Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,

I have a 7 month old doggie and was wondering how much dry dog food I should be giving her per day. Seems like she wants to eat ALL the time (she's a little piggie). :eek:)

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
always do the fat test. where you touch her ribs and if you feel a tiny layer of fat---thats good. if you feel bones or if they're sticking out---feed more. and if theres a lot of fat--cut back on food. the back of the bag gives a pretty good idea of how much. but if your dog is SUPER active...then she needs a little more food.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, basically a cup of dry food for a 7 month old puppy sounds about right as long as she is active and isn't plump! Thanks so much.

·
Premium Member
4,916 Posts
Frosty is a pretty big boy (10-11 lb.), but not any fat on him. He's never been a big eater, excessively fencky, and doesn't like dry food. (He's tried every kind available in my area--right now it's a mix of Innova Senior & Science Diet. He likes the taste of S.Diet. I don't like to feed stuff that is mainly grain and chicken by products (ick) like it is, but most of the human quality foods with meat base he doesn't like. Innova is by Nutra which makes several good brands. I have always tried to get him to eat some dry, for the variety and for his teeth. This is how hard it is to get him to eat it....I put 1/3 cup in the bottom of his bowl and put 2 oz. of one of several of the canned he'll eat chopped up fine on top, his Missing Link sprinkled on top of that, and a little cooked chicken breast as "primer" on top of that. That 1/3 c. of dry stays there through both his breakfast meal and dinner meal, and around 10 PM I tell him "you have to eat your dry food so you can go to bed!". Like a naughty kid he pittles around looking at it until just before I turn out the light. If he sees I'm really heading to bed he'll quick force it down (most of the time)! All this evening thing with the dry takes place in the livingroom, not in the kitchen where the food bowl sits all day waiting. If it stays in the kitchen it'll be there forever. I give him a clean bowl with a new helping of dry next morning, and we start over.

So how much dry food does he eat?......on a good day, 1/3 cup.

Dee

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
we feed Sampson and Maggie twice a day, about 2 cups each time, Sampson eats about 3/4 of both meals, Maggie isnt a big eater, alot of times she will eat first and Sampson feels "obligated" to finish up but he is bigger than maggie, hes about 10#, Maggie is about 4#

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
What I give him and what he eats are two different stories. In the mornings I give him 1/4 cup of dry Science diet mixed with about two tablespoons of canned...all mixed together. Usually he cleans this up by lunch.

At around 5:30, I give him the same thing, but I usually have to throw most of it out around 8:00. He never cleans his supper bowl.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
oh, he is almost 5 pounds and almost 5 months.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Tuffy is a piggie too.. he eats 1/2 to 1 cup of dry kibble a day. He passes the fat test so I guess he's just a healthy eater. He is really, really active so I'm guessing that's what keeps him from getting too plump.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts