Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering how much excercise other babies get everyday..

do u all walk them outside everyday? once a week?

and usually how long is the walk? 30 min? one hour? how many miles?

since maltese are small dogs , wondering if they still need a lot of walking and excercising

thank you !!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Lexi and I used to go for a walk every weekend (about 2 miles) but now that it is getting colder we haven't. I have started taking her to the dog park every weekend instead. Which makes no sense now that I think about it. It is too cold to go for a walk but not too cold to stand around at the dog park.

Lexi and her best friend, Ellie, play together for about an hour 3 to 5 times a week. Lexi has also been going to doggie day care once a week for the past 3 weeks.

She also plays a lot inside. Loves to play fetch. Another game she loves is chasing the laser pointer. I shine the red dot on the floor and she chases that thing all over the apartment. Great indoor excerise. After 10 minutes she has to lay down and rest.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
ellie and gruffi LOVE walking. sprite gets tired though. lol.

their little schedule is

30 minute walks 3 times a day. (usually 5am, 2pm, 6pm)

and like 2-3 15 minute walks a day.

so thats a total of 2 hours or something. :wacko:

and the reason they go outside so often is because is cooler....and they usually go potty during those times too. and we walk them in the paseo or up the street to smell new things. lol.

Cesar Millan (The Dog Whisperer on Discovery chanel) says that the walks should be 45 minutes at least once a day. something like that.

on saturday and sundays we'll wake up at 6:30 and do an hour-an hour and a half walk. its a lot of fun. theres this area that sorta feels like you're hiking.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Oct 26 2004, 02:44 PM
Lexi and her best friend, Ellie, play together for about an hour 3 to 5 times a week.  Lexi has also been going to doggie day care once a week for the past 3 weeks. 
Lexi is so lucky ! jongee doesnt have a best doggie friend! i feel so guilty not letting her meet other dogs..she did get to play with other doggies while i took her to training classes but that was about 3 months ago.. <_< she was so scared at first but later she went crazy having fun

but now..shes a loner again...how do u make doggie friends?

whenever i go for a walk around the rosebowl with jongee ,there are so many doggies but nobody to play with coz nobody's there to socialize..my poor baby..

i wish she had a friend..

ps . i posted a new photo of jongee with her new bangs..i cut them last night

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I'm lucky enough to live in a building that has a lot of dogs. Lexi's bestfriend lives across the half. Marvin, another friend, lives downstairs. Chopper, a pit bull (not really a friend she plays with), lives across from Marvin. On the other side of the building there is Pete. He watches over Lexi and Ellie to make sure they don't get to rough.

I also take Lexi to the dog park and just let her roam around in the small dog section. Sometimes there are other dogs and they will play together.

·
Registered
994 Posts
maxi gets a lot of activity on the weekends he plays with his best friend diggy ( toy poodle) for hours they do everything together. During the week he gets 2 walks a day one about noon i pay a dog walker to come she claims its about 20 minutes to 30 but im not around to see it
i than walk him about 6:30 when i get home from work for about 30 minutes
so that would be 4 days a week we have this routine unless my friend takes maxi when she is off from work but that depends on her schedule so i dont count on that
my neighbors use to take maxi alot until they got there own sister cockapoos so they are busy .......i do the best i can and to tell you the truth maxi gets tired after about a 30 minute walk he looks up at me so i should pick him up lol
starting january i have decided to leave my job in nyc so that i can be close to home , i will work a few days a week and spend the rest with my baby
thats what makes me happy

·
Registered
489 Posts
My dogs go out in the back yard and chase each other around a couple of times a day. They also play with the kids and each other in the house. My vet says they're in excellent condition. I get great joy watching them romp around together. They're a bunch of clowns.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I used to take the girls for a 30-45 min walks 3-5x per week, but now is getting colder and rainy and is getting dark earlier. so if its not rainy we goto the doggie park for at leat 30 minutes on the weekend.

Some of you may remember we got kicked out of our apartment a few months ago because the neighboors complaint about the girls barking tooooo much
, so we went to live with a friend until we could find something else. :wacko:
so just recently bought a house and we move in the begining of october. the house has a fence back yard and a front yard so the girls now have area where to play. :D

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Just want to give a little warning re the fenced yard and playtime. ( Though I assume most don't let their babies outside on their own fence or no fence.)
I also don't know if you have birds of prey in your area .. but we have hawks where we live in NY.
Two summers ago we were outside with Missy. We were puttering around in the yard and Missy was nicely lounging on the patio. I was a very short distance from her in one direction, ...hubby about the same distance in another direction.
I suddenly saw this huge hawk fly into a nearby tree( well actually at first just saw a 'shadow'.. it then fly over us to a tree very close to Missy about 20 feet from her)and was looking down at her. I ran, scooped her up and put her in the house. when i came back out the hawk flew off.
When I was a kid I saw hawks at breakneck speed swoop down and pick up chickens our neighbors had.. so I know they'd have little trouble picking up a little Malt.
I know I felt that hawk was stalking Missy and though it didn't become a problem.. it was a bit too close for comfort for my liking!
Please be cautious when your babies are outside!
Missysmom

