Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Molly has learned to pee on the pad at home and in hotels, but work is a totally different situation. She will go wherever she pleases. And we're still trying to train her to only go outside. BTW - she'll be 7 months on Sunday.

So, its OK to leave them confined to a crate, small play area or leashed for extended periods of time? The place I work is large and she gets to run around wherever she wants. I feel awful if I leave her confined for too long (1+ hours). I feel like her muscles are going to weaken or she'll become depressed and lonely. Am I just paranoid and overly humanizing her?

How long do you keep your baby confined?

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I use Nature's Miracle pads because it has a grass scent and Bijou prefers to go outside. Maybe this could help with the transition to going outside.

I am at home for most of the day so i can't help with the confinement issue but you have asked the question in the right place. This is the most helpful group of people on the face of the earth.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Hi I'm not sure what your work envorment is like but if you put her in a x- pen / play pen she should have plenty of room to strech her legs . Water food and a pee pad and a nice toy should all be able to fit it there. After 3 hours you can let her out for a break.
if you use a crate i'm not sure if this would casue more issue as she may see you walking back and forh... I mean winning and such to be let out. when chelsey was this age if she saw me working from home she would get excited and have an accident before I could let her out.
I would use a pen if possible. Must be great to be able to take your puppy to work with you.

I think there are few on here that take there puppies to work with them as well.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Lexi was confined to a crate while I was at work (4 hours at a time) until she was 11 months old. Then I got an exercise pen (4'X4'). I decided when she was about 15 months old to start to leave her out in the afternoons. She did so well with that I moved up to all day after a few weeks.

Nikki is 17 weeks old and is starting out with being confined to her crate. I'm hoping to be able to move her up to the pen in a few months (will have to see how it goes).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts