Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Before I ask my question, I would just like to say hello! I never have officially introduced myself. Thank you to everyone for all of the great information on this website! I do not yet have a dog, but I am research breeds, and trying to decide on what breed would be the best for my lifestyle. I love maltese, my only hesitation so far is the tear staining I have read about.

As far as my question, I was just wondering, how do you all socialize your new puppies if they have not yet had all of their puppy shots? Or, if you get your dog from a reputable breeder at the correct age (12-16 weeks?), do they already have all of their shots?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
After pup has it's vets ok to meet the world, it's not hard to do. Car rides to fun places, then slowly meet new people, places, and animals. Puppy needs to meet people of all shapes, sizes, colors, and abilities. Puppy kindergarten is an excellent place to meet other dogs. A visit to petsMart to buy toys is good too.

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
Tearstaining in a breed would be at the bottom of my list, honestly. It's a cosmetic issue typically and doesn't affect your real enjoyment of the breed. I would be concerned with compatibility, health and temperament first! And maltese are typically a very very sweet breed.

Good breeders should have already started the socialization process. Last shots are given at 16 weeks, so while you shouldn't put your puppy down on the ground outside before that time, you can still do a lot to get them out and about and exposed to new stuff. Trips to petsmart or Petco are always good! And puppy k classes are also helpful.

With maltese, just make sure you dont' buy from a breeder who sells them before 12 weeks (if you are in the US, at least!)

Good luck with your research!

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Note: These professional organizations recommend beginning socialization and training BEFORE twelve weeks and give reasons why in these articles:

The American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior's (veterinary behaviorists) position statement on puppy socialization:

http://www.avsabonline.org/avsabonline/images/stories/Position_Statements/puppy%20socialization.pdf

Here's a statement which is on the Animal Behavior Resources Institute's (various veterinary behavior professionals) site:

ABRI:

One from the Association of Pet Dog Trainers. (When the link opens, scroll back to page one):

http://www.apdt.com/veterinary/assets/pdf/Messer_ND06.pdf

Lastly, one from DVM360 a site for veterinarians:

Early puppy socialization classes: risks vs. benefits - Veterinary Medicine

·
Registered
41 Posts
Great suggestions above! I also STRONGLY suggest doggy daycare with caring workers, one with webcam that you can check in on their website, with a good person to dog ratio supervision at all times, and that separate small and large breeds. As far as personality goes, it was the best thing we could do for her because now at 4 and a half years old, she is the sweetest, most loving thing to ANYONE or ANY DOG that comes her way. There is no person and no animal that she is fearful of, and she's constantly full of life and joy. I really owe it to daycare. In fact, she's so social, I actually have to protect her sometimes because it will be obvious to me that a person she is interested in is NOT interested in her, or has a dog that is showing signs of fear, etc. She really is clueless lol. Thinks everything and everyone is the greatest in the world.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
You can take a young pup to all sorts of places that are not dog related. Ask at stores if you can come in for the puppy to be pet. Invite healthy, vaccinated dogs belonging to friends over for visit. Get into puppy k as soon as possible. Read the links Joy posted.

·
Premium Member
6,086 Posts
Hi all,

Before I ask my question, I would just like to say hello! I never have officially introduced myself. Thank you to everyone for all of the great information on this website! I do not yet have a dog, but I am research breeds, and trying to decide on what breed would be the best for my lifestyle. I love maltese, my only hesitation so far is the tear staining I have read about.

As far as my question, I was just wondering, how do you all socialize your new puppies if they have not yet had all of their puppy shots? Or, if you get your dog from a reputable breeder at the correct age (12-16 weeks?), do they already have all of their shots?

Thanks!
I hope I don't ruffle any feathers and I agree with all said, but the tendency to stain can be hereditary. One of my girls has NEVER had any staining even as a puppy. The other girl has very light staining but it seems to be clearing up on its own. The shape and structure of the eye itself has more to do with staining, in my opinion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts