... but I guess the long fur ,sweeping coat is what attracted me to the breed in the first place..

One has a cottony coat,one has a silky coat. Once I went to using a comb,I find I have to groom them less than w/ a brush. I am looking forward to trying a Madan brush though, because sometimes I do have to use a brush in the beginning and finish them w/ a comb,if I forget to groom them for a couple days...

·
Premium Member
8,521 Posts
When i had Riley in coat i would brush every day and bathe once a week sometimes 2x per week. I used Natures Specialty Coconut Clean Shampoo and the Remoisturizer with Aloe Conditioner and Quicker Slicker when brushing out. I would switch it up with Pure Paws Shampoos and Conditioners. When i finished drying Riley i would then iron his coat with a straightening iron using either Quicker Slicker or Pure Paws Spray and Shine or something like that. I got his hair cut in the summer because it was too hot for him and i miss his long coat so i'm growing it back out and probably won't cut it anymore. When brushing i use a pink madan brush.

·
Premium Member
6,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For my dogs in long coat, I bathe every 3-5 days and brush/comb every day. I have two in full coat right now and both of them are in oil and one of them is wrapped. I use the same shampoo i always use (lately that has been Spectrum 10) but I have a final rinse of Neutrogena bath oil and a leave-in product (either a Garnier Fructis product or Coat handler) On show weekends, I use a clafirying shampoo and take them out of the oil and lately I've been using Dove Go Fresh on Emma on show days, which seems to leave her a bit silkier.

I wouldn't put them in oil though unless i 'had' to (which for me, had to do something about the matting) They also aren't on carpet and have satin bedding in their crates.

Are you going to grow your girls out?
They are both in long coat(not show length but just above the floor)I do have some carpet(can't help that) and I find I have to bathe at least once a week and brush/comb every day. Both have very fine, silky hair. I just want to keep them looking good.:blush:

·
Registered
423 Posts
We bathe every 5 days or so depending on how many shows we have in a weeks period.
They sleep on satin and brushed once per day actually we use a comb. JJ is kept in oil and wraps and they are changed once per day as we brush. Hope this helps

1 - 9 of 9 Posts