Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Sampson and Maggie each get one treat a day, when I'm leaving for work, its just something I started with Sampson long ago, maybe my way of saying I'm sorry but I have to leave, but it has stuck, and each morning they are waiting on it and will give me "the look" if i happen to forget :D

·
Registered
831 Posts
In the morning before I go to work I give Daezie and Maya their kong stuff with baby carrots and green bean and a little of peanut butter. (since the kongs are small I only put 1 carrot and 1/2 of green bean cut in peices.) or I use doggie biscuits and peanut butter since I break it in peices I probably use half of biscuit in each kong (nutro brand)
Then in the after noon I give them small pieces of apple when I am training them so they probably eat 1/2 an apple.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i read on several sites about the benefits of feeding our little ones fresh foods, i.e. carrots and broccoli. when we asked daisy's vet about it, he actually recommended against it b/c veggies can be hard on their stomachs.

for those of you who feed your pups "ppl food', do you give it to them raw or steamed? has it affected their digestion at all?

i would to give daisy fresh veggies as treats, so she can be healthy and happy :D

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Any time you add something new to your dog's diet, do so gradually. In the almost 3 years that I've had Pico I have collected a list of don'ts from vets regarding feeding:

Onions, raisins, grapes, chocolate, pork, turkey and broccoli.

Now Pico loves broccoli and I was giving it to him before hearing from several sources that it can be toxic. Other sources recommend broccoli. So the jury is out on that one.

I also give Pico avocado, red pepper, green beans, cauliflower and squash as well as egg and salmon. Always in pea-sized bites in limited amounts since he is eating commercial kibble and canned food as well. Some malts love baby carrots to chew on. Pico won't touch them. These little ones are as individual as humans. But far more lovable.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Caesar gets his "special treat"- a beef and cheese soft twist which he absolutely loves, whenever he has to go in his cage when we leave. Then he gets his denta bone once aweek. We also give him one Science Diet doggy bone about everyday. Then he still gets his honey nuts cheerios when he goes on the puppy pads everyday. :D

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
picos going to hate me---i read somewhere that avocado is too fatty for doggies

http://www.petfinder.org/journalindex.cgi?...lth/1.34.36.txt

http://www.petplace.com/articles/artShow.a....asp?artID=4774

http://www.pocoapocopoodles.com/poisions.html

http://www.aspca.org/toxicplants/M01834.htm

Finally I can post some sites. It just sucks because I had been feeding the dogs Spinach and I just read on one of those sites and Spinach leaves are toxic for dogs. UGH!! Its soo restricted.

During training I gave my malts maybe 5 treats a day. And now they might get 1/2 of one per day. i also cut it really really tiny. Sprite LOVES puperoni.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Since I am still potty training Bailey, he gets a small treat everytime he goes with lots of praise. Well, Morgan of course, it right there giving me that look....how can I say no? lol So of course, Morgan gets one right along with him, so he gets quiet a few during the day, but he plays them all off with Bailey & Buddy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm assuming the green beans are fresh ones right???? Giggle, I guess the canned ones would be a bit messy to freeze? I'd love to try them for Hannah and Chloe. Hannah is extremely picky and doesn't have treats because she doesn't eat them. Chloe I find is up for ANYTHING.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
suzyq--in one of my books, they talk about pureeing(cant spell) the veggies so that it's a little easier on the stomach. I dont do that often. but i havent really had them get constipation or diahhrea.

·
Registered
994 Posts
im bad maxi gets a bunch of treats a day he doesnt even eat them he plays with them, he likes the raw hide stuff i found this bone with peanut butter and jelly in it and he just loves it he only eats the peanut butter part, he is a good boy anyway so i figure while i am at work i like him to be occupiec and it takes him a while to chew that bone he also loves the shoes he really concentrates on taking them apart

1 - 15 of 15 Posts