Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have to admit...my little Maggie is becoming a 'treat monster'. I do try to select very healthy treats but how many little treats do you give to your babies per day?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Too Many!

Rex is spoiled rotten! He gets his Nutro biscuits around twice a day, plus one Nutro stick (that I break up and give him for practicing his tricks), he also gets these Three Dog Bakery jump 'n sit bits at least once a day! I do usually make sure he has emptied his dog food bowl at least once before his first treat, but not always! We dont do any table food at all. I try to stick to healthy treats for him!

Right now he is eating a pizza flavored mail guy that we got at the petstore this morning. It is rather large.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I feel like I give Kylee A LOT of treats also. I dont know how they dont lose their value. She gets treats for going on the potty pads (so thats like 25 treats a day), treats for tricks (we practice these 3 times a day), treats for when she goes into her playpen so she associates it with good things, treats after i brush her, treats after I put drops in her ears, treats after I clean her eyes. She's a treat-aholic i swear. The treats I give her are just honey nut cheerios broken up into 4 or 3 pieces but she gets a lot of them. It's no wonder she is still hungry for her food! ~Lori & Kylee

·
Registered
841 Posts
:eek: I was giving Summer treats all the time it seem like. but gosh she poops at least 4 times or more a day so I'm cutting back to see if that helps ( she's still not potty trained
She seems to be getting worse not better she's going out side more often and I don't always see her go
You know I feed her the ulta natural choice maybe i should try something else maybe she would only poop after she eats
if I'm lucky. she doesn't go in 20or 30 minutes after she eats its like 1 1/2 later

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I usually cut or break the treats into tiny pieces, especially during training sessions. Also, when I am doing training I slip in a few pieces of kibble instead of a treat. The boys don't seem to notice.
If I randomly give the boys treats, I make sure that they ate their kibble first though.

·
Registered
277 Posts
<span style="font-family:Times">What is the appropriate amount by the way??
</span>

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Paris gets treats when she goes out to potty. We have a doggy door that she uses. If I'm not with her when she goes out, she will go out and come right back in to get a treat. If I don't pay any attention to her, she will go out and come right back in again. She is so funny sometimes. She knows that if she goes outside, she is supposed to get a treat.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I spend more money on food for Bella, than i ever have for myself. My question is, how is Bella so slim and I am on a constant diet????

·
Registered
249 Posts
Harley gets way to many too.He goes potty then comes over for a treat.Then of course "what goes in must come out" as they say,so he's back to the pee pad again for more
! This goes on all day.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Originally posted by bellasmommy@Jun 27 2005, 07:04 AM
I spend more money on food for Bella, than i ever have for myself.  My question is, how is Bella so slim and I am on a constant diet???? 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=75600
[/QUOTE]

<span style="font-family:Times">LOL!!
I ask myself that question all the time
</span>

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Sadie and Sassy don't really get treats. I have them here, I just forget to give them. Lately I've been trying to remember to give them a treat after grooming sessions. They are both excited to get a treat but don't really seem like them expect it. They also don't eat anything but dog food. No people food of any kind.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Well I try so very hard to keep the treats under control and along comes hubby with all good intentions of spoiling Scooby by giving treats just for being there.
I too have learned to break them up so at least one treat goes a lot further and Scooby doesn't end up looking like super blimp. My main treat reward is for being a good boy and eating all his dinner, then he gets a freeze dried liver piece for which he would turn cartwheels if he could, but it sure works wonders with the food bribe thing because as soon as his little paper plate is empty he is glaring at me in his I'm a good boy expression, but it is worth it to see his empty plate......
Aside from the liver treats he loves the Science Diet chicken and vegetable jerky treats and that gets broken up so he only really gets a half one each day. I have sprung daddy feeding him tid bits off his dinner from time to time, but what can I say, they are having fun and mostly the only part he gives Scooby is the vegies and a little taste of his steak or chicken. No harm done there.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I know just what you are saying about your hubby giving the dog treats when you are trying not to give sooo many. Mine is also guilty of the same CRIME...

I had read on here where someone was sooo excited that they had found their "Waggin Train" doggie treats. I found them yesterday at Sam's Club.
They are Chicken Breast jerkey and Sassi (who is the forever food snob) absolutly loves them!!!
They are $9.88 for a 32oz. bag which should last a looong time.
They are also serrated and you are instructed to break them into little pieces for your pet.
Check it out....they are wonderful. We used to give her Pupperoni all the time, but I am so glad to have found these because they don't have all the 'junk' that
Pupperoni has.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Ever since Lacey has started clicker training she is getting alot of treats. I have been making adjustments to her regular food. Right now her favorite is a hotdog. She just loves hotdogs and will do anything for a piece. Tomorrow we are going to try liver. I myself don't like to eat hotdogs...I don't think they are healthy...so maybe cooked liver will work for a treat.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
the buttercup will eat just about anything i give her. she gets potty treats in the form of a cheerio, or a veggie puff (gerber baby food that is like a rice crispie puff). she loooooves her cheerios. "other" kinds of treats are rare, or rather, i actually dont buy any. we usually get a year's supply (boy my freezer is full of more dog treats than people food, i swear!) of doggie treats from friends at the holidays or birthdays. she also always loved the freeze dried liver treats, but the kind i liked best (the easiest ones to break up into smaller pieces) have gone up in price so much, that i'd rather just get a big box of cheerios and be able to share a snack with her when i can :D

being hot out right now, she LOVES her special frozen fruit treats! i get cubed melon (watermelon, cantelope) and freeze them for "after walk" treats. she loves carrots and apples, too. but she doesnt get TOO many of them. we got a box of nutro cookies from a neighbor (for MY birthday, no less, LOL) that we are using for "night night treats". she always gets a biscuit before bed, but only if she eats all of her dinner.

boy, i'm a mean mom. LOLOLOL

ann marie and the "but unlike my momster, i actually LIKE broccoli!" buttercup

1 - 17 of 17 Posts