Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lacey has decided that she LOVES apples. She wouldn't eat an apple at all until two weeks ago and now that is all she wants. If I let her she would eat a whole one everynight. Is there such a thing as too much apple?

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
all i know is that apple seeds are bad. i dont know if i'd give a malt a whole apple though
cuz you're adding calories to her current diet. maybe half an apple would be best.
and i dont know...apples have nautral sugar....hmmm. i hope someone can answer your question.

i give apples...but not a lot...they dont like it much anyway. LOL.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
My rule on apples is this:

I slice, core, and peel the apples. I leave a little bit of each slice after I eat it for Sir N to chomp on. Little C won't eat them anyway. This way, we are both eating a healthy snack and he doesn't end up with too much. He knows that the end of each slice is HIS and waits very patiently for it. And, he knows that when the apple is gone, that's it. This makes it easier to resist those melting eyes.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Gosh K & C are totally "ga ga" over apples, too I've been giving each one just one small slice that I cut up. I'm afraid too much might upset their stomachs... but maybe it wouldn't.... ?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have noticed since she has been eating apples she doesn't eat very much of her dry kibble. I core the apple and make sure she does not get any seeds. If I would let her she would eat the whole apple.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Peanut used to be such a picky eater and it was soo hard to make sure he ate a decent amount of kibble. Maybe cutting out the treats for a while until Lacey started eating more kibble would be a good idea. I just worry because these little ones are so small that they need all the nutrients they can get. We went a few days with no extra treats, just one for every time he peed/pooed on the pad, and after that I guess he learned that he has to eat his food to be able to get some extra treats. He does love apples though...I love the teeny little crunch that they make when they bite into it

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Originally posted by Maxismom@Apr 13 2005, 01:32 PM
my friends toy poodle ate a good whole apple and than threw up the whole thing
so im leary about apples
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=52256
[/QUOTE]

Maximus Mom

I think the problem was more the amount eaten and not what was eaten...My Teddy eats fruit all the time...every morning I give him about a fifth of an apple, pear, peach, etc. and I mix with a protein. He is doing awesome on the natural diet I have him on now...

I also cut all fruit and veggies up so that they are small...I want no choking...

Teddy loves fruit....and it is good for him as well.

S

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all for the replies. Lacey just loves apples and I will continue to give to her a little everynight until she decides she wants something else!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Originally posted by littlepeanut@Apr 13 2005, 10:32 AM
Peanut used to be such a picky eater and it was soo hard to make sure he ate a decent amount of kibble.  Maybe cutting out the treats for a while until Lacey started eating more kibble would be a good idea.  I just worry because these little ones are so small that they need all the nutrients they can get.  We went a few days with no extra treats, just one for every time he peed/pooed on the pad, and after that I guess he learned that he has to eat his food to be able to get some extra treats.  He does love apples though...I love the teeny little crunch that they make when they bite into it

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=52255
[/QUOTE]
Maybe you could put just a little meat treats in the kibble so he'll smell it and start eating it!

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
lucy actually tried take a chunk out of an apple that fell on the floor the other day and i freeeeaked out
she missed, of course, but it's good to know it won't poison her.. i knew the thing about apple seeds but didn't know apples were safe

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Originally posted by Tyler's Sis+Apr 13 2005, 08:04 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-littlepeanut
@Apr 13 2005, 10:32 AM
Peanut used to be such a picky eater and it was soo hard to make sure he ate a decent amount of kibble.  Maybe cutting out the treats for a while until Lacey started eating more kibble would be a good idea.  I just worry because these little ones are so small that they need all the nutrients they can get.  We went a few days with no extra treats, just one for every time he peed/pooed on the pad, and after that I guess he learned that he has to eat his food to be able to get some extra treats.  He does love apples though...I love the teeny little crunch that they make when they bite into it

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=52255
Maybe you could put just a little meat treats in the kibble so he'll smell it and start eating it!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=52370
[/B][/QUOTE]
Thanks!! He finally eats well now. It turns out the corn in the dog food was bothering his little tummy, so now that I found a food without any corn he turned out to be quite a little piggy...

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
my dogs will get diahrrea if they get too much of a new fruit or veggie too fast. its like you have to build them up to it. we had an "incident" where i kept giving the dogs pumpkin and sweet potato. and then they all got really bad diahhrea and then i had to take them to an emergency vet at 11pm

it took them a week to finally feel better.

but...because i started again SLOWLY intoducing new food...that they dont have a bad reaction. thank god.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts