Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My babies are about 8 mos. I notice this past week and a half they don't eat as much anymore. They usually eat twice a day. It's like 5:15pm right now and they still haven't eaten their doggy food. Do maltese eventually eat only one meal a day?

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
I am not sure, I noticed Caesar has some days he eats really well and others that he doesnt eat very much. He is 10 months and eats 2 times a day. He does get some treats inbetween (cheerios when he goes potty on the pad, and when hes in his cage he gets cheerios, food, and a twist treat). He also gets a Science Diet bone each morning after he eats his breakfast.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Brinkley is 6 months and I still feed him twice a day. But, some days he doesn't eat all his breakfast, and it is still there at supper...so I don't give him any more. (I might sprinkle a few fresh kibbles on there to pretend...
) Eventually he will eat what is in there before bed. He seems to go in spurts with his eating habits. When there are several days in a row that he doesn't eat well, I give him a dose of nutrical. Makes me feel better anyway...

He doesn't get treats during the day while we are away at work/school...so that shouldn't affect his eating. I know that I have heard many people only feed theirs once a day...our outside big dogs we do...but for now, I am going to stick with twice a day for Brinkley...(I do split his daily feeding amount in half...so he gets the right amount in a day...)

·
Registered
939 Posts
Tiki is a grazer.... some days he doesn't touch his food and other days he surprises me by putting down more than I think he could
. I wouldn't worrey to much unless you see other signes of illness. Of course, as Ceaser's mom siad, if they are getting lots of treats (and what malt doesn't?
) that could be filling them up.

Keep us posted.

Judi

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I let Tuffy graze.. sometimes he'll eat his entire bowl in one day, other times that bowl can stretch for two days. He seems to just eat when he feels like it.. I think your dogs will probably get used to the routine and more than likely by the next time you feed them they'll probably eat the whole thing because they'll be a little hungrier than they are now.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Hi

From the information I have read and been given, most pups are fed 3 times a day until they are about 6 months old when they move to 2 times a day, and then by about 12 months old they are right for 1 feed per day.

Maybe you should see how your pup goes, if it continues to only want to eat once a day, maybe it is ready to reduce it's feeding, or maybe it is eating too much at one meal or something. If you wanted to try it out, some people who feed their pups once a day will split what would normally be their meal into two and then give them half in the morning, half at night. Just a suggestion... but if I were you, if pup continues to only want one feed a day, I'd split it and just leave some bikkies available during the day so it can graze if it wants....

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I'm not that worried. It's weird because BOTH my kids are not eating alot. They do the same thing! Maybe I am feeding them too much treats. I give them honey combs right now. I should not give them too much, but they are sooo adorable, I can't help it! But, they seem energetic. Maybe they're tired of the Eukanuba. I can't stand that brand. I do NOT like how their breath smells when they eat that. I hope BilJac smells better!

BTW, Does nutrical expire?

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
8 months old and eating 2 times a day is exactly what you want(it helps you measure if theyre eating and how much they're eating. which is exactly what you're doing now.). and yes, nutrical expires. i think it takes like 3 yrs though. its imprinted at the tube bottom.
btw, my sister thinks your avatar is ADORABLE!!! and im sure that if you cut out the treats they'll eat more food.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Lexi will be 8 months on the 25th. I feed her twice a day, but in the last month or so I have noticed that she doesn't seem to be eating as much. About 2 weeks ago I switched to Innova and with this food she gets only 3/4 a cup of food a day. What I do is give her 6 Tbsp (1/2 of the 3/4 cup) in the morning. Most of the time she doesn't eat all of it in the morning and will eat some more at lunch (I forget to pick up the bowl). I add the other 6 Tbsp to the bowl at supper and she eats all of it.

Oh, the reason I don't leave the bowl in her crate is because she tips it over every time I do and she usually has to poop about 15 minutes after eating. So the twice a day feeding works better for us.

Also I sometimes use her food as treats. This way I know she is her dog food and not getting to many actual treats.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by doctorcathy@Sep 16 2004, 08:21 AM
8 months old and eating 2 times a day is exactly what you want(it helps you measure if theyre eating and how much they're eating. which is exactly what you're doing now.).  and yes, nutrical expires.  i think it takes like 3 yrs though.  its imprinted at the tube bottom. 
  btw, my sister thinks your avatar is ADORABLE!!!  and im sure that if you cut out the treats they'll eat more food. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=9336
[/QUOTE]

Tell your sister thank you! *kisses from Butter Cloud.*
I think there's 2 reasons why they're not eating quite right. First, I think I've been feeding them alot of treats although I just started feeding them honeycombs and there habit of not eating has started a couple of wks ago. Secondly, My babies don't wake up until I wake up and lately, my sleep schedule has been off (as in I can't wake up!)
In one day, I'd give them close to 2 cups all together. sometimes more if I see that they ate it all too quick. They haven't lost weight though. Maybe my bf fills up their bowl when I'm not looking! Maybe I should ask!
Just thought of that now!

