Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

how mant shots

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  kit001 
#1 ·
i have taken my maltese to the vets twice they had there first shots when i recieved them my female has had an additional 8 shots my male 6 the vet says i need to go back for more,what shots are they supposed to have i have spent 200.00 just in shots,i have lists of shots im new to this so i dont know my female was so sick after her shots and had a big lump and fever,my male was limping and just layed around am i harming my babies or is this all necessary thanks sweetpea

See less See more
#2 ·
Reactions to vaccination varies from dog to dog. Some hints we long-time Maltese owners have learned are: 1) always give individual shots, not combo doses 2) separate the doses by 3 or 4 weeks 3) administer 1/4 tsp (average 4-5 lb dog) of children's Benadryl 1 hour prior to vaccination.

Another tip from me: Wait in the vet's office 30 minutes or so in the event your furbaby has a reaction. You can get her/him immediate attention in that event.

In Texas, rabies is required only every 3 years. That tells me that if your state requires yearly rabies vaccination and your dog has any kind of reaction, your vet can waive the yearly requirement. Pico had such a severe reaction to his 2nd booster of rabies when he was 2 that he went into shock! I was so thankful that my instinct to hang around the office was there because they immediately injected antihistamine and put him on pure oxygen, checking his vitals frequently. He recovered in about an hour but it was a hugely stressful event for all. My vet said "no more rabies for this guy". I get a notation on his travel certificates to that effect when we go to Florida or N.C.

Some vaccinations are valuable and some are possibly unneccessary depending upon where you live. I would never vaccinate against Lyme disease here where I live but other sections of the country may find this critical to their dog's health. I'm betting our Veterinarian-to-be on this forum, Doctor Cathy, can update us on the different vaccinations, what they are for and how necessary or unnecessary they can be.

#3 ·
this is how we do it in louisiana... puppies: combo vaccine= distemper, parvo, corona, lepto, hepatitis boosted 5 times 2 weeks apart. rabies given at 12 weeks then every year there after. bordetella given in the nose first visit then injection second puppy visit then once a year. deworming every visit
adult : combo vaccine every year, rabies every year, bordetella every year, heart worm test every year and boost parvo six months from annual vaccinations

its done differently like pico says in depending on the state....some vaccinate for lyme dz in states where ticks are prevelent...etc

#4 ·
Let's not forget LYME SHOTS...two initial when they are a puppy then once a year after that. Last year in my area, (New Hampshire), the ticks were so bad, they were recommending a shot every six months! Now this shot is OPTIONAL, but sorry, I have seen what a tick can do to a 250 lb Golden retreiver, so in my opinion, I dont' call it really "optional". I would hate to see what it owuld do to a little 2 - 12 lb dog.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.