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Originally posted by adorableaccentsdogbows.com@Oct 26 2004, 05:08 PM
I live in Jersey and also have hawks and get this...eagles

I never let them out without alone. I'm scared to death they'll be carried off and never seen again.
Kelly
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=13371
[/QUOTE]
I also live in Jersey...and today I saw an Osprey on the utility pole in my back yard. That bird was beautiful! But I was so surprised to see it in my tree. Needless to say, I will not be letting out pup out without close supervision! I also heard that Bald Eagles are making a comeback here and there are several nesting pairs in the state. I don't know where they are, as I haven't seen any around Monmouth County.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Originally posted by saltymalty+Oct 26 2004, 06:45 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-adorableaccentsdogbows.com
@Oct 26 2004, 05:08 PM
I live in Jersey and also have hawks and get this...eagles

I never let them out without alone. I'm scared to death they'll be carried off and never seen again.
Kelly
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=13371
I also live in Jersey...and today I saw an Osprey on the utility pole in my back yard. That bird was beautiful! But I was so surprised to see it in my tree. Needless to say, I will not be letting out pup out without close supervision! I also heard that Bald Eagles are making a comeback here and there are several nesting pairs in the state. I don't know where they are, as I haven't seen any around Monmouth County.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=13380
[/B][/QUOTE]
I'm in Ocean county. We're pretty close. Small world.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Javier "plays basketball" with my brother each evening. That basically involves him scampering around my brothers feet almost getting hit by the basketball and tripped over. He's been hit several times. It always ends in my brother chasing him around the garden - it's good exercise.

Occasionally he also plays badminton with us. We play and when the shuttlecock hits the ground we have to grab it before he does otherwise the next 15 minutes is spent trying to retrieve it from his mouth - more good exercise.

Before the exam lead up period started I used to take him to the park once or twice a week. It's about a 20 minute walk either way and we'd stay there running around the oval for as long as I can last, about an hour all up

For us walking certainly isn't essential because I have a 14 year old brother who'll run around in circles and engage in energetic play but in general I don't believe they need an awful lots of walking full stop.

Just make sure you take them with you when you go to the corner store

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
We do most of our playing inside. Every evening I try to play fetch with my babies. Kallie loves it more than life itself. She lives for playing ball. I have a long living room/dining room combination so we have a great "field" for playing ball.

I also worry about predatory birds outside. I have fenced in a small portion of my yard and that is where they sometimes go outside for a little sunshine. I would never leave them out there alone, though.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
We so our exercising inside also. I feel that between us and the kids and the cats...he gets plenty. We go walking every once in a while...but I usually walk longer and faster than he is ready for...I need to build him up to it...now that it is cooling off, I hope to get out and walk more...we don't let him out to play without us b/c we don't have a fenced in area, (except the big dog run)...and we live on a very busy street. I don't trust him to not run off...he only goes out with a leash...the few times he has gotten out without it...he got is BIG trouble.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Tuffy sounds like a couch potato compared to everyone else's pups! He HATES going on walks.. I try to take him on walks anyways though.
He just is such a lazy dog, he prefers to just snooze than run around. I haven't taken him on a walk in a while though because the mosquitos are outrageous around here. They are huge! And I'm so allergic to mosquito bites that I'm trying to avoid the outdoors at all costs.. which unfortunately seriously curbs our activities. Tuffy isn't complaining though :lol: This is how much he hates walking, we sometimes walk near some sports fields and people will sit in their cars watching their kids play.. well, Tuffy will try to get into any car that is open. He is such a nut!!

·
Registered
939 Posts
Tiki loves walks and I think if I would do it he would just go for walks all day and night!

We go quite a few times... 7am, around noon, 4pm, and again just before bed at 10pm. These are the "scheduled" walks, they take anywhere from 10 minutes when I am in a hurry to 45 minutes when I need time away from the house. We usually do more or go into the yard and play between thee walks. Of course he also has some fun running around like a crazy person every time someone comes home :D

Judi

·
Registered
994 Posts
also with fences make sure that they can't get out on the bottom of the fence
because they can squeeze through, i would get the 30 foot lease and hook them on it rather than let him run free it would make me too nervous

1 - 20 of 20 Posts