Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you know if your puppy is not eating enough? Ever since our last Vet vist I have been worried that Ty is too thin. At 16 weeks he weighed 3.6 lb, and had gained almost 1 lb from the previous month. The Vet happened to mention that he was thin and then said he was going through an "adolescent" growth spurt. Ever since then I've worried about whether he is eating enough.

Ty has food down all day, he tends to be a "grazer". He eats a few pieces at at a time through out the day. One day he might eat big and then the next day not so much. He is active and playful, growing in size with no signs of illness.

But I can feel his ribs when I pick him up, he does have a little belly but nothing like he did when he was 8 weeks old. Is there anyway to be sure he's eating enough? I don't think he is a picky eater...... I wondered if I should get canned food or feed him something different but I don't want to create an eating problem.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
It's fine to have food down all day but I always made sure it was eaten by the end of the day. If K or C had not finished I would hand feed them and they would then finish it up. Puppies often just aren't too interested in eating but they need all the nutrients provided by the food in order to grow up healthy. 16 weeks is still quite young.

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do hand feed at night, we sit on the couch and cuddle while I hand feed as much as I can. I've also been giving him some cooked chicken and cubes of cheese.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Nikki hasn't been eating a lot the last 2 days. So this morning I nuked her food for like 30 seconds. It made the oils come out more and kicked up the smell. She scarfed the food done. I did the same at lunch and she ate some more. You could try that.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Small frequent meals are the ideal. I would feed 3 meals a day and add some canned if that helps.

Puppy belly goes away as they grow up.

You want to feel their ribs but you don't want them overly prominent and really don't want their backbone prominent.

The vet is right...many growing pups are fairly thin. They'll fill out later.

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have always "heard" that if you give a dog canned dog food they won't want to eat dry......... any problem with that?

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
You can create a picky eater babying them alone. If you want to feed canned, that's fine. But put the food down for 10-15 minutes and take it up. You eat or you go hungry. This is how you create a good eater who eats what is in front of them. It took my Jonathan a while to adjust to this (he had a few years of free feeding), but now he eats his meals and even gets excited for them. I know immediately if their appetites are off and I know exactly how much everyone ate.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Do you put the kibbles in the micro
Summer won't eat her dry kibbles alone always has to have something in it, eggs cottage cheese chicken etc., But when she goes outside she eats Christy's dry kibbles
I think I've spoiled her
I tried the can and she smells it and looks up at me like are you kidding me I'm not eating that stuff :lol:
I 'm thinking i should give her vit. any suggestions?

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Originally posted by Theresa@Jun 30 2005, 08:48 AM
  Summer won't eat her dry kibbles alone always has to have something in it, eggs cottage cheese chicken etc.,  But when she goes outside she eats Christy's dry kibbles
  I think I've spoiled her 
I tried the can and she smells it and looks up at me like are you kidding me I'm not eating that stuff :lol:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=76481
[/QUOTE]

If your dog is eating a balanced kibble, she should not need a vitamin supplement. For dogs with various health conditions supplements can be quite useful. Why do you think she needs one?

Low fat cottage cheese, plain yogurt, eggs, etc. are all nice healthy extras.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Originally posted by puppymom@Jun 30 2005, 06:37 AM
I have always "heard" that if you give a dog canned dog food they won't want to eat dry.........  any problem with that?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=76429
[/QUOTE]

Not Maxi i always have his kibble out for him and his canned food with the chicken he takes turns eating when he is in the mood for dry he eats that when he wants his canned he eats that i think its according to each furbaby and there appetite

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Originally posted by Maxismom+Jun 30 2005, 10:23 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-puppymom
@Jun 30 2005, 06:37 AM
I have always "heard" that if you give a dog canned dog food they won't want to eat dry.........  any problem with that?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=76429
Not Maxi i always have his kibble out for him and his canned food with the chicken he takes turns eating when he is in the mood for dry he eats that when he wants his canned he eats that i think its according to each furbaby and there appetite
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=76530
[/B][/QUOTE]

I assume you'll have to change his eating routine when Jake arrives. I wonder how he'll feel about it? Some free feeders can be resistant to converting to eating on a schedule. I know many of our diabetic pooch parents have trouble with this when their dogs are first diagnosed and have to start eating twice at day at the same time each day.

Marilyn, BTW, I had Lady at the vet's this morning (vaginal infection this time, poor baby) and we weighed her. 9 pounds on the nose, so switching to EVO hasn't caused any weight gain. Thanks for the tip about only feeding 1/4 cup. If I'd fed according to the package guidelines (3/4 cup for a 10 pound dog) she'd be a blimp by now!

I do add riccota cheese, plain nonfat yogurt and steamed veggies to her diet, though.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Originally posted by JMM+Jun 30 2005, 07:42 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Theresa
@Jun 30 2005, 08:48 AM
  Summer won't eat her dry kibbles alone always has to have something in it, eggs cottage cheese chicken etc.,  But when she goes outside she eats Christy's dry kibbles
  I think I've spoiled her 
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=76481
If your dog is eating a balanced kibble, she should not need a vitamin supplement. For dogs with various health conditions supplements can be quite useful. Why do you think she needs one?

Low fat cottage cheese, plain yogurt, eggs, etc. are all nice healthy extras.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=76513
[/B][/QUOTE]
I was just thinking she seems to eat more of the eggs or chicken than the kibbles I was thinking balance I guess. I know she eats good Just curious how many of you do the vits.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
If you prefer to feed her home cooked with the proper supplements, that is absolutely fine. Please be sure to do it from reliable recipes or something formulated by a veterinary nutritionist.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Originally posted by JMM@Jul 1 2005, 12:40 PM
If you prefer to feed her home cooked with the proper supplements, that is absolutely fine. Please be sure to do it from reliable recipes or something formulated by a veterinary nutritionist.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=76912
[/QUOTE]
JMM i always feed her the utral Natural Choice with either egg, some type of meat lamb ,chicken etc and always a tsp of cottage cheese I wouldn't want to figure out the home cooked method. so I'm pretty sure she's getting what she needs
I just wondered if anyone gave vit. on top of there regular meals?
Curious

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Nupro is one supplement I like. Most dogs like the flavor of it and in my experience it does help the coat. I usually prefer to do a single specific supplement for a specific issue nowadays instead of the all-in-one. Unless she has a specific condition you want to treat, she doesn't need one. If you want to give one, it probably won't hurt.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts