Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning, lovely ladies,
i wonder if more experienced Maltese owners will share their experience. I have a lovely 2 y.o. Maltese girl, who is about to become a big sister. Next Saturday I am getting a puppy from Melitica Maltese. Obviously I am beyond exited, and I am trying to prepare for all of the changes that will inevitably happen to my family. I know that quite a few people on this forum has more than one, so obviously it can be done suscessfully. But I would really appreciate if you share your experience of becoming 2 dogs household. What was the most challenging? I am not worried too much about the doggies getting along. Missy (my dog) is super friendly and LOVES other dogs. Actually getting her a playmate was one of the main reasons that promptEd me to get a second dog. But I am sure some other challenges that I don鈥檛 anticipate will show up. One thing that I am really worried about - how do you walk 2 dogs. I mean - if you are 1 person walking 2 dogs? 2 leashes? 1 leash with 2 ends? Walking each of them alone? Anything else I should know ( or worry about :) )? what was 1 thing that you wished you knew before getting a second dog? thank you in advance for your responses.
I am having a very hard time waiting for Saturday 馃榾馃榾

Registered
I have 3 fur babies, all maltese. They all got along perfectly since day 1. Teddy was my 1st one, a year and a half later tommy joined the family, then 6 months later Mimi joined. They all 3 love each other so much. They do play and fight sometimes, but nothing bad. Tommy is the tallest and he is very protective of the other 2. Groomer notes this all the time. The only recommendation is that if you're not going to breed them, please get them fixed as soon as it's appropriate because that was the only time (when mimi went into her 1st heat), that tommy especially became really aggressive and possessive, and for a moment wanted to attacked teddy bad. After mimi got fixed (and tommy - they're almost the same age), everything went back to peace and normal.

Super Moderator
Congratulations! I've had two for so long, I honestly don't remember what it was like to "graduate" from one. Josie joined my family a year (ago after I lost Sweetness) as a rescue and is around 7 years old, so I followed all the advice on introducing two dogs - meet at a neutral location, let them sniff and explore each other off-lead, and make sure Tessa continued to receive all the attention she had previously.

With a puppy, you'll need to spend individual time on training, especially walking nicely on lead, so be sure your older dog also receives some one on one time.

I walk them both together using 4 ft or 6 ft (depending on which jackets they are wearing) leads. Never use retractable - they are dangerous for many reasons and impossible to control two. For walking, both of my girls know "wait" and stand nicely while I pick up what they've just deposited and then "let's go" to resume walking. Basic commands such as that will make it much easier for you.

Be sure to take cues from your older dog and if the puppy becomes overwhelming, make sure she has a safe, quiet place to go to get away from the puppy if she needs it.

Good luck to all of you!

Premium Member
I have had multiple dogs since about 7 months after I got my first dog as an adult. I wouldn't have it any other way. 馃グ I agree with the caution not to let the puppy wear the adult out. And the other advice you have received is great, too. Enjoy the new pup and new doggie dynamics!

Premium Member
There will be an "accepting" period. And the leader of the pack will be determined. They may love each other from the beginning, or take some time. I've had it both ways. ....but one thing is true....life is about to get even better!!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts