Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kodie is the same way after surgery... I had to fast him for 12hrs before surgery so everything was out of his system... soo it took a few days just to create poo...haha... I have even been to NYC with Kodie for a whole day trip and he will hold his poo allllllll day! (usually he poos around 4 times a day) My best advice is... that the surgery messed up your little ones system... it will take some time to get regulated again... my mom's motto is "he can only hold it for so long..." haha... I tried to give Kodie foods I knew he would eat... so that helps to fill up their system! hehe...

BTW... Kodie walks when he goes too!

I'm not expert... i'm probably totally wrong... just thought i'd let you know your not alone.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ummm... well... i'm tryin to think of what you can give her to eat that will make her poo... ummm.. not rice... that binds them up... PM JMM... she always has ideas!
BTW.. the vet said otherwise shes healthy?

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Lexi did that after she was spayed. In her case it was because the first time she went poo it really hurt her (sore from surgery). The vet had me give her some canned pumpkin. It is like a doggy laxative. Try giving her a couple tablespoons with her food.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Pumpkin is great. It's high fiber and will get things going.......! Lady loves her pumpkin. You can also try high fiber veggies or even a little Benefiber or Metamucil.

If Cookie is like my Lady and many dogs, he needs to walk to get the bowels moving. Since he's not able to, I'd suspect that has something to do with it also. When Lady has flare ups of her arthritis it's hard for her to poop, too.

Since the vet has checked him out and there's no physical problem, hopefully things will start working normally again soon!

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
I would add pumpkin, green beans, or benefiber to her food. Eating irregularly will make her have to go irregularly. A lot of dogs also get use to moving around to stimulate them to defecate which she is not getting now. The blood is probably from straining and is no big deal. What medications is she on? How is she getting around now?

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Awww, poor Cookie, I would also say increase the vegetables. This thread made me think of something my 6 year old sister in law(yes her and hubby are 18 years apart), said when she was at our apt a couple of weeks ago. There was this strange sound on the tv, on some show we were watching and then she says, "That sounds like a cat when you squeeze them"

·
Registered
422 Posts
She's probably in pain, for some reason. Give her foods that will help her move things along, like string beans, lima beans (Zoey loves them and I give her a few baby ones when I eat them), sweet potatoes, etc. In other words, the things that will move you will move doggie.
Good luck,
Ann

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
You know she might not be able to round her back and get a good hold on her back legs after her surgery. When I see the trouble Alex has managing his one leg since we took off the bandage, I wonder how Cookie is doing with 2 legs. At least Alex has the other leg to help him out. By the way, how is she doing ? Can she stand on her legs yet ? How did she act when they took the bandage off ? Alex is not putting his leg down yet, but he had the surgery a week later then Cookie. He still has the staples in it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts