Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! Just to give background info, I am married and we have no skin kids--just one malt-baby who we got as a puppy 5 years ago and she is the love of our lives! I have always wanted to get another furkid, but I am relunctant. DH wants a puppy, so it's going to be a LOT of work. But once the puppy stage is over, how much work is it with two malts? Is it double the work with things as far as grooming, bathing, etc.?

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Of coarse it's double the work as far as bathing, grooming, etc. But what they give back and what you feel in return more than double makes up for all the extra work!

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
Oh it's a labor of love, honestly. The grooming and bathing, is also a bonding time. I've mostly always had two, and it is truly double the love. I truly enjoy every aspect of caring for them, so it never seems more work to me.

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Christine (Allheart) said it perfectly! A labor of love! It's more work but twice the fun! Weekly grooming takes longer and double vet and groom bills but it's so great having more than one. My two keep each other company and really act like siblings. They hate to be separated. The best thing I ever did was add a second malt to our family.

·
Premium Member
20,073 Posts
Your pup is 5 years old? Is she still very playful? Puppies can be so energetic and a bother to an older dog. Perhaps you could tell the breeder the personality you are looking for, it might make the transition easier.

I have three malts, ages 7, 6 and 2. The youngest would LOVE to play moire with the other two, but they usually just like to lay around most of the time. :unsure: So I find myself chasing her through the house :blush::D...nope, I'm not complaining, I love her so much.

Bath day takes a bit longer (I actually have 4 dogs) - but the love I get back is so worth it!!! :wub::wub: :wub::wub:. And I go to work just so I can afford their grooming and the best food :blink: - but I wouldn't trade them for the world.

·
Premium Member
6,092 Posts
I feel the same way. It is so worth the extra time. For me though, adding the second one was not near as much work as I thought it would be. I love having two.:wub:

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I found more difference between one and two than between two and three. Three is def. about the same as two.

One is definitely easy .. if that is what you're going for but I get so much joy from having more than one. It fun to watch them interact, etc. And each one is so different from the other ... I really enjoy their individual personalities.

Honestly ... since your girl is five and has been an only pup all this time, I really think it will be a big adjustment for her. I think the adjustment will be harder with a puppy. Puppies always want to play and they are mischievous and sometimes annoying. If you get even a 6-7 month old I think the adjustment will be easier for all. Lots of times breeders will have one that age that they were holding back for show. That's how I got Claire at 7 months. It was a great age for her to join us.

Good luck!!!

·
Premium Member
24,028 Posts
I only have one but I too think a perfect solution would be a teen. I got Tyler when he was 8 months old and he was very puppyish is a good way. He was already well trained and socialized by his breeder so wee wee pad training was a snap; no destructive behavior, etc. So the major puppy work you talked about would be lessened and your current Malt will have a puppy who isn't quite as insane as real little ones. So maybe look for a teen, a retiree or a rescue who is at least 7 months old. We'd love to see pix of your current Malt. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pat, yes she is five years old now but still acts very much like a puppy. She's extremely social... she actually approaches people first before they even notice her! And her approach is not a nice, calm 5 year old dog approach... it's, "OMG stranger! LOVE ME!" And licks them, and jumps around excitedly. Lol. She's also very social with other dogs as well.

Thanks again everyone for your inputs! You've all really helped me weigh the pros and cons very well. It sounds as though, in the end, there really are no "cons"!

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
Pat, yes she is five years old now but still acts very much like a puppy. She's extremely social... she actually approaches people first before they even notice her! And her approach is not a nice, calm 5 year old dog approach... it's, "OMG stranger! LOVE ME!" And licks them, and jumps around excitedly. Lol. She's also very social with other dogs as well.

Thanks again everyone for your inputs! You've all really helped me weigh the pros and cons very well. It sounds as though, in the end, there really are no "cons"!
I'd say the only 'con' is if you get a puppy that isn't well suited for your adult dog. Sounds like your girl is still a giant puppy herself! I love having multiple dogs, honestly.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts

Being social with other people's dogs will likely be much different from having one in your home. Kallie loved it when a friend brought her Malt over to play. So I thought she would like a playmate. She was only two years old and she was so upset when i got Catcher. It took a long time for her to tolerate him.

