Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use an extra (NOT) closet for Dixie's things. I have a lot of leashes and haven't come up with a satisfactory way of storing them so that it is easy to choose one to use. I used to clip them on a hanger and hang it over the rod with her dresses and harnesses. I'm embarrassed to say that the number of leashes have gone beyond that way of storing them. :blush:

Any ideas? How do you store your leashes?
Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
20,059 Posts
Well I'm not Ms. Organization....:blush:

But I do keep my "regular" walking leashes (with harnesses attached) hanging on coat hooks by the front door.

Then I have a pretty basket near the door with the 1,000 other leashes in it.

·
Premium Member
8,521 Posts
Good post, i'm curious to see how others store theirs and maybe i can get some ideas. Currently our leashes and harnesses are store in a rubbermaid container and it just makes it a pain to sort through them to get the ones i want at the moment. I'm like you Elaine and have tons of leashes and harnesses.:blush:

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I have a basket for Rocky that I keep on a niche ledge. In it I have some of his toys and one leash and one harness that he uses for walks. I don't have any other leashes!:HistericalSmiley:I better catch up!

·
Registered
754 Posts
I keep mine in a basket by the door.

I always thought the little doggy tail hooks from Ikea would be a cute and cheap way to hang them in a mud room or something. IKEA | Laundry & cleaning | Drying | BÄSTIS | Hook

Maybe a few belt hangers would work nicely for you in the closet though? Like this sort of a thing: The Container Store > Walnut 12-Belt Hardwood Hanger

Or like these: cedar wood products, cedar belt hanger, wooden hangers

Or is that what you were doing already?

ETA: Or here's a tie hanger I noticed after I posted: http://www.containerstore.com/shop/...sScarves?productId=10011716&green=15244621184

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
I keep the two "in seasons" on hooks in the pantry next to our door. The "off season" ones are put away in a hat box that I used to store his clothes and the other "in season" ones that are not currently the favorite are stored on hooks in my closet.

Ex.
Hunter has 5 leash/harness/collar sets for fall/winter. Currently 2 are in the pantry, 3 are hanging in my closet (christmas ones, jan/feb one, and a random one). His summer leashes and harnesses are in the hat box!

·
Premium Member
8,521 Posts

I always thought the little doggy tail hooks from Ikea would be a cute and cheap way to hang them in a mud room or something. IKEA | Laundry & cleaning | Drying | BÄSTIS | Hook

Maybe a few belt hangers would work nicely for you in the closet though? Like this sort of a thing: The Container Store > Walnut 12-Belt Hardwood Hanger

ETA: Or here's a tie hanger I noticed after I posted: The Container Store > Walnut 24-Tie Hardwood Hanger

I love the idea of a belt or tie hanger, i'll have to check them out. I think that may work! :chili::chili:

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
I keep the harnesses and leashes that I'm not using in a container/ basket ( from the - Hold Everything Store) it is divided into slots - it was intended for shoes, to keep under a bed. It works out perfectly for the leashes and harnesses, at least for me.

I keep the basket/container in the hall coat closet.

Allie

·
Premium Member
6,090 Posts
I have a large wooden key rack with several knobs that I hang a few on in my kitchen closet by the door. The rest I keep in a drawer in the girls' room.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
:brownbag: I am quite disorganized, so ours are just randomly here and there. Leashes are usually hung on doorknobs, and the harnesses usually end up on the fireplace hearth next to the clothes he rarely wears.

·
Premium Member
11,148 Posts
I'm glad you brought this up Elaine. I've been wondering about a better way to store harness's & leashes. I'm always digging through the bins & baskets. I do like the necktie hanger, but I'd need a few of them. :blush:

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I'm not Ms. Organization....:blush:

But I do keep my "regular" walking leashes (with harnesses attached) hanging on coat hooks by the front door.

Then I have a pretty basket near the door with the 1,000 other leashes in it.
I have a basket by the door too. I keep a few leashes & harnesses I've chosen for a few days in it. It's the ones not chosen I need a place for.:huh:

Good post, i'm curious to see how others store theirs and maybe i can get some ideas. Currently our leashes and harnesses are store in a rubbermaid container and it just makes it a pain to sort through them to get the ones i want at the moment. I'm like you Elaine and have tons of leashes and harnesses.:blush:
I was thinking of sorting by color and using zip lock bags but I think that would be worse than the rubbermaid. If I didn't have so many I wouldn't have this problem. Yours are times 3 :w00t:!

I have a basket for Rocky that I keep on a niche ledge. In it I have some of his toys and one leash and one harness that he uses for walks. I don't have any other leashes!:HistericalSmiley:I better catch up!
No no!!! Don't catch up, stay as you are. You really only need one leash and one harness. If you buy more harnesses then you need more leashes to match them you see. That's what happened to me. Don't do it!!!

I'm ashamed to say I only have one leash, one collar and one harness. I better get busy and buy some more!
My advice is stick with the one leash and harness. When it gets old and done in buy another one. :HistericalSmiley:

Those are adorable but I'd need a lot of tails! I may just get a couple of those they are so cute.

ETA: Or here's a tie hanger I noticed after I posted: The Container Store > Walnut 24-Tie Hardwood Hanger
Fantastic websites you've given! I really like the idea of the belt hangers. I'm going to look these sites over well. Thanks!!!

I keep the two "in seasons" on hooks in the pantry next to our door. The "off season" ones are put away in a hat box that I used to store his clothes and the other "in season" ones that are not currently the favorite are stored on hooks in my closet.

Ex.
Hunter has 5 leash/harness/collar sets for fall/winter. Currently 2 are in the pantry, 3 are hanging in my closet (christmas ones, jan/feb one, and a random one). His summer leashes and harnesses are in the hat box!
Sounds like you have Hunter's leashes well organized Erin. That's all any dog needs. My leash obsession got a bit out of hand. :blush:

I love the idea of a belt or tie hanger, i'll have to check them out. I think that may work! :chili::chili:
I love the belt or tie hangers too Debbie. I'm definitely checking those out too.

I keep the harnesses and leashes that I'm not using in a container/ basket ( from the - Hold Everything Store) it is divided into slots - it was intended for shoes, to keep under a bed. It works out perfectly for the leashes and harnesses, at least for me.

I keep the basket/container in the hall coat closet.

Allie
That sounds like a good idea too. Trouble is I think Hold Everything Store has gone out of business and I'd need a few containers.

I have a large wooden key rack with several knobs that I hang a few on in my kitchen closet by the door. The rest I keep in a drawer in the girls' room.:thumbsup:
That's a good idea too Allison.

Thanks for all the great suggestions everyone. I knew you'd have great ideas.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
:brownbag: I am quite disorganized, so ours are just randomly here and there. Leashes are usually hung on doorknobs, and the harnesses usually end up on the fireplace hearth next to the clothes he rarely wears.
You're better off that Micky doesn't wear clothes Becky. At least you know where the leashes and harnesses are!

I'm glad you brought this up Elaine. I've been wondering about a better way to store harness's & leashes. I'm always digging through the bins & baskets. I do like the necktie hanger, but I'd need a few of them. :blush:
I like the necktie or belt hanger idea too Sue. I'd need a few too but I think it will work better than what I'm doing now.
I do like what I recently started using to hang harness dresses and dresses on. I bought tie hangers at Walmart. I'd show you a picture but I can't find one. They are like little mini hangers with 6 sets of arms, one under the other. I put one dress on each set of arms so they take up less room in the closet. I'll keep looking for a picture. My explanation isn't that great. LOL
Thank you for your input everyone.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Okay so get this...I keep Bailey's leashes and harnesses (along with other stuff) in a cat litter box! :w00t:

Okay, so the litter box is NOT used...I bought it for my cat a while ago and never ended up using it so its currently serving as a storage bin for some of Bailey's things :HistericalSmiley:

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay so get this...I keep Bailey's leashes and harnesses (along with other stuff) in a cat litter box! :w00t:

Okay, so the litter box is NOT used...I bought it for my cat a while ago and never ended up using it so its currently serving as a storage bin for some of Bailey's things :HistericalSmiley:
What ever works! :smrofl:

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
You're better off that Micky doesn't wear clothes Becky. At least you know where the leashes and harnesses are!

I like the necktie or belt hanger idea too Sue. I'd need a few too but I think it will work better than what I'm doing now.
I do like what I recently started using to hang harness dresses and dresses on. I bought tie hangers at Walmart. I'd show you a picture but I can't find one. They are like little mini hangers with 6 sets of arms, one under the other. I put one dress on each set of arms so they take up less room in the closet. I'll keep looking for a picture. My explanation isn't that great. LOL
Thank you for your input everyone.
Are you talking about the "fold down" hangers? I've seen them for human size clothes, but I haven't seen the mini sizes. I'll have to look for them.

I have the 2 leads and harnesses on hooks next to the door that we go out for our walkies. (Guess I'm going to be adding a third lead soon. Need to find a tiny harness. :)

For the others that I use less often, I use a tie hanger. I have one for Lacie's and another for Tilly's. Guess I'll be getting a third for Secret's. LOL

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
I saw this at a pet store near us so I copied it. I bought the large loose leaf binder rings at office depot or staples see link

OfficeMax Loose-Leaf Book Rings

then I put the leashes on this and hang on an over the door hanger rack kind of like this

6-Hook Over-the-Door Rack - Bed Bath & Beyond&

I also put all the collars on the rings and hang them on a belt rack hanger

can you tell we have alot of collars and leashes LOLLLLL :HistericalSmiley::HistericalSmiley:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts