Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

How many baths?

8K views 32 replies 13 participants last post by  Houdini’smom 
#1 ·
Hello, Everyone!
I have heard mixed info in how many baths a Maltese should have. Some say every week, some every 15 days, others monthy. Also, some people say that frequent baths is actually not good for the coat (which is the aproach I took towards my Samoyed and, sincerely, he doesn't stink at all, and has a suberb fur. Of course when he gets too dirty he gets a shower. I do wipe him down in between baths and brush daily). I would love to hear your experience and opinion concerning baths for Maltese.

#8 ·
I’ve done once a week to once every other week. Kip was bathed with Pure Paws Starline brightening shampoo and silk conditioner as well as Pure Paws Reconstructing shampoo and conditioner. It kept him clean and well conditioned and smelling fresh!! I miss my little guy and his spa days.

#17 ·
Tessa,
I have had many back surgeries and have 2 12" titanium rods and 6 screws in my lumbar spine. This makes it impossible for me to bend down and give Abella a bath in the tub and my kitchen sink isn't deep enough and creates to big of a mess.

My bath solution was to take a large plastic high sided storage bin and cut a hole in the bottom for drainage - I then put a rubber bath mat in the bottom so Abella doesn't slip around. I put this bin on top of a table in the shower. That way I can stand when I give Abella a bath. I leave her in the bin for her entire bath - including the conditioning of her coat. The 15-20 minutes goes fast as I'm working the conditioner into her coat and massaging her body. I have also read articles that some show groomers will soak the dogs entire body in a conditioner mixture in a tub for 15-20 minutes. I have not tried this yet. The thought also occurred to me that when I deep condition my own hair I wrap my hair in a plastic bag and leave the conditioner on for 30 minutes.... I'm thinking Abella wouldn't like that idea at all! She is so very patient and used to the routine - EXCEPT she does not like water in her face - so I rinse her face last and as quickly as possible! After she is towel dried she is "released" and does her typical speedy maltese "zoomies" throughout the house.

I Love how after her bath and deep conditioning the brush just glides thru her hair and her coat is so shiny and manageable - being well conditioned also makes daily grooming so much easier. I realize having a Maltese in show coat is not for everyone - It takes a lot more work/time but I feel is so worth it. I'm sure the day will come when I'm not up to the task and will give her a puppy cut - but for now I love her beautiful long flowing coat.

Dog Mammal Vertebrate Canidae Dog breed

#18 ·
Tessa,
I have had many back surgeries and have 2 12" titanium rods and 6 screws in my lumbar spine. This makes it impossible for me to bend down and give Abella a bath in the tub and my kitchen sink isn't deep enough and creates to big of a mess.

My bath solution was to take a large plastic high sided storage bin and cut a hole in the bottom for drainage - I then put a rubber bath mat in the bottom so Abella doesn't slip around. I put this bin on top of a table in the shower. That way I can stand when I give Abella a bath. I leave her in the bin for her entire bath - including the conditioning of her coat. The 15-20 minutes goes fast as I'm working the conditioner into her coat and massaging her body. I have also read articles that some show groomers will soak the dogs entire body in a conditioner mixture in a tub for 15-20 minutes. I have not tried this yet. The thought also occurred to me that when I deep condition my own hair I wrap my hair in a plastic bag and leave the conditioner on for 30 minutes.... I'm thinking Abella wouldn't like that idea at all! She is so very patient and used to the routine - EXCEPT she does not like water in her face - so I rinse her face last and as quickly as possible! After she is towel dried she is "released" and does her typical speedy maltese "zoomies" throughout the house.

I Love how after her bath and deep conditioning the brush just glides thru her hair and her coat is so shiny and manageable - being well conditioned also makes daily grooming so much easier. I realize having a Maltese in show coat is not for everyone - It takes a lot more work/time but I feel is so worth it. I'm sure the day will come when I'm not up to the task and will give her a puppy cut - but for now I love her beautiful long flowing coat.

View attachment 274420
Oh, wow, @Abella's Mommy ! I am sorry to hear about your back! I can understand how a low bathtub would hurt your back. I think you came up with a great solution for Abella's bath time!
It really sounds like a lot of work to keep the Maltese hair long but they are so beautiful with long hair, that I think it is worth the work. I am willing to give it a try. :)
Once again thank you for patiently sharing your tips with us. I really appreciate that! ❤

#20 ·
My dogs go to the groomer every 5 weeks. I used to bathe them all once a week, but I've gotten lazy, now I bathe them once in-between their grooming appointments. I do wash faces daily though :D I have four malts and a shih tzu. The tzu has different kind of hair and sometimes I don't bathe her in-between appointments.

#27 ·
#30 ·
Ollie is adorable! Love the picture!
😘

I too TRY and bath Abella once a week but as I get older it gets harder and harder. I do make sure she gets a daily, very thorough, brushing covering every inch of her body. And I wash out her eyes daily. Spa Day for a long haired maltese is quite an ordeal! LOL!!! I do all her grooming myself.
🛁🚿🐶🐾😊

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.