I've posted this pic many times but the look in her eyes, tells it all. This is a couple days after I got him. Of course now, 6 years later she is fine with him. They are not buddies but she knows she's top dog around here! I don't want to discourage you but just prepare you!! I just have a feeling that she would have accepted a dog that was a little older faster.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I added a second baby to my family almost one year ago. My oldest Bailey was 6 years old and Sophia came home at 15 weeks. I couldn't have asked for a better fit! I did speak to Sophia's breeder and told her about my older girl. Sophia has been such a joy to have I don't mind the extra work of having 2. In fact I want to add a third! They are tons of fun and really the only difference I have seen is the grooming time is longer and food and vet bills are a bit more. I would do it all over again though. My girls really love one another and have really bonded and become best friends. Good Luck with your decision :)

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
I didn't think much about having multiple dogs until I had had two with health issues at about the same time - a senior miniature poodle who was blind, deaf, senile, and had kidney failure; and a maltese with transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder. Seems like I was constantly at the vet. for about two years. Even though mine were almost ten years apart in age, their medical problems were close together.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Like everyone says it is double the grooming and cost but what we find most tasking is the travel. It was much simpler traveling with just Lily. We don't like leaving our pups behind when we travel. This fact is a major hurdle in us considering adding a third. Also our two don't play together so that was disappointing but I do think they keep each other company a bit when we are not in the house. I'm thinking walking three pups will be a challenge as we like to walk them after their meals. Despite the disadvantages we adore our girls.

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
I just wanted to add my own personal experience as far as adding a new addition, and the age of your current malt.

Just my opinion strictly as a pet person, and our experience.

Our first "malt", was our precious boy Flakey. He LOVED other furbabies, as long as they were the same size or smaller.

When Flakey was 3, we added our precious Tina Marie. Sadly, she passed at age 7. He loved his Tina Marie.

We then added our precious Kara. Flakey was 10 years old. Yup, 10. Now keep in mind we assessed Flakey's tempermant and he still was so puppified at the wonderful age of 10.

Kara and Flakey were truly best friends.

I will tell you this, having Tina Marie as a pup, and Kara as a pup, was the easist training for me, thanks to Flakey.

The below pics are not the best, but the first one if of Kara and Flakey :wub: Now in this pic Flakey was 11 years old maybe 12.

Dog Canidae Christmas tree Dog breed Tree

And this pic is shortly after we brought home Kara. Oh how he loved to play catch me if you can with Kara :wub: They truly adored each other.

Dog breed Canidae Non-Sporting Group Tail Poodle

So as far as age, I think it really depends on the malt you currently have. We knew our Flakey inside and out and his last 5 years, were with Kara, and I tell you, brought him much happiness, as well as us.

Of course, all the additions were done under close supervision.

But if either Tina Marie or Kara, would try to get into something they shouldn't, Flakey would bark at them :), as if to say, no no no.

That's just my experience and I am sure it varies with each individual malt.

Once Flakey went to the bridge, our Kara was more than happy to be the only one, that's how she wanted it, and that's just how we kept it.

So, I guess, to answer your first question, of course, it's double everything, but when you love them so much, it all seems to just equate to such joy.

And as far as adding, just my personal opinion, really know your current furbabies tempermant and how they will accept a new addition.

Of course, in both situtations, there is always a transition period, but in our case, Flakey made it so very easy, but still there was a transition period, which is to be expected.

Wishing you the very best.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
Sometimes the first dog becomes set in ways and likes getting ALL the attention. This is why it's best to get a puppy before the dog is much over two. Have you considered an adult retiree?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Well I got Maggie as a 14 week old pup. When she was about 8 mos old we added Trixie who was one yr old at the time. We had gotten Trixie from a local rescue. From the get go, Trixi wanted to play and play hard. Maggie, being the timid little girl she is wanted none of it - for one day. The next day it was on and has never stopped. They spend time together as well as apart and seem to love each other like siblings. As you may know, we adopted Whisper just a week and a half ago. Trixie is fine with her and even initiates play which Whisper was glad to join in (prior to her surgery yesterday). Maggie, on the other hand is a little snot and growls at Whisper if she gets too close while I am holding Maggie. Funny thing though, Maggie started initiating play with Whisper the day before her surgery. I found the three of them bouncing off one another. Well, Whisper didn't bounce so much but she was clearly having fun. When we brought Whisper home from the Vet last night both girls approached her very slowly and just sniffed her. I guess you just cannot tell for sure but it has worked out for us and I had honestly never given it much thought adding another. DH did tell me NO MORE.:HistericalSmiley: Is it more work? yes, but it is worth it to me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts