Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering because one of my Corgis needs about 3 miles a day to keep her from digging. The other one at age 11 is slowing ndown and no longer happy to walk that far, so I was thinking of separating their walks. Now I have Miss P, who BURNS UP outside in the heat and is content to play many games of fetch and run in the back yard a few times a day. So far her big walk is to the end of our very short driveway and back.:wub:

So now that it is cooler outside, I was thinking she and Fella could have one walk together, a shorter one than speedy Noelle; but how far is too far for these little guys?

I don't mind dividing walking into 2 or even 3 separate times. It's good for me!

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
We start our daily walk all :dothewave:5 fluffs together. However, I do bring a pouch with me for the little :tender:fluff and when she starts panting I know she is tired and I put her in the pouch:HistericalSmiley:

One of my fluffs who is the oldest one, doesn't always want to walk with us, so I leave her at home and she doesn't mind being left in peace for a while.:Happy_Dance:

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
usually 2.5 miles.

·
Registered
863 Posts
About 1-2 miles a day. One of mine could do more because she loves walks but my other one, not so much, and she is the younger one.

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
Mine have done over 4 miles but we usually keep it to about 2.5 or so. I have 4 malts and a cocker,it looks like dust mop sled dog team...mush...

·
Premium Member
6,086 Posts
Two miles is the max for my girls. They do best with a mile-and-a-half walk. I have a puppy pouch, too. Perhaps you could get one so you don't have to do so many walks. You could go on and take little Piper, and when she tires, just plop her in your pouch. My Rose is the slower of my two, and she would just as soon ride all the way.:HistericalSmiley:

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
We don't go near as far as everyone else we only go around the block which is about 1/3 of a mile and we are gone only about 5 to 10 minutes.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Natasha

Natasha is still good for about two miles. She's not shy about letting us know when she's done walking, she'll just stop, sit and give us "the look". She is then deposited into her backpack for the remainder of the journey.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
i think about two miles , dolce loves walking now , and to think this was the fluff that would plop to the ground.

·
Premium Member
8,623 Posts
Wow, I'm surprised by how far some of them walk. I wish I could take mine that far but our walks are much shorter. Zoey's very enthusiastic about walks and walks with such gusto that we usually only make it a couple of blocks from our house. Tess can go a little farther but Emy's so small she's good with a couple of blocks too. All three love to hear the words "let's go for a walk". We haven't walked as much this summer because of the heat but its cooling down now so I'm we'll start going more often.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Don't take Ollie out walking as much as I would like to. He does too much sniffing and pulling...drives me crazy! He has a harness so the pulling doesn't seem to hurt him. It is a SureFit harness. We go to the dog park occasionally and he has started going to daycare once in a while. I am up for any suggestons to help get him out more....we have to drive to get anywhere to walk.

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
I start out with Ava in the stroller and the other three walking. Two or three blocks later Miss Abbey acts like she's dying :faint: and begs to get in the stroller. Arch is very over weight now and I let him walk until I feel he's had enough - the tongue is hanging way out and he slows down - then it's in the stroller for him too at maybe about 1/2 mile. Tink walks the whole 1 mile. I'd put him in the stroller too but he goes nuts in there. :blink:

Now that it should be cooling down soon (I hope) we'll be walking more and I may try taking 2 at a time. (maybe)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks y'all.... picturing all these stories has me laughing! :HistericalSmiley:

So, I'm not being cruel by taking everybody on a long walk (the pouch is a GREAT idea, why didn't I think of that???).

My happiest times used to be when I had 3 healthy dogs, 2 corgis and a sheltie rescue, they would wake me up promptly at 7 and we were out the door... my eyes were barely open, I am NOT a morning person... we walked 3 or even 4 miles, sometimes we drove someplace else for our walk. If I got out my walking shoes at some other time of day, everybody was at the front door hopping up and down. :D So you see why I'd like Piper to join us. She is pretty high energy. Haven't walked since June because of heat and my broken foot. :angry: But this a.m. it was in the 60s, makes me itch to get going.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
AAAhhh the walk. First it starts out by Alvin looking at me :huh: are you
gone to take us for a walk or what? Then they see the leashes :aktion033: and
Alvin and Chloe go crazy:yahoo:, pulling and each other leash.:w00t: If I take
Reginald he is in the stroller, usually with Libby calling shotgun :biggrin:. I think
before we get out the door it is a 5-10 minute process:smilie_tischkante:. Chloe is on
the left and Alvin on the right. We usually walk aroung the block if I have
them all. Sometimes Libby wants down so I let her walk which I prefer because
she needs to exercise at her age. If it were up to Alvin he would
always be in the stroller, he thinks he looks coolB). I make him walk
if we are going around the block, if further after a while he hitches a ride.
He gets very hot. :sweatdrop: Chloe will walk forever. She just loves to shake
what her momma gave her. :HistericalSmiley: If I leave Reginald home, I usually don't take the stroller
unless it's a longer walk.
It seems if it is a longer walk and I have the stroller atleast 2 if not all end up hitching a ride :innocent:.
So I think I have been tricked their not the ones getting a longer walk I am.:HistericalSmiley::rofl::yes:

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
If he could, I feel Aolani would walk all day. I don't know how far we've walked, but we've walked for more than a couple of hours several times. I always carry a bottle of water for him though and give him his breaks when he needs them - he basically just stops waling in the shade and lays for a little bit then soon after he gets up and we're off again.

·
Premium Member
2,077 Posts
For my dogs Dr. Becker recommended at least 20 minutes of non-stop walking no pooping peeing or stopping just keep walking. So I don't really go by distance.

Once we hit 20 minutes I let them keep going till they let me know they're ready to quit. The longest we've been out is an hour and usually we come back cuz it's dark not because they are ready to quit. They love it. On a cool day my Havanese and my Griffon could go non-stop for several hours. I've only had to pick Izzy up and carry her once when she got a little hot and tired.

I've just started working with my guys on the treadmill to get ready for winter - Izzy loves it she hops up on her own raring to go. The other two aren't so sure about it yet.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Dora usually only goes around the block, but if you let her go till she is tired it would probably be an hour or two. When we go on a long walk and she gets tired we just take turns carrying her for a few minutes or take a break and she's good to go for a little while longer. She loves it. Maybe when it gets cooler we will start lengthening the daily walk. :)

·
Registered
268 Posts
Our poor little Diamond has NOT been a fan of walking lately.

First it's the battle with the leash. Diamond sees the leash, grabs some kibble, runs either on top of our couch....or simply tries to run away somewhere else.

Once we get Diamond's leash on...she's all excited and runs out of our condo doors.

However....

Once she gets about a foot out of our condo doors...Diamond digs in her heels and refuses to walk. She's content to watch all of the people pass by our condo. We usually have to pick her up to take her to some grass. If we lead her to the treat store...Diamond is willing to walk around 15 minutes. But really, that's it. She used to walk with me for about half an hour to 1 hour a day. Now, I'm lucky to get 10 mins.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Spookie could go for a lot longer than I can. I'm too wobbly for much more than 15 min or so. Plus it's yucky hot, will be till late Nov. So we go to the dog park, she runs off that puppy energy, quits and lays down to watch the others.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts