Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, Maggie has been looking really super now that I have finally found a great groomer...BUT, she somehow gets her face and mustache grubby (and I do mean grubby) on a daily basis. I mean it's starting to cake on her face. I am like how in the world can she get all of that dirt?? on her face? I don't give her table food and she isn't an outdoor dog. Well..on second thought...my Dad may be slipping her some food. But, would you have any suggestions on how to keep her face clean? It's hard to slip just her nose area under the faucet every day and I have tried wetting a washcloth and wiping her face but it isn't cleaning it properly. Maybe there is a miracle dry spray or something (hopeful grin). Help!

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Wilson is the same way!

I keep a box of baby wipes (no sent, gentle formula) in the end table drawer, and at least once a day I wipe his face. He hates having his face cleaned, and I have found that baby wipes are great, especially since I don't have to rinse it off. I also keep a little bottle of leave in conditioner in that drawer, and after I clean his face I rub some of the conditioner into his beard. Since I have started with the baby wipes his face has really cleared up!

Good luck!

·
Registered
17,045 Posts
I too use the no alcohol, no fragrance baby wipes. I just buy the store brand at the grocery store.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I use Proline self rinse on a cotton ball, plus I do wash Lady's face once in between her weekly baths with Absolutely Natural Shampoo.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I use the Show Eyes pre moistened pads to clean around Pico's eyes and down his mustache. Then I rinse with a moist terry cloth, spritz a tiny bit of Pure Paws Ultra Shine conditioning spray and comb the area with a steel comb to get the eye boogers and tangles out. Then I dry with tissues and it makes such a difference in his appearance. The conditioning spray softens the 'stache, too.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Koa used to have the same problem, and still does to some extent, but to a lesser degree. His food was causing a lot of the problem because it has beet root in it, so it dyed his white fur reddish-brown around the mouth. I bought him a new brand (Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance) which does not use beet root, and the problem is not as bad. Natural Balance is also all natural and does not add any useless fillers. Koa really likes it too.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Koa used to have the same problem, and still does to some extent, but to a lesser degree. His food was causing a lot of the problem because it has beet root in it, so it dyed his white fur reddish-brown around the mouth. I bought him a new brand (Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance) which does not use beet root, and the problem is not as bad. Natural Balance is also all natural and does not add any useless fillers. Koa really likes it too.[/B]

I'm so glad you said what food you feed you Koa. He's face is so white.
Tucker's breeder was feeding him Eukanuba so that's what I fed him, and he always had red stains around his eyes.
I was looking for some thing new and it was out of Natural Balance and Nutro Max. I bought Nutro Max because that's what my friend feeds her dog and Pet Co had a sells rep there pressuring me. Well now his stains are darker and on his mustache. Turns out it has a beet root in it.

So, this time I'm going with Natural Balance.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I don't keep them clean anymore.......I gave up........

seriously......my sweetie thinks she is pigpen from peanuts.......and Buddy isn't much better.
I have tried the baby wipe route......but just can't seem to find a product that really takes off the grime these two get into.....so, I just accect them for who they are.....my two little not so white fluffballs.

Well.........everyone can't be in the show, can they?????

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.