Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may have noticed Rocky got a new hair cut that is rather short and I'm not too happy about it. What makes it worse is he looks so skinny. I already knew he was skinny, but now it's so obvious. I can feel every rib and his spine. He weighs 5lbs. And he's about 14 months old. What can I do to put one more pound on him? What can I feed him that he can tolerate and maybe gain a little weight? He has a long body and long legs and I think he can stand to gain some weight. He can be finicky, but will eat chicken when I bake or boil it. He will also eat some baked salmon. I mostly give him the kibble mixed with a little bit of chicken or salmon. He on average eats 1/4 cup a day, but sometimes (including breakfast and dinner) 1/4 -1/2 cup. I give him Natural Balance Treats or Nukes. He sometimes will eat an egg in the morning. But very rarely. He has a tiny kong with canned frozen food about twice a week in evenings.

I give him Castor and Pullox Natural right now, but need to buy dog food. I don't know which to put him on...maybe one higher in calories? I was going to put him on the Organix by C&P. Anyone have any suggestions for me? I'm at a loss!:smilie_tischkante:

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
There are lots of different options. You can increase the amount of food he is getting at each serving, you can add in another meal, you can purchase a higher fat/calorie content food, etc. The list is the same as a human. Has your vet indicated that Alex was too skinny or weighs too little?

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Aolani eats almost 1/4 twice a day - so almosgt a half a cup of food a day. He's been 6 lbs for quite some time now and I can feel his ribs, but he's not Kate Moss skinny. Like Erin said, maybe you can give him a little bit more food each day.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Have you looked in to Ziwi Peak already, Dianne? It's supposed to be pretty high in fat - around 26-27% which is much higher than Castor and Pollux which I believe is around 14%. I've heard and read great things about it. My local natural pet food store carries it and I've given samples to Bailey. He loved it but I really have to watch his weight, so I chose not to get Ziwi Peak for him.

Maybe others who have fed Ziwi Peak can offer you some advice on it or you could check with your vet. Here's the link to their website: Natural Range Of Premium Pet-food Products - Ziwipeak - Natural New Zealand Pet Nutrition

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Yeager loves Ziwi Peak but you could only give them a little bit of it a day based on the weight/age calculations on the back of the bag. He might feel full from it since it's air dryed food, but I feel bad for only letting him eat so little. As a solution, I use Ziwi Peak as a topper(just a little bit) on regular dry kibble. Right now he's eating Wellness Core and he loves it! He eats about 3/8 to 1/2 cup a day and he's 6.3 lbs. We've tried a range of dog foods already including CP Organix, Orijen puppy, Orijen fish, Wellness Super Mix for Small Dogs, and now the Wellness Core. Out of those, Yeager loves the Orijen puppy and the Wellness Core the most.

·
Premium Member
8,521 Posts
Noelle eats a little over 1/4 c. of Dr. Harveys morning and night she is 11" long from neck to base of tail and weighs 5 lbs 5 oz. and the vet said that she at the perfect weight for her. She just has a longer slimmer build. I figure it's like us humans some are shorter and chunkier and some are long and lean. :)

·
Premium Member
5,785 Posts
Annie has weighed in at 5 lbs even for about two years and I always thought she could gain a bit. Recently, I switched her over to a pre-mix with raw protein. She started with Dr. Harvey's Canine Health, but is now on Sojo's grain free.

She gets 1/2 oz pre-mix and 1 oz protein twice a day. To me it seems that she has plumped up a bit and I plan to bring her in to be weighed this Saturday. She loves the Sojo's - she wasn't tolerating Dr. H as well. (Sophie is doing great on Dr. H though.)

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
I forgot to tell you what he eats!!! Hunter used to eat 1/4 cup of natural balance twice a day. Currently he is eating 1/3 a cup of Grandma Lucy's Artisan twice a day.

He also gets additional veggies added in the evening and either fruit babyfood or yogurt in the morning.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
My two eat Acana Pacifica & Acana Grasslands (I rotate every-other bag for variety), and they each get 1/4 cup twice per day, so 1/2 cup each per day. Some days they eat slightly less, and other days they are still hungry so I give them a few extra kibbles.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Seems like a lot of us feed the same ammount, 1/4 cup twice a day.
Us too!
And I give them treats (an Acana kibble piece) for pottying and when practicing commands.
Lately I have been covering their kibble in salmon loaf (a small bit).
And they really like salads.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Actually, when I took him to the Vet a couple of weeks ago for the tick my vet wasn't there. He had a very nice female vet there for the week he was away. She didn't say he was too thin, but that's not why I had him there. And if they are anything like doctors for humans, you have to ask and be your own doctor sometimes. Maybe she didn't think he was too thin, but people that don't know me well will tell me he's a tiny guy. The Yorkie across the street from me is 6 1/2 lbs and is a nice size. I wouldn't want him to gain a lot of weight, maybe just a pound. I gave him very lean beef tonight and he ate well.:innocent:

There are lots of different options. You can increase the amount of food he is getting at each serving, you can add in another meal, you can purchase a higher fat/calorie content food, etc. The list is the same as a human. Has your vet indicated that Alex was too skinny or weighs too little?

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, I guess that is what most of us feed them. On good days he will eat 1/2 cup. Wish he was more consistent. I do vary his food and he tolerates it really well. I also give him Spot's Stew Kibble.

Us too!
And I give them treats (an Acana kibble piece) for pottying and when practicing commands.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the replies. I guess I'm feeding him enough, but he is a pretty active pup, so maybe he has a high metabolism...wish I had one!:innocent:

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, I wish Rocky would love something! Maybe I'll try the Wellness core, but I know he didn't like Wellness canned food at all. I may lean to trying Orijen, where do you get it?

Yeager loves Ziwi Peak but you could only give them a little bit of it a day based on the weight/age calculations on the back of the bag. He might feel full from it since it's air dryed food, but I feel bad for only letting him eat so little. As a solution, I use Ziwi Peak as a topper(just a little bit) on regular dry kibble. Right now he's eating Wellness Core and he loves it! He eats about 3/8 to 1/2 cup a day and he's 6.3 lbs. We've tried a range of dog foods already including CP Organix, Orijen puppy, Orijen fish, Wellness Super Mix for Small Dogs, and now the Wellness Core. Out of those, Yeager loves the Orijen puppy and the Wellness Core the most.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Salads? What kind? What is salmon loaf? Sorry I'm so ignorant.:HistericalSmiley:

Us too!

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Debbie, Rocky weighs 5lbs and I just measured him and he's 11 inches long. He is 10 inches high. Is that close to standard? I'd like to have that longer slimmer build!:HistericalSmiley:Do you have a recent pic?

Noelle eats a little over 1/4 c. of Dr. Harveys morning and night she is 11" long from neck to base of tail and weighs 5 lbs 5 oz. and the vet said that she at the perfect weight for her. She just has a longer slimmer build. I figure it's like us humans some are shorter and chunkier and some are long and lean. :)

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Thanks, I wish Rocky would love something! Maybe I'll try the Wellness core, but I know he didn't like Wellness canned food at all. I may lean to trying Orijen, where do you get it?
Here is Orijen's website with their locations in Arizona:
Arizona

I wish I knew how the fluffs decide which food they like better! It's trial and error for Yeager, and he grows tired of a flavor quickly too :mellow: but I'm hoping that the Wellness Core is a keeper!

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Is Wellness core different from canned wellness in flavor? Thanks for the website in Arizona...you're a doll. :you rock:

Here is Orijen's website with their locations in Arizona:
Arizona

I wish I knew how the fluffs decide which food they like better! It's trial and error for Yeager, and he grows tired of a flavor quickly too :mellow: but I'm hoping that the Wellness Core is a keeper!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts