Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious how long recovery is. Molly is eating normally. Her poo sometimes is harder than normal and still not as energetic. Besides that, everything else is fine.

I want to walk her, but not sure if I should. I keep forgetting to ask the vet all these ?'s. So here I go to the real experts - most everyone on this site.

-Should I walk her
-Should I let her play with her chew toys
-Should I give her normal amounts of food
-What should I clean her with, since I can't bathe her for about 2 weeks
-Should I carry her most of the time
-Can I play with her a little

I have to write down questions as I take care of her, cuz I know I keep having questions. I asked the vet general questions, but I just wanna be sure I'm doing the best I can for Molly.

Thanks for your help,
mm

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
I am no expert but...I would feed her the usual amounts. If she wants to eat she will. Just watch and make sure she is eating. I don't think you HAVE to carry her all the time. (Even though you may want to and she probably loves it
). I would let her play with her chew toys as long as she doesn't get very rough. And the same goes with you. As far as cleaning her, you could get some baby wipes or use some waterless shampoo. I just used the baby wipes. Paris didn't get that dirty. The vet took her stitches out on day 8. She never wore the collar (in fact, the vet never put one on her) and she never bothered her stitches. Can barely see her scar now (7 weeks later).

Hope Molly continues to improve daily...

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Originally posted by mmforever@Jun 17 2005, 03:10 PM
Just curious how long recovery is.  Molly is eating normally.  Her poo sometimes is harder than normal and still not as energetic.  Besides that, everything else is fine.

I want to walk her, but not sure if I should.  I keep forgetting to ask the vet all these ?'s.  So here I go to the real experts - most everyone on this site.

-Should I walk her
I did not let chelsey outside around the block until her stiches were out.  She was able to go out in our back yard.  I was just worrried.

deffinetly, she will enjoy it.
The first two day they are not suppost to eat to much or drink to much water.
you have to brake the meals up in the small portion like when you first brough her home as a puppy.  After day two they eat as normal
Wipe and rince shampoo
I guess that is up to you.  We had a lot of stairs in our home an chelsey was not good with the stairs to begin with. So i carried her up and down the stairs for a few days. Even out side our back yard as we have a deck.  I did want her to slip.
Oh yes, you can play just not ruff.  Our vet said for the fist few days try to keep her still which was really hard to do.
I have to write down questions as I take care of her, cuz I know I keep having questions.  I asked the vet general questions, but I just wanna be sure I'm doing the best I can for Molly.

Thanks for your help,
mm
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=73424
[/QUOTE]

This is your time to really spoil your puppy. Enjoy

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
After Peanut's neuter I was told to only walk him to let him go to the bathroom for one week. It was hard because I know he was itching to just go run around the yard. I would feed the normal amount if she's eating well. It's just the day before, day of and day after that the vet had me alter the eating schedule.

Let her play, just try to keep her from jumping and running.

I just used the baby wipes to clean Peanut up until I could bathe him.

I did carry peanut a lot after his surgury because it was the only way I could keep him from jumping around.

Good luck, I hope she has a speedy recovery!!!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I knew it. I knew it!!! I knew I'd get great and thorough experienced answers. Don't get me wrong I like the vet, but sometimes its good to hear from fellow Maltese lovers.

Thank you so much for your replies. Off I go to give Molly a chew toy.

Thanks again,
mm

·
Registered
195 Posts
Originally posted by mmforever@Jun 17 2005, 01:10 PM
Just curious how long recovery is.  Deni was almost 100% the next day!

I want to walk her, but not sure if I should.  I keep forgetting to ask the vet all these ?'s.  So here I go to the real experts - most everyone on this site.

-Should I walk her
I didn't take Deni for walks, but she did go out in the back yard to hang out for short periods.

I let Deni play with her toys as normal.

She ate a light dinner the night of the spay then went back to her regular schedule the next day. She didn't eat as much for the first breakfast, but after that all was normal.

I had doggy bath wipes, but twice daily brushing and only one or two days of wiping her tush, she still looks as smells fresh.

I carried her about the same amount that I usually do.

I monitored her playtime with her sister Ally, making sure that there wasn't too much jostling. She even went to puppy class yesterday (6 days post op), but no jumping allowed.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=73424
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
-Should I walk her

No, only short leash walks to go out for 7-10 days.

She can have a chew toy that she'll lay and chew on. No toys that she'll run and bounce with.

The first night she comes home feed 1/2 her portion and if she does okay, the other 1/2 an hour later. Feed normally after that.

You can use some waterless shampoo and a towel or baby wipes to spot clean her.

It is best if she rests quietly. A crate is ideal. You can carry her from room to room in it.

No running, jumping, or active play.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Other than Izzy Osbourne's weird lunging thrashing behavior after her spay, she seems to be healing nicely. She will start to lick her sutures but when we say "Leave it" she stops. She's eating normally and her poop isn't as hard as it was after the spay. It's very hard to keep her inactive though.

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
So, how is little Ms. Molly doing today?

·
Registered
34 Posts
My puppy was neutered at 6 months (which was only last week)
and the wound is so tinny, no one really notice it. And he acted normally all the while. I gave him a bathe 2 days ago, which was only a week after the surgery, and everything is ok. So, I THINK PUPPY SHOULD BE NEUTERED OR SPAYED AT 5/6 MONTHS.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts