Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has to be one of the craziest stories I've heard in a while. I found it on the Court TV website.

Police: Woman shoplifted, dyed puppies
When Sheila Marie Hoffart tried to sell a purple sheltie puppy to a friend, the other woman became suspicious about the colorful canine's origin.

Police in Moorhead, Minn., say the new dog owner's intuition was not off the mark, because the pooch and a second puppy had been shoplifted from a pet store.

Hoffart, 19, allegedly visited the Canine Country Club, a local pet store, in late January and stole a shih tzu puppy, which she placed in a backpack. She returned two weeks later and stole the sheltie puppy. The dye jobs occurred after each theft.

According to Sgt. Joel Scharf of the Moorhead Police Department, Hoffart used human hair dye to color the shih tzu's coat blue and the sheltie's coat purple. She later told authorities that she had wanted to make the dogs more unique.

Store manager Terry Thompson said she filed a police report on Feb. 8, a day after the sheltie disappeared, and she also released information about the missing dogs to the public. Hoffart's friend, suspecting that her new puppy was stolen, brought the canine to the pet store and gave the manager Hoffart's name and address. Thompson turned the information over to Moorhead police.

Sgt. Scharf said Hoffart admitted taking the puppies, but was not arrested. Hoffart will make her first court appearance on April 18.

Hoffart's roommate returned the purple shih tzu to the pet store, where it was later sold. Thompson bought the sheltie, but said the blue dye job took about a month to fade and that the dog is now fighting an infection.

"[The dog] is very sick, but the vet can't say for sure that the dye caused the infection," Thompson said. "I plan to be in court to tell [Hoffart] about the damage she's done to these animals."

·
Registered
3,483 Posts

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko+Apr 20 2005, 03:29 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 20 2005, 01:13 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-doctorcathy
@Apr 20 2005, 12:20 PM
what a freak

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=54504

Are you referring to the pet store owner, the person who purchased the sheltie, or the girl who stole the dogs? To me, they all sound a bit off....
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=54525

[/QUOTE]
HAH! You're so right!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=54577
[/B][/QUOTE]

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
:new_Eyecrazy:

im in shock..

first off, why would you dye a dogs hair?! secondly, what kind of petstore owner doesn't notice someone shoplifting a puppy?! finally.. who would EVER buy a purple sheltie?!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What got me was that she thought she was passing them off as "rare". I'm convinced.... she had to be on something!

·
Registered
76 Posts
well, not to excuse the theif but since she was only 19, I can think of a lot of incredibly stupid things I did around that age.

And what kind of pet store has the puppies so accessible that someone could steal them? And after one was stolen, didn't do something to ensure it wouldn't happen again?

But as far as who would adopt that blue Shi-Tzu or purple sheltie - - - -

I would be all to convinced in that moment that they were being abused/mistreated and would want to do my best to find them a more suitable home (again, assuming not paying huge sums of money here).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts