Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I gave Koda a cut myself with some clippers, do you think 10 weeks old is too young? He pretty much will let me do whatever I need to on him without too much fuss so far.

Thanks

·
Registered
965 Posts
I like puppy cuts but the longer hair WILL help keep the pup warm.

Even my three year old dog is happier in longer coat except for the warmest time of year.

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
At 10 weeks, it's up to you if you want to give them a haircut (although I wouldn't take them to the groomer!) Usually at that age, the coat is not too difficult to maintain so i personally would never give a 10 week old a haircut with clippers. But it's up to you.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
are you just wanting to keep the hair super short to make it easier to maintain? A 10 week old puppy HAS a puppy cut..it is a young puppy. I would think the coat would be pretty easy to maintain until at least 4-6 months of age... I prefer long hair so I dont do puppy cuts though.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I can tell you that (responsible) Poodle breeders start shaving face, feet and tails at a very early age so their puppies are used to the grooming process. While a haircut may be unneccessary, I don't think it would be harmful at all. If you are planning on keeping his hair short, then it's a good training opportunity IMO. I do agree that 10 weeks is too young to go to the groomer though, you should do it yourself or find a mobile/housecall groomer w/ OCD.

·
Banned
242 Posts
My little girl is 10 1/2 weeks. She is very easy to maintain. I love her fluffy coat. I have had her exactly 1 week today. I know the breeder should of kept her till 12 weeks but she did not agree with me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for your input. I do love his fluff and it is at a great length. I just would like his tail and face a little shorter. I do live in NC and its already 90 degrees here this week, it gets very humid. I do plan on keeping a puppycut during the hot months.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts