Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
Can anyone tell me how exactly do you clean the inside of your pup's ears.
I went to a web site to buy an ear cleaner and they have a video that shows you how to do it, it says you should put the solution into the ear canal
I don't know but it seems very umcomfortable for the pup :eek:
Help!!!!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I have an ear cleaning solution that says you are supposed to put it on a cotton ball and clean it...but then, I also have some cleaning/drying stuff that says you put it in the canal...rub it around...and then wipe it out with a cotton ball...I would think that whatever the directions are should be fine I would think.
After baths I put the cleaning/drying solution and some Swim Ear in his ears b/c I cannot keep cotton balls in there for bath. He doesn't like it...but he tolerates it. I bet it is b/c the Swim Ear has alcohol in it that makes it burn/feel cool.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AHHHHH
I feel much better now, i just wanted to make sure i wasn't hurting my baby

Thank you

Originally posted by tlunn@Nov 5 2004, 08:24 PM
I have an ear cleaning solution that says you are supposed to put it on a cotton ball and clean it...but then, I also have some cleaning/drying stuff that says you put it in the canal...rub it around...and then wipe it out with a cotton ball...I would think that whatever the directions are should be fine I would think. 
After baths I put the cleaning/drying solution and some Swim Ear in his ears b/c I cannot keep cotton balls in there for bath. He doesn't like it...but he tolerates it. I bet it is b/c the Swim Ear has alcohol in it that makes it burn/feel cool.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=15090
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
493 Posts
Originally posted by rrtcookie@Nov 5 2004, 07:04 PM
Hi guys,
  I went to a web site to buy an ear cleaner and they have a video that shows you how to do it, it says you should put the solution into the ear canal
Help!!!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=15086
[/QUOTE]

I pull the hair out of my baby's ear canal, clean the "flap" and then use a dry cotton ball to just wipe in the ear to keep it clean/dry. This was recommended by my vet, and each time he has seen my baby he has said that her ears are perfect.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Sunshine+Nov 5 2004, 08:07 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-rrtcookie
@Nov 5 2004, 07:04 PM
Hi guys,
Help!!!!
I pull the hair out of my baby's ear canal, clean the "flap" and then use a dry cotton ball to just wipe in the ear to keep it clean/dry. This was recommended by my vet, and each time he has seen my baby he has said that her ears are perfect.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=15103
[/B][/QUOTE]

I also pull the hair out of his ears about once every 2-3 weeks...his ears are beautiful also...usually I can get it out with my fingers...but sometimes I get the tweezers to be more thorough...vet said what I get with my fingers is plenty to manage them.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn+Nov 5 2004, 08:10 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 5 2004, 08:07 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-rrtcookie
@Nov 5 2004, 07:04 PM
Hi guys,
Help!!!!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=15103

[/QUOTE]

I also pull the hair out of his ears about once every 2-3 weeks...his ears are beautiful also...usually I can get it out with my fingers...but sometimes I get the tweezers to be more thorough...vet said what I get with my fingers is plenty to manage them.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=15104
[/B][/QUOTE]

Same! My vet said that you don't have to get them all, just pulling out a little each time will keep them "in check".

V

·
0 Posts
There is a lot of controvery about if any plucking, or how much should be dome on any floppy eared dogs..like Maltese. The hair con obstruct the ear canal, not let air in and lead to ear infections. Over plucking can irritate the ear canal allowing irritation, encouraging bacterial growth and lead to ear infections. Sounds like you are damned if you do and damned if you don't. My vet suggests pulling the hair that protrude,, not delving in to the canal too deeply.. a conservative aproach.
It is important to dry out the ear canal after bathing.No matter what you do some water will seep in after the bath. The drying solutions can be puit in the ear canal, massage the ear and it will flow downward. Cotton balls are good to clean the opening of the canal. Don't delve in there too deep with a q tip. The shape of the ear canal is a U shape and if you don't go in digging it is safe to do a little cleaning. As with all grooming the key is to get a puppy accustomed to the routine and then they grow up to be adults who will accespt all these rituals. I have one Maltese who is a complainer about the grooming. I just explain to Freddy that in the next life he can come back as a german short haired pointer and will not have to put up with all the grooming Maltese require. For now..I am the mommy and what I say needs to be done will get done.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
My vet said not to clean the ears out everyday because infection can occur from overcleaning. He said to clean it once a week. And as far as the solution you use, just go by its directions. Although you do want to pluck their ears about every 2-4 wks, I think you should pluck a little bit at a time in the begining. Get them use to you playing with their ears. Just an idea. Noriko was a PAIN to clean and pluck in the begining, but she's alright now. I didn't realize how much strength my 1 lb baby had until I plucked her ears. GOOD LUCK...In NOTIME, it'll be like nothing

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Nov 6 2004, 02:49 AM
.  I didn't realize how much strength my 1 lb baby had until I plucked her ears.  GOOD LUCK...In NOTIME, it'll be like nothing
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=15134
[/QUOTE]

This is how I felt with toe nail clipping and those eye drops! I have to take him to the vet for nail clips, and I gave up on the eye drops! Wasn't worth the fight. He hated it!!!!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I have hemostats to pluck the ear hair, but I found I got too carried away. My vet said the the hair that easily comes out with your fingers is what you want to remove. I use RX Ear Powder first and it comes out really easily. I have ear cleaner, but I don't use it very much because overcleaning can cause problems. A healthy ear cleans itself. I do use a mixture of alcohol and white vinegar after Lady's bath to dry her ears in case any water got in them (you can also buy swimmer's ear drops at the drug store).

Lady came with awful yeast infections in both ears, but with regular care, she hasn't had any since.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts