Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

How Expensive Are Dogs?

1K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  Maxismom 
#1 ·
Car-sized price for keeping a dog in Britain

LONDON (AFP) - The average dog in Britain costs 20,000 pounds (29,000 euros, 38,000 dollars) to look after over the course of its lifetime, more than a luxury car or round the world cruise.

In its annual Cost of a Dog report published on Sunday, pet insurer Churchill said the Great Dane was the most expensive dog, costing 31,840 pounds over its average 10-year life, followed by the Rottweiler at 24,340 pounds.

Mongrels costs 20,998 pounds, while Jack Russells were a relative bargain at 17,476 pounds, said the insurer, which released its findings ahead of Crufts, the world's biggest dog show, opening Thursday in Birmingham, central England.

By comparison, a Jaguar X-type, Saab 9-5 or Volkswagen Passat sell in Britain for around 20,000 pounds, which is also the same price for a round-the-world cruise on Queen Elizabeth II.

"With hundreds of dog lovers expected to visit Crufts this week, many will come away keen to add a pedigree dog to their family," said Julie Owens, Churchill's head of pet insurance.

"However, getting a dog is a serious, long-term financial commitment. We advise prospective dog owners to take a great deal of time choosing the most suitable pet for their finances and lifestyle".

The findings emerged from a survey of 2,000 adults conducted by polling institute YouGov.

I wonder how many people think about this before they purchase a puppy?

I'll bet the figure for a Maltese is even higher, with all their health problems and the cost of grooming!

See less See more
#2 ·
When I got Holli I knew she would be an expense, but I didnt know how much of one. I didnt really have much money either, working and going to school still. I dont know WHAT I would have done had something happened to her. I had my parents (thankfully dog lovers) as backup, but once she turned 12 the expenses started to get out of hand- I dont know how I would have managed if I wasnt working full time and able to do it on my own.

It worries me a little about young girls running out and getting one like I did, not thinking of the expenses. And it seems like costs have gone up, but then again we are able to do more for our dogs than maybe 15 years ago...

interesting article

#3 ·
Let's just say that within the first 1yr 1/2 of having Kodie I have paid most of his puppy shot visits in cash... and I have MAX my credit card which has a limit of 4,400... with all the liver tests, blood tests, hospitals, internal medicine doctors, and kodie having his neutering/baby teeth pulled in a special hospital. I spent well OVER $5,000 including all the cash doctor visits I have paid for. And... again... this is ONLY the first 1yr 1/2 of Kodie's life. -_- Not to mention all the other things that are necessary for your puppy... bed, bowls, food...etc.

WORTH EVERY PENNY OF IT TOO.. I LOVE MY LITTLE BOY

#5 ·
Originally posted by LadysMom@Mar 9 2005, 03:28 PM

LONDON (AFP) - The average dog in Britain costs 20,000 pounds (29,000 euros, 38,000 dollars) to look after over the course of its lifetime, more than a luxury car or round the world cruise.

By comparison, a Jaguar X-type, Saab 9-5 or Volkswagen Passat sell in Britain for around 20,000 pounds, which is also the same price for a round-the-world cruise on Queen Elizabeth II.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=41438
[/QUOTE]

Originally posted by Kodie@Mar 9 2005, 03:43 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=41444
[/QUOTE]

I think they are worth every penny too considering I would rather have 15 or so years with a companion and family member than a sprots car or a cruise!

#6 ·
Originally posted by FannyMay+Mar 9 2005, 02:54 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-LadysMom
@Mar 9 2005, 03:28 PM

[/QUOTE]

I think they are worth every penny too considering I would rather have 15 or so years with a companion and family member than a sprots car or a cruise!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=41452
[/B][/QUOTE]

When i got Sunny i kept trying to convince people what a bargin it was getting a dog, i mean not many other things (even for $20,000) that you keep on enjoying for as long as you do a dog.
The new sports car dosnt look so special in about 4 years and the cruise what a few weeks tops?

#7 ·
Originally posted by FannyMay+Mar 9 2005, 02:54 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-LadysMom
@Mar 9 2005, 03:28 PM

[/QUOTE]

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=41452
[/B][/QUOTE]
I agree!! These little ones are priceless

#10 ·
I have no idea how much I have spent in the last 5 years.....I am almost scared to think about it. Luckily, most of my kids have been really healthy. Just the routine vet checks, shots and teeth cleaning. I do all my grooming myself but I can only dare guess how much I have spent on grooming supplies! I will throw toys and food in but do we have to include dog carriers and clothes?

My big ticket items are Waffle's eye which required an operation due to an ulcer and Nibbler had a series of tests done.

#11 ·
So far my biggest expenses have been those gosh darned dog carriers that I keep buying. Oh, and her spay too. That ran us $360. Hopefully that will be it for a while. I know that vet expenses can run up though. We had a wonderful cat who left this world at almost 19 years old. Toward the end, we were spending around $200 a month on meds, visits and tests. If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't have waited so long, but not because of the money. She was really suffering the last months of her life. That still was the hardest decision my husband and I have made. After she was gone, I swore I could never go through that again. It took me over two years to agree to consider getting another pet. She was born in 1983, well before I met my husband. I got her from the Humane Society when she was just 8 weeks old.

#12 ·
Originally posted by saltymalty@Mar 10 2005, 11:41 AM
So far my biggest expenses have been those gosh darned dog carriers that I keep buying.  Oh, and her spay too.  That ran us $360.  Hopefully that will be it for a while.  I know that vet expenses can run up though.  We had a wonderful cat who left this world at almost 19 years old.  Toward the end, we were spending around $200 a month on meds, visits and tests.   If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't have waited so long, but not because of the money.  She was really suffering the last months of her life.  That still was the hardest decision my husband and I have made.  After she was gone, I swore I could never go through that again.  It took me over two years to agree to consider getting another pet.  She was born in 1983, well before I met my husband.  I got her from the Humane Society when she was just 8 weeks old.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=41801
[/QUOTE]

As you point out, it's those later-in-life expenses that can really mount up, although with Maltese's tendency for liver disease and luxating patellas, they can also rack up some serious bills early.

In Lady case, her genetic time bombs (she's a rescue originally from a puppy mill) started going off when she was 4 years old. She was perfectly healthy up until then. I now spend $150 a month on meds and diabetic supplies alone. Just a fairly routine vet visit usually costs me that much if lab tests are needed

That's why I always stress to people when consdiering adding another dog or even getting the first one, to make sure you are financially prepared for the "long haul", not just the first year shots-and-spay/neuter. Some recommend starting out with as much money in a special account as the price of the puppy and then adding to it monthly to cover future medical expenses. (Most pet insurance doesn't cover genetic disorders including knee surgery). Another good suggestion is not to get puppies too close in age as those senior vet bills will be double.

#13 ·
A maltese love is well worth every penny! I totally agree with that. I would pick my dogs over friends! I've had bad luck with people who I THOUGHT were my friends. Well, screw them! My babies are much more LOYAL and CUTER than they are! I don't care to waste my money or time on losers!

#15 ·
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Mar 10 2005, 12:24 PM
A maltese love is well worth every penny!  I totally agree with that.  I would pick my dogs over friends!  I've had bad luck with people who I THOUGHT were my friends.  Well, screw them!  My babies are much more LOYAL and CUTER than they are!  I don't care to waste my money or time on losers!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=41826
[/QUOTE]

Yep Sunny dosnt care what i am wearing or how my hair looks! and i am sure how much a spend of Sunny is at least tripled in how much i spend on cloths hair and makeup

#16 ·
I have a special account set aside for my furkids. They are for emergencies and have come in very handy in the past. With all my kids so close in age, I am sure I am going to need it badly in about 5-8 years. My oldest is 5 right now and they are all around a year apart.

#17 ·
To put cost in a different perspective: my husband and I have decided not to have more children (our son is 18). We have decided, instead, to have Maltese "kids". Certainly, they have their costs, but nothing like the cost of raising a child. :D

For those of you considering costs of multiples--we have often had a three dog home with at least one being senior (and still do). Without question, seniors cost far, far more in health care than a healthy young dog. Our senior who passed away last year had serious health complications in her final years, and we had several emergency visits to the vet. These, plus testing and medications, cost thousands of dollars added up--and they didn't involve surgery.

Ozzy, our Chihuahua mix who has always been very healthy, is now 8 years old. He had a collapse this year (no identifiable cause--all testing and x-rays came up negative--we think it might have been grief and depression after April passed away--he's been happy and healthy since) and we had him in for dental care. Those two events alone cost $$$.

I suppose it all boils down to values. The value of having furbabies in our lives far outweighs any costs they incur. We choose to spend our money on them rather than on, say, expensive cars, elaborate entertainment, jewelry, or other things...Because, for us: the best things in life aren't things

#18 ·
Originally posted by SylphidesMom@Mar 12 2005, 02:22 PM
I suppose it all boils down to values.  The value of having furbabies in our lives far outweighs any costs they incur.  We choose to spend our money on them rather than on, say, expensive cars, elaborate entertainment, jewelry, or other things...Because, for us:  the best things in life aren't things 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=42578
[/QUOTE]

Very well said

#19 ·
Originally posted by puppylucy+Mar 12 2005, 01:11 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-SylphidesMom
@Mar 12 2005, 02:22 PM
I suppose it all boils down to values.  The value of having furbabies in our lives far outweighs any costs they incur.  We choose to spend our money on them rather than on, say, expensive cars, elaborate entertainment, jewelry, or other things...Because, for us:  the best things in life aren't things 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=42578
Very well said

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=42606
[/B][/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more! I just wish there was an automatic deduction from my paycheck for PetSmart; would be SO much more convenient!

#20 ·
Originally posted by CharmyPoo@Mar 12 2005, 02:19 PM
I have a special account set aside for my furkids.  They are for emergencies and have come in very handy in the past.  With all my kids so close in age, I am sure I am going to need it badly in about 5-8 years.  My oldest is 5 right now and they are all around a year apart.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=42576
[/QUOTE]
What a good idea! I never thought to put aside money for just kodie... i mean I would just save money ...but this would kinda be like a saving for a child (but for our babies instead)!

#21 ·
Maxi costs me plenty he will be 18 months on March 16th i have had him since he is 10 weeks old i would say the first few months i spent thousands, on vet bills , toys, clothes, food , treats health insurance, grooming now i think it costs me
between his dog walker food , treats , grooming about 300 a month his health insurance costs me 31.00 a month i happily pay it
he is worth every dime and more but it is a serious committment and costs plenty

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.