Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I have three questions and hope you don't mind that I keep posting these queries:

Info - our male puppy is just 12 weeks old. (we got him a week sooner than breeders here recommend). He is 3lbs plus an ounce or so. The woman we got him from said to do free feeding - food always available. We are concerned about that, mainly due to potty training but we will do what is best for him. We've known our vet for a long time and trust him but don't think he knew what to suggest about food quantities (he said maybe 1/4 cup a day).

My questions:
1. Do you recommend leaving food for him all day?
2 Are specific eating times okay?
3. What is the correct total quantity of high quality, grain-free Dry puppy food?

Thank you so much!

·
Premium Member
1,644 Posts
I think it depends on each individual fluff. :blink: I keep kibble available for Aviannah but she is not an over-eater at all. If she would start over eating I would stop immediately. :thumbsup: I feed grain free and I feed her things like "fresh shredded chicken and green beans" (small amount of course) at meal times when we eat. She loves fresh veggies and fruit and I use those as well as treats for her. :w00t: Just make sure you do not feed any human foods that are toxic to dogs or unhealthy in general though. I pull a small amount of food out before I season it for us if sharing with Aviannah because I like using onion and garlic seasoning which is bad for pups. :blink: If you do a search here you will find many threads about food/feeding and what people like to use. :thumbsup: I know a lot of maltese have allergy issues with food so you have to watch for signs of that as well.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts