Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
i use them for many things..but u shouldnt need them at all. it isnt really necessary to pluck them

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Originally posted by LadyMontava@Aug 24 2005, 05:34 PM
i use them for many things..but u shouldnt need them at all.  it isnt really necessary to pluck them
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=93786
[/QUOTE]

I have started doing Rex's grooming, instead of taking him in monthly. I plan to only have him professionally groomed every 3 to 4 months now. The only thing I havent dont is plucked his ears. That just seems like a terrible thing to do, although the groomers did it to him. I clean his ears regularly with his ear solution. I am glad to hear that they really dont need to be plucked. Will it cause problems later if they arent plucked?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I have not plucked Indy's ears yet, the Vet said awhile back that he didn't need it, so I didn't. Then his hair grew longer and longer in his ears, so I cut the long hair inside so I could clean the ears better, now I think I will start plucking too and I bought an ear powder to help with that as well as keep his ears in good shape
I am nervous about plucking, I just don't want to hurt him. Our breeder showed us how to do it when we picked him up, she said to use my fingers it would be less likely to hurt him that way, I guess after the first time I will be less nervous.....

If there isn't a lot of hair and wax isn't building up you can wait on plucking, just keep them clean and dry, a good ear cleaner and cotton balls works well and after that an ear powder.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have one of those but find conventional tweezer better. I use ear powder I buy from pet shop but I know some sugessted baking soda, have not tried it so have no comments.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
the dermatologists recommend not to pluck the hair...so i leave parkers ears alone now

·
Registered
751 Posts
Our Vet also told us to NOT pluck the ears. Everytime I have taken my furball to the Vet he has told me his ears look good.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I do pluck the hair out of the ears of most of my Maltese.......the reason is because they can get moisture in there since they have drop ears. The moisture can lead to yeast infections and worse. One of my very first rescue girls had such a bad infection in her ears that it took me a whole year to get them cleaned up and back to normal..........because of her ears are always a priority here.

There are exceptions to every rule and Vanity has never had her ear hair plucked because she doesn't have any.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Lady came to me with horrible yeast infections in both ears. The poor thing could barely hear. My vet plucked her ears then and told me to keep them plucked to prevent further infections which I have done faithfully for 5 years. She hasn't had any more problems.

I just use my fingers and ear powder now. It's safer with your fingers because only the hair that's supposed to come out, the hair inside the canal, comes out. With hemostats, you can accidentally pull the hair on the flap itself which is really painful.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.