Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I gave Koda a cut myself with some clippers, do you think 10 weeks old is too young? He pretty much will let me do whatever I need to on him without too much fuss so far.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
At 10 weeks, it's up to you if you want to give them a haircut (although I wouldn't take them to the groomer!) Usually at that age, the coat is not too difficult to maintain so i personally would never give a 10 week old a haircut with clippers. But it's up to you.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
are you just wanting to keep the hair super short to make it easier to maintain? A 10 week old puppy HAS a puppy cut..it is a young puppy. I would think the coat would be pretty easy to maintain until at least 4-6 months of age... I prefer long hair so I dont do puppy cuts though.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I can tell you that (responsible) Poodle breeders start shaving face, feet and tails at a very early age so their puppies are used to the grooming process. While a haircut may be unneccessary, I don't think it would be harmful at all. If you are planning on keeping his hair short, then it's a good training opportunity IMO. I do agree that 10 weeks is too young to go to the groomer though, you should do it yourself or find a mobile/housecall groomer w/ OCD.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for your input. I do love his fluff and it is at a great length. I just would like his tail and face a little shorter. I do live in NC and its already 90 degrees here this week, it gets very humid. I do plan on keeping a puppycut during the hot months.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.