Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

How many maltese do you have?

609 views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Mystify79 
This is an often discussed subject here.

My Lady is an only dog and will stay that way. She has medical problems (diabetes and epilepsy) so financially another dog is out of the question for me. (I spend $150 a month on her meds and diabetic supplies alone) Maltese are prone to so many genetic disorders that another sick one would be a disaster financially.

Even a healthy one is expensive. I think many people just think in terms of that expensive first year and say "go for it" without considering the vet bills these dogs can rack up, especially as they age. I posted a recent article that estimated a cost of $38,000 for the life span of a dog based on 10 years! If you got another one fairly soon, both he and Rudy would be seniors around the same time and the vet bills could be pretty high. I always urge people to really think worst case scenario about if they can afford to properly care for two (or 3, etc.) Surgery for a liver shunt runs about $3,000 and surgery for luxating patellas is on the thousands, too. Both conditons are all too common in Maltese. I know this is not your situation, but I get concerned when students or young people still living at home get several Maltese before they are really "out on their own" and self supporting.

As far as lifestyle goes, it would get more complicated with 2. I take my Lady everywhere with me and she loves our outings. I think with 2, people are more inclined to just leave them both home. You have to ask yourself whether or not Rudy would be willing to give up his outings with mom & dad in exhange for someone to play with.

Lady was 4 when I adopted her and had always been an only dog, so she doesn't need a doggie companion. In fact, she prefers cats. Whe I visit my family, she basically ignores the other dogs, but will happily sit on my lap with several cats! I have 2 Siamese, but they really don't play with her. They're conceited!

Since Rudy is still a puppy, he probably would enjoy the companionship. How is he around other dogs? Does he enjoy playing with them?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.