Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone...our Molly is almost 6 months old, and is currently eating 3 meals a day. She is an absolute food dog, loves it more than anything else. My question is, when should we switch to 2 meals/day? I have two concerns, 1. we feel she will truly miss her lunchtime, and 2. she's a small girl, about 3lbs. Should we stick to more meals because of her smaller size? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks...Molly's mom

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Even at 3 years and one year I give mine food more than twice a day. I feel two meals (7:00 am and 7:00 pm) but give a snack at noon and before bedtime.

I would check with your vet to make sure what to do, but if it were me I would stick to three meals a day until she is at least 4 pounds. And then give two meals plus a couple snacks. For snacks I just take out a few pieces of the kibble from their meals and use that for snacks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Aug 28 2005, 04:44 PM
Even at 3 years and one year I give mine food more than twice a day. I feel two meals (7:00 am and 7:00 pm) but give a snack at noon and before bedtime.

I would check with your vet to make sure what to do, but if it were me I would stick to three meals a day until she is at least 4 pounds.  And then give two meals plus a couple snacks. For snacks I just take out a few pieces of the kibble from their meals and use that for snacks.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=94748
[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the suggestions. Your babies are beautiful!

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Mollysdad,
I'm not sure what to say, because I've always left Bella's kibble out all day. To make sure she ate enough as a puppy, I hand fed her a little three times a day. I think the others have the right idea with the snacks

·
Registered
860 Posts
I keep food down all times of the day that way they can eat when they want and they don't over eat if they know it will be there all day long. I have none that is over weight so I will stick to this kind of feeding

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by Teaco@Aug 28 2005, 06:48 PM
I keep food down all times of the day that way they can eat when they want and they don't over eat if they know it will be there all day long. I have none that is over weight so I will stick to this kind of feeding
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=94805
[/QUOTE]
Thanks. I wish we could do that. I've never seen a dog as into food as Molly is. She finishes her entire bowl in 10 sec. or less inhaling it. I'm not sure that she even chews it. She eats so fast that she often starts choking, and will eat right through that. If we left a whole bowl out, Im pretty sure she'd eat the entire bowl in under 45 sec. and be looking at us sadly at lunch and dinner. I guess I should be happy that she has a good appetite though. Thanks all for the responses!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i saw an emergency vets where a poodle had bloat. which is weird cuz i didnt know small dogs got that. i know gruffi COULD get it...so i take precautions.

bloat is when the stomach flips inside them. and they could die.

if your dog eats fast...make sure you put the food in a plate so that it takes longer to eat. and then you restrict their exercise after their meals.

AND...my dogs are full grown and on a homecooked diet----they still eat three times a day.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Originally posted by Teaco@Aug 28 2005, 06:48 PM
[/QUOTE]

We do the same! Rex doesnt over eat. He nibbles here and there.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Originally posted by Mollysdad+Aug 28 2005, 07:21 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Teaco
@Aug 28 2005, 06:48 PM
Thanks. I wish we could do that. I've never seen a dog as into food as Molly is. She finishes her entire bowl in 10 sec. or less inhaling it. I'm not sure that she even chews it. She eats so fast that she often starts choking, and will eat right through that. If we left a whole bowl out, Im pretty sure she'd eat the entire bowl in under 45 sec. and be looking at us sadly at lunch and dinner. I guess I should be happy that she has a good appetite though. Thanks all for the responses!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=94829
[/B][/QUOTE]
That's why I leave my food down all the time. When i fed several times a day (years ago) my dogs would some of them would inhale their food. Since I started leaving it down they just graze throughout the day.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts