Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! How often do you bathe your babies? One groomer says every seven days, and others say that grooming them once a week will dry out their skin and coat. What do you think? I've been grooming Bella every Monday because she seems to act like she's bothered if I wait longer. This is a dog who goes outside and then wants me to pick grass off her feet as soon as she sees it, but I don't want to irritate her skin :new_Eyecrazy:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Originally posted by bellasmommy@Sep 13 2005, 01:48 PM
Hi!  How often do you bathe your babies?  One groomer says every seven days, and others say that grooming them once a week will dry out their skin and coat.  What do you think?  I've been grooming Bella every Monday because she seems to act like she's bothered if I wait longer.  This is a dog who goes outside and then wants me to pick grass off her feet as soon as she sees it, but I don't want to irritate her skin :new_Eyecrazy:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=99252
[/QUOTE]
i bathe them about once a week. My vet told me it was fine as long as you use a gentle dog shampoo. also, use a high quality conditioner to moisturize their skin.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! My groomer uses organic dog shampoos, so surely they're gentle, but since I'm paraniod I'll try to read the label and do a search online for the ingredients

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I bathe Lady faithfully every week. I find she looks dingy and doesn't smell as good if I go any longer. I also do "mini baths" in between with Proline Self Rinse, clean her eyes with a cotton ball and wash her face and beard if it gets grubby.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I think it is fine as long as you use good quality products. During the winter you might want to back off to every 2 weeks if you notice her skin getting dry.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom@Sep 13 2005, 12:03 PM
I bathe Lady faithfully every week. I find she looks dingy and doesn't smell as good if I go any longer. I also do "mini baths" in between with Proline Self Rinse, clean her eyes with a cotton ball and wash her face and beard if it gets grubby.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=99264
[/QUOTE]
Where do you buy Proline Self Rinse? I saw it online for $5 but I don't want to have to pay for shipping for a $5 order. Belle had a bath yesterday before she got herself over stimulated. Now she has a huge mat which I got out with detangler but her coat in that area and her face and beard need to be bathed again. Would her normal shampoo be too harsh for her again so soon? I used #1 Pure White Lightening Shampoo and Pet Silk Bright Silk Rinse on her yesterday. I am hoping Proline Self Rinse is at pet stores????

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I have never seen Proline in pet stores. I usually keep a running list and order when I have enough items to justify the shipping charges. I agree, you hate to spend $7 to ship a $5 item!

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm so glad I'm not bathing her too often. I could probably stretch it out to two weeks if I needed to, but I don't want to
She smells so good after her bath!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Originally our vet said every 7-14 days, but once we found out Rex had such bad skin allergies, she gave him a prescription shampoo and we are supposed to bathe him every 2 to 3 days. Now that his skin is clearing up, he can go a little longer, but come the 4th or 5th day he starts getting itchy, so that is as long as we can wait. I am hoping come winter we dont have to bathe him that often. He seems to be getting better as time progresses. We also dont dry him, that was further irritating his skin, so we turn up the thermostat an hour before his bath until he is dry, his hair is short now, so he dries in less than an hour.

·
Registered
994 Posts
i have a standard appt every 3 weeks and i give maxi a bath every week
my groomer told me not to use anything but an oatmeal because i also was drying maxi out so i use mild shampoo on top of that he hates baths so it sa struggle for me he acts like he is being violated lol my poor baby as we speak i am getting ready for the BATH wish me luck

·
Registered
831 Posts
the girls get a bath every week or 7 days. sometimes even every two weeks with mini baths in between.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Sir N still looks and smells good after two weeks. In the winter, I wash him about every three weeks as he stays even cleaner then due to all the clothes he's wearing. Little C gets bathed about every 5 days or so. Due to her skin problems, she starts losing that fresh smell within two days and by the time bath time rolls around, she looks a little nasty. I guess because she's closer to the ground, she gets dirtier faster. I would like to bathe her every two days, but won't because I don't want to destry her skin...but then again, I've noticed that she is generally better immediately after a bath.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Lacey gets a bath once a week, but wouldn't you know it...hubby takes her outside the next day to play and she is dirty all over again. That is their thing...mommy cleans but daddy gets to play rough with her outside so she is all dirty.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Frosty gets a bath every week, sometimes even every 5 days or so. She doesn't get terribly dirty, but with the way she & Dafney play, she doesn't smell very good if I wait any longer.

·
Registered
17,036 Posts
My mommy bathes me every week whether I need it or not. ~Sassy

Sassy gets a bath every 7 days. A couple of times Lil Miss Shagnasty" went for 10 days, but our norm is 7 days.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Miko gets a bath every week but since he also goes for walks 2x/day, I wash his feet with soap after every walk in a sink. Its kind of a pain, but otherwise he licks his feet obssesively plus I worry about little dirty paws in the apartment. Not that I am a neat freak, but I can never wear shoes in the house and its kind of the same thing. I tried using baby wipes and/or doggy wipes instead of soap for his feet, but it seemed that his feet would still be dirty -- so I use soap after walks but I do always feel guilty that I may be drying out his paws!!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts