Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, Kirby is 6 mons old and he weighs 8.4 lbs. He is obviously not having any pain from his surgical site from neutering based on his activity.

He has ear infections in both ears and I have to put ointment in once a day. My son and I tried doing this in the morning. I put him on his grooming table and my son had some treats and was also trying to keep his head steady. Kirby went so nutty that he not only went flying off the table and by the grace of God I caught him mid air but he also knocked over the table :smilie_tischkante:

The Vet tech called at noon to see how he was today and I told her what happened when I put the ointment in one ear. She told me to give him his sedative earlier tonight around 7pm and to wait until 9pm and that the sedative would make it easier. I gave it to him at 7pm and by 7:30 he was sound asleep, so I figured....ok I'll just put him up on the table and do this myself..........WRONG :blink::angry: He started going bonkers the minute I got near his ear and I could not hold him with one arm, it was like trying to hold a 500 lb slippery gorilla :sweatdrop:

I went to put everything away and Kirby put himself in the crate and went to sleep :innocent:

The good news is my daughter came home at 8:30 and by then the sedative really had a hold of him and I was able to get the ointment in his ears :chili::chili:

During the time when I wasn't sure what time my daughter would be home and if I was going to have to try to put the ointment in by myself again I googled "How to put ear drops in small dogs" and found this website

How to Put Ear Drops in Small Dogs | eHow.com

It even has a Maltese in the photo, but read Instruction #1 and please tell me who can hold their Malt with their knees????:OMG!:

I don't know about everyone else's Malt but when Kirby doesn't want to be restrained he has the strength of a BULL :eek: I've been saying this since he was 5 lbs "He is 5 lbs of FIERCE" :blink: Honestly, how can something so little be so crazy strong???:smstarz:

I would love to hear about your experiences with how strong your little Fluffanutter is... or is it just me :blush:

·
Registered
590 Posts
:wavetowel2:Oh Kathy that was tooo funny. Max had an ear infection and the ointment is awful I guess its cold on their ears. My husband and I would get into an arguement cuz I kept saying your holding him tooo hard your going to hurt him...and by the way the guy is also strong as an ox. Oh and by the way its hard to get that ointment off the ears get really greasy so good luck with that try to get it in the ears not on like I did my hubby moved when he shouldn't have...men...lol My Max is 8.5 at 10 months.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Imnot so sure she is all that strong! But if something is going on that she wants NO part of, she turns into a squirmy, wiggly, growling, snappy, contortionist ailien in Malt fur. She seems to do all of this at the same time, being so little it's hard to restrain her. A larger dog could be put in a head lock, with somebody laying on it's body

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
:smrofl::smrofl: I just read that "How to." Yeah, right.:whistle: Sounds like it's as easy as pie. Not so much. :smilie_tischkante: I never had to put anything into Tyler's ears but he really isn't wild for me trying to get hairs out of eyes or drops into them to keep them clean. I have to get him up on a table with a towel under him and then he knows I mean business. Kind of trapped like a rat. :thumbsup:But if he's on the couch or anywhere else, fuhgedahbodit!!:smpullhair: At least Kirby has sedation. Now you need a little of it.

·
Premium Member
24,175 Posts
B&B might be a old girl but she is a crazy wild woman when I put ointment in her ears:w00t: somedays she's that way when I groom her:blink: my dh has to help me with the ointment

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Bisou doesn't work out or anything (aside from her daily yoga stretches) but she did fight me a lot when I first starting to brush her teeth. Now she'll let me do it, but I hold her in between my knees.

For ear drops, I put them in her ears after each bath. I keep her wrapped up in a towel and don't let her see the bottle of ear cleaner. I open her little ear flap, drop a couple drops and then massage the ear. She doesn't love it but doesn't squirm- and the towel really helps a lot.

·
Premium Member
6,086 Posts
I'm sorry you are having a hard time with Kirby's ears. I can sure relate. My Lily is barely 4 pounds, but if I try to trim her nails, she goes nuts so I have to have the vet do it. I kid you not, it took 4 people to do her nails last time.:w00t: Hey, that's one person for each pound!:HistericalSmiley::HistericalSmiley:

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
I don't think its all that funny. The stress the dog goes through it not healthy. Honestly, how amusing is it that a dog has to be manhandled to have its nails trimmed? Maybe I'm missing it.

The burrito wrap usually works quite well. Wrap snuggly and place the dog in your lap or on the table head facing away from you. Some dogs calm down if you cover their eyes. If the dog is truly threatening to bite a muzzle may be necessary for safety. We use these things when the dog has to be treated now and cannot wait to become accustomed to what should be routine handling.

Otherwise it is back to remedial handling/gentling
Handling & Gentling | Dog Star Daily

For your dog's own good, it is important that they learn to let you touch them all over, look in their ears, look in their mouths, touch their paws, etc. It takes longer to work with a dog who already has negative associations (vs. a puppy with a "blank slate"), but with time and patience any dog can learn.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts