Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sheesh! I just LOVE this board
...and everyone on here! I feel like we've posted a million questions. We're just thankful that everyone is so helpful and kind on this board!

Here's my next question... Shadow was 2 lbs. at her last vet visit and she is now about 16 weeks... how much should she be eating? Since she can't get down the steps, we have food/water for her on all 3 levels - but I can usually tell about how much she's eating - maybe 1/4-1/2 cup a day. Is this average? I don't want her to over eat - but definately want her to be a healthy pup. We leave the food out for her (verses scheduled feedings) because she doesn't have food all day when were not home and is too excited to stop and eat when we do get home - so we let her eat at her own pace. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
939 Posts
With Tiki we have always left food out for him to eat as he needs. On average he eats he eats 1/4 - 1/2 cup some days I don't think he eats at all

When he was a pup the vet said to do what you are doing and he did fine. Shadow is growing and growing, I don't think she can over eat yet

Ask you vet next time you go in though.

Judi

G

·
0 Posts
I usually feel her 2 handfuls a day... is that too much? She doesn't always eat it though... sometimes she'll just eat one handful (breakfast or dinner) and other times she'll eat both... I wouldn't consider her overweight but she hasn't gotten weighed since she was 2 months so I don't know... I've read not to leave the food down all day because they need a schedule so that's what I do

·
Registered
939 Posts
My thoughts are that if what you are doing works, keep doing it unless your vet recommends something else or you see a change that worries you.

Happy puppy makes for a happy family!

Judi

1 - 5 of 5 Posts