Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got Rudy 5 months ago I never considered the thought that I might like to have two.I love him so much
and I do my best to make his days busy and full of things to do and experience new things.But I wonder if he would enjoy having a friend his own size to play with.He plays with the old cats but they are no fun for him.The best he gets out of them is a slap in the face and on a good day they will run and let him chase them.I'm wondering if I did get another puppy if it would make it hard to go places with them?Like how do you take them both shopping.No way is my hubby going to carry a puchi bag or any other bag for that matter. He loves Rudy but the bag thing will never happen with him
So who do you leave at home?And the same for travel by air.Is that a hassel with two?I know I would love another puppy but do I have the life style for two
?Tell me how you all do it and the pros and cons of having two.Is two better than one?

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Well, I know you can put two of the same breed in a carrier for under seat flying. If they were larger than the standard (4-7 lbs) that may not be feasible because two larger dogs wouldn't fit in the carrier that fits under the seat.

That's my 2 cents.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
This is an often discussed subject here.

My Lady is an only dog and will stay that way. She has medical problems (diabetes and epilepsy) so financially another dog is out of the question for me. (I spend $150 a month on her meds and diabetic supplies alone) Maltese are prone to so many genetic disorders that another sick one would be a disaster financially.

Even a healthy one is expensive. I think many people just think in terms of that expensive first year and say "go for it" without considering the vet bills these dogs can rack up, especially as they age. I posted a recent article that estimated a cost of $38,000 for the life span of a dog based on 10 years! If you got another one fairly soon, both he and Rudy would be seniors around the same time and the vet bills could be pretty high. I always urge people to really think worst case scenario about if they can afford to properly care for two (or 3, etc.) Surgery for a liver shunt runs about $3,000 and surgery for luxating patellas is on the thousands, too. Both conditons are all too common in Maltese. I know this is not your situation, but I get concerned when students or young people still living at home get several Maltese before they are really "out on their own" and self supporting.

As far as lifestyle goes, it would get more complicated with 2. I take my Lady everywhere with me and she loves our outings. I think with 2, people are more inclined to just leave them both home. You have to ask yourself whether or not Rudy would be willing to give up his outings with mom & dad in exhange for someone to play with.

Lady was 4 when I adopted her and had always been an only dog, so she doesn't need a doggie companion. In fact, she prefers cats. Whe I visit my family, she basically ignores the other dogs, but will happily sit on my lap with several cats! I have 2 Siamese, but they really don't play with her. They're conceited!

Since Rudy is still a puppy, he probably would enjoy the companionship. How is he around other dogs? Does he enjoy playing with them?

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
I now have two Malts & Bailey who is Maltese/Bichon.My babies go everywhere with me.Noboday gets left at home.If I should have to go without them they are all left at home.No favorites here ! I absoulutly LOVE having all of them. You do need to make sure having more than one is something you can afford. And tHAT each one has (their) own play time as well as play time with all.Everyone knows if I come .the babies come too,and no one minds that. All in all I think the choice of one or more is up to each persons lifestyle and bank account ! LOL

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I'm currently looking for my second malt, and I have thought about all that you said too. How the heck am I gonna lug two of these fluffers around, double the grooming time, double vet bills...?!? But for me and my situation, I think it feels right. This is the perfect time in my life for another dog, and I have my family and bf's support so I decided it was time for Peanut to have his very own best friend.

Also, Celltei has some carriers that look more 'unisex' if you could convince your hubby to carry one of those :new_Eyecrazy:

BTW, jet blue airlines only lets like 2 dogs in cabin at anytime, and I think they said each dog needs to be in their own carrier and that only one dog is allowed per passenger. Just letting you know.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Sis will be an "only child". She is a handful for the two of us!! I don't think I would have the energy for 2, as it is now I work full time and spend about an hour every evening grooming her. I love having that time with her (she is finally calming down enough to sit still). I don't think I personally would have the time for more than her....
We just love her to pieces....

·
Registered
831 Posts
I have two beautiful girls Daezie and Maya. We got Maya 6 months after Daezie becuase I wanted to have a second dog and because since my hubby and work Daezie was staying home alone. so we got Maya. I wish I could stay home to be with them all day but that just not going to happen any time soon so they have eachother to keep company.
They have a savings account just for thier medical needs and every paycheck we add to that. Having two dogs is a lot finalcial reponsability but is part of life...and we just adore our girls

1 - 8 of 8 Posts