Thanks for the input. :D

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, so I notice that Noriko's eating, but not Cloud. His tummy growls louder than my tummy! His eukanuba is almost out so I'm going to go ahead and get him some biljac's! Must be tired of eukanuba. I think my babies are allergic to it anyway
. Off to the pet store.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Maxi sometimes will even go a day now with out eating so i give him nutri-cal just so i know he has something in him, he drives me crazy with these new eating habits he drinks alot of water and sometimes i hear him crunching on his IAMs which i leave out a whole bowl of them so he always has food but his regular meals he has been skipping alot i get so nervous but everyone tells me they will eat when they are hungry

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i'm back from the pet store. Didn't get biljac's because it was either THE MOST expensive or the 2nd most expensive dog food there! I bought nutro max. Don't know if he likes it as much though. When I changed them over from science diet to eukanuba, they went crazy over eukanuba! And now I got this brand, and he's just "ehe" with it. But he's eating, so that's something for now.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've had 2 malteses in my lifetime..first Geronimo for 12 1/2 yrs and now Gigolo who is 6 + months. Geronimo was a voracious eater. I couldn't put the food down fast enough and he would inhale it..he ate twice a day and I would give him treats as well for "going on the paper"!! He was little with his weight varying from the lowest being around 5 lbs to highest at 6 lbs. Now I've got Gigolo who is so different that Geronimo in so many respects. I guess no two kids in a family are alike why should malteses be any different?? Gigolo is a total grazer. Also very particular about treats......(by the way, wasn't going to spoil/condition this one to get a treat every time he went on the paper and it worked..he only gets praised!! )When I first brought him home at 12 wks I also originally was planning to give him food 3 times a day. Well as soon as I saw that he was a grazer, why waste the food. Just as some of you stated. I leave the him his food in the AM and "freshen it up" in the evening. He rarely finishes the food. His trainer said that if you want a dog to eat at a specific time, you condition that dog by placing the food down. If he doesn't eat within a half hour of your placing it down..pick it up and he doesn't get anything until his next meal. She said they get the idea very quickly.."oh boy if I don't eat this now, I'm not going to get anything until later!!" I personally don't care that Gigolo is a grazer.

The instinct "not to starve" is there and they eat when they are hungry just like wild animals who hunt only when hungry. Not like humans who also can "graze" and eat ALL THE TIME!! And of course if we eat between meals, and give them treats, Cheerios etc. between their meals then we are constantly stimulating their appetite and what dog wouldn't prefer people food, table scraps and treats over their own "kibble"!!
Didn't mean to go off on a tear here...I'll stop now!
Enjoy your weekend!
Gigolo's Mom

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No No, Gigi's mom! That was very informative. I'm trying to give them less treats and human food. And I think I will have to leave food out at only certain times of the day. That was a good idea! Thanks. I really want to have them on a poop schedule too!

May I ask you Gigi's mom...[hope you dont mind that nick(sounds like jiggy)], how did you get that name! GIGOLO?!?!?! Is he really a gigolo? HAHAHHAHAH

·
Registered
43 Posts
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Sep 17 2004, 06:47 PM
No No, Gigi's mom!  That was very informative.  I'm trying to give them less treats and human food.  And I think I will have to leave food out at only certain times of the day.  That was a good idea! Thanks.  I really want to have them on a poop schedule too!

May I ask you Gigi's mom...[hope you dont mind that nick(sounds like jiggy)], how did you get that name!  GIGOLO?!?!?!  Is he really a gigolo? HAHAHHAHAH

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=9491
[/QUOTE]

Everyone asks me how I gave him the name. Actually it started with his predecessor, Geronimo. I used to say all the time that Geronimo just lived off me..I teased that he never bought me a Mother's Day card because he didn't have pockets to carry money, never carried groceries etc. When I knew I was getting a new Maltese I once again thought of catchy names..(everyone always remarked and got the irony about Geronimo's name because it was such a strong name for such a little dog).

When I thought of Gigolo, I decided it was perfect, he stays home and I support him. Also it started with a "G" in honor of Geronimo. He already has a nickname, "Jiggles". I'm sure he will have others just like Geronimo (Moskey, Geronimommy, G-man, Sweet Boy, Honey Mosk, Moskerini)
Thanks for asking!
Gigolo's Mom

1 - 17 of 17 Posts