Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
My fluff had 2 vaccines from her breeder. She has now had 2 more from the vet. This last round he said would be the last, but at that visit he said we need "at least" one MORE set of shots for her to be fully immunized.

How much is too much? Am I harming her by letting her keep getting these shots? The breeder did the 2nd one in front of us; no ill effects. The next one the vet did, she slept all of that day and the next (very VERY unusual for her). This last one didn't have much effect on her.

She is, hmmm, almost 4 months old.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
Tanya I hope you get some posts from others... but here is my input. And maybe not all will agree, I am open to learn from the responses. While working at vet hospital I asked MANY questions. The vets explained that there are tests that can be done to determine if vaccines have created the protection necessary. These studies are done at vet school etc. In a small % of puppies the vaccine doesn't "kick" in and do it's job until closer to 16 weeks old. Hence most vets want the last vaccine done at 16-17 weeks old to be safe. What I like to do is space the vaccine so that the last shot is done at 16-17 weeks old. My puppies have 3 dates for this vaccine and sometimes they are given the vaccine 4 times depending on when they are started.. Parvo is like "superman" and so it is so so important to protect against it. Working at the hospital...it was amazing how many dogs got parvo even after having 2 shots done younger...many owners ignored breeders advice or vet advice to continue until 16 weeks old. Some breeders didn't make it clear enough to the buyers. Parvo is VERY challenging to treat and many die from it, a horrible way to die.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Doctor Dodds protocol is one that is highly regarded. Also, I highly recommend the book, Scared Poopless, by Jan Rasmusen. Titer testing is a way to check for immunity before giving vaccines. It's not foolproof, but imo it is better than administering unnecessary shots to tiny dogs, shots that contain potentially harmful adjuvants, like preservatives, thimerasol, etc.

No one can decide for you regarding vaccines, as you are your dog's advocate.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
I always have the last vaccine land at/after 16 weeks of age, especially for pups who were weaned later.
Titering a puppy only says they had an immune response. It doesn't mean the shot at 8 weeks is good for life.

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Dogwriter, only your breeder and your Vet. know exactly which vaccines the puppy received, so follow the advice of your Vet. For proper immunization, it's very important the puppy get the puppy vaccinations as recommended/scheduled by the vet.

Not long ago, Marj posted the vaccination guidelines from the World Small Animal Veterinary Association. See the 2010 Vaccination Guidelines. The puppy vaccine recommendations start in Table 1 of the Guidelines:

World Small Animal Veterinary Association - WSAVA - Vaccine Guideline 1

Joy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts