Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are going on vacation in June, and unfortunately Belle cant go with us. I dont really have anyone (family/friends) that will be able to watch her for me, due to small children/other dogs, etc. But I dont know how to go about finding a good kennel for her.... The other dog owners in my neighborhood all have other people watch theirs, but I wont trust just anybody with my baby. Especially since she'll still be so little. Should I ask for places from my vet? Or will the places let me visit to look around?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Is Belle going ot be 6 months by then? I don't know if you will be able to find a places that will take her under 6 months (you could always lie though I guess lol) You might want to ask one of your friends or neighbors if they can come over to your house a couple times a day to feed her and play with her and whatnot.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
there was a thread on here A LONG time ago where people listed where they live and if they're willing to babysit your dog. try contacting fellow SM members.
and then your dog wont be confined to a kennel and can play with a fellow malt.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by MomtwoMaltmuffins@Apr 24 2005, 10:48 PM
Wow that seems so soon after you get her to leave her. You are getting Belle the first week in May? Can you find anyone to live in while you are gone? 

Is there any way you could have the breeder look after her while you are away, since I am not sure if she will be fully potty trained by June? 

I know it is just me, but I could not leave one that young.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=56102
[/QUOTE]
I know... I HATE to leave her that young, but we shelled out SOOOOO much money last year to get this beach house.
So the "will be hubby" says that theres no backin out... And, of course I dont want to take her to a kennel, but all of my family either has small small children, or other dogs that I dont know if I would trust. There is one place in our area that I know of which is like a little pet resort, and they have vets on hand etc etc.... www.animalcarecenters.net.
Now, the only problem is she's only going to be about 4 months old, so I know a lot of places wont take her.... Im so confused. I just want to take her with us -_- , but I dont want to put that stress on her of being in a car for 12 hours and then being outside ALL day. Plus, the beach house we got has a strict no pet policy.
Oh, and I guess I could ask the breeder. But I know that she already has 4 dogs, plus the three puppies she has now (two of which arent spoken for). Which I guess wouldnt be all that bad since thats the environment she's coming from. But Im afraid after being home with me (I took a 2 1/2 week leave for when she comes home to get her adjusted) that she wont get any one on one.... So confused. And so lost.... I dont wanna leave my baby -_-

·
Registered
994 Posts
Originally posted by treasures_cherished@Apr 24 2005, 05:47 PM
We are going on vacation in June, and unfortunately Belle cant go with us. I dont really have anyone (family/friends) that will be able to watch her for me, due to small children/other dogs, etc. But I dont know how to go about finding a good kennel for her.... The other dog owners in my neighborhood all have other people watch theirs, but I wont trust just anybody with my baby. Especially since she'll still be so little. Should I ask for places from my vet? Or will the places let me visit to look around? 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=55993
[/QUOTE]

what state do you live in we all should help each other so we don't have to board at a kennel i live in westchester county ny zip 10707 if anyone locally to me has to go away and i am available i would be more than happy to sit for free
maxi would love a friend for a week

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by Maxismom+Apr 25 2005, 09:26 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-treasures_cherished
@Apr 24 2005, 05:47 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=55993
what state do you live in we all should help each other so we don't have to board at a kennel i live in westchester county ny zip 10707 if anyone locally to me has to go away and i am available i would be more than happy to sit for free
maxi would love a friend for a week
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=56152
[/B][/QUOTE]
I live in Cincinnati.... Thanks so much for the reply though!

·
Registered
894 Posts
We just went through this with Sisse, we are leaving on Thursday for Chicago for 5 days. I went through our Vet and found a gal that takes in ONLY small dogs and only 2 at a time. She is home 24/7 so Sis would not be left crated. We have taken her over there twice so far, once just to get aquainted and once we left her for a few hours. She was ok with it, and did not seem stressed or nervous when we picked her up. She is going again today for the day and we are getting her back this afternoon. We want her to know we go, but we come back.....You won't have much time to work on this, so I would suggest finding someone to come and live in while you are gone. I know, it's so hard to leave them.....

If anyone needs a sitter locally, I live in Tucson.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Originally posted by Sisses Momma@Apr 25 2005, 09:57 AM
We just went through this with Sisse, we are leaving on Thursday for Chicago for 5 days.  I went through our Vet and found a gal that takes in ONLY small dogs and only 2 at a time.  She is home 24/7 so Sis would not be left crated.  We have taken her over there twice so far, once just to get aquainted and once we left her for a few hours.  She was ok with it, and did not seem stressed or nervous when we picked her up.  She is going again today for the day and we are getting her back this afternoon.  We want her to know we go, but we come back.....You won't have much time to work on this, so I would suggest finding someone to come and live in while you are gone.  I know, it's so hard to leave them.....

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=56174
[/QUOTE]

LOL you could have brought her to Chicago she could camp out w/ Tunder. He is working on his International Playboy routine so he could use the practice woo'ing the girls.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Thanks for the offer!! She is being spayed next month, so I don't want her getting and "ideas", especially with a Playboy like Tunder around!! LOL

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by dhodina+Apr 25 2005, 10:17 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Sisses Momma
@Apr 25 2005, 09:57 AM
We just went through this with Sisse, we are leaving on Thursday for Chicago for 5 days.  I went through our Vet and found a gal that takes in ONLY small dogs and only 2 at a time.  She is home 24/7 so Sis would not be left crated.  We have taken her over there twice so far, once just to get aquainted and once we left her for a few hours.  She was ok with it, and did not seem stressed or nervous when we picked her up.  She is going again today for the day and we are getting her back this afternoon.  We want her to know we go, but we come back.....You won't have much time to work on this, so I would suggest finding someone to come and live in while you are gone.  I know, it's so hard to leave them.....

LOL you could have brought her to Chicago she could camp out w/ Tunder. He is working on his International Playboy routine so he could use the practice woo'ing the girls.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=56185
[/B][/QUOTE]
I wish!!! After much thought, I dont think I will leave her at a kennel. There are too many dangers, especially with the fact that she will still be so little. I dont know what to do. I dont have anyone to help me out, due to my reasons earlier. And I dont know if I trust the pet sitter services to be in my home. So, if anyone lives near me..... :D I'll find something. My honey's parents watch our other dog, but 'mom' said she cant handle two, especially not a puppy. So maybe I will see if she can at least come over and let her out/feed her......

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Your pup won't have all the vaccinations she needs for a kennel to take her. I would call the breeder. I am sure they would be more than happy to take her while you are away, after all they want you to bring her back if you don't want her don't they? They won't mind just sitting. Alot of breeders actually LOVE sitting the pups that they have sold. They love the breed and their pups so it's like a grandma sitting for their grandchild. I am sure your vet will be more than happy to take her for a little while. She will know how to care for her and keep her safe. Yes your breeder is your best bet.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Originally posted by Sisses Momma@Apr 25 2005, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the offer!!  She is being spayed next month, so I don't want her getting and "ideas", especially with a Playboy like Tunder around!!  LOL

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=56207
[/QUOTE]

He has to work on his routine because he lost his manhood in Jan. So he now needs to learn to talk to em not try to
em. hahahaha poor Tunny.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Originally posted by treasures_cherished+Apr 25 2005, 08:35 AM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 25 2005, 10:17 AM

[/QUOTE]
I wish!!! After much thought, I dont think I will leave her at a kennel. There are too many dangers, especially with the fact that she will still be so little. I dont know what to do. I dont have anyone to help me out, due to my reasons earlier. And I dont know if I trust the pet sitter services to be in my home. So, if anyone lives near me..... :D I'll find something. My honey's parents watch our other dog, but 'mom' said she cant handle two, especially not a puppy. So maybe I will see if she can at least come over and let her out/feed her......
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=56209
[/B][/QUOTE]

I would NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES HAVE ANYONE JUST COME AND "LET HER OUT/FEED HER". Maltese are PEOPLE puppies and MUST HAVE that human contact. Leaving the puppy at home alone and someone just feeding it would be WORSE to me than putting it in a kennel. With a new puppy you must watch how they are eating, you never know when they may go into hypoglycemic shock. If the puppy is upset being left all alone it may not eat, their health can turn on a dime. Someone needs to be with it.....

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by Sisses Momma+Apr 25 2005, 10:44 AM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 25 2005, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by [email protected] 25 2005, 10:17 AM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=56209
I would NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES HAVE ANYONE JUST COME AND "LET HER OUT/FEED HER". Maltese are PEOPLE puppies and MUST HAVE that human contact. Leaving the puppy at home alone and someone just feeding it would be WORSE to me than putting it in a kennel. With a new puppy you must watch how they are eating, you never know when they may go into hypoglycemic shock. If the puppy is upset being left all alone it may not eat, their health can turn on a dime. Someone needs to be with it.....

Apology...... I didnt mean to write it that way. At all. I was typing too fast as my phone was ringing and oven was going off. What I MEANT to post was to see if 'mom' can come over and spend time with her here, instead of taking her to her own house. Of course she couldnt be here all day, due to work, but could run by in the am before work, and immediately after to spend time with her. I FEEL LIKE SUCH A MEANIE for writing that previous, but it was not AT ALL what I meant to post.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=56223
[/B][/QUOTE]

·
Registered
894 Posts
You don't need to apologize to me
I always try to remember that sometimes the "written word" does not come across as you meant it. I hope I did not offend by typing in all CAPS......I just got a bit scared at that moment....you'll find a good solution to the kennel problem, just put your heart into it!!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Apr 25 2005, 12:53 PM
If your mom can't do that I would recommend talking to your vet to see if they could recommend a pet sitter.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=56257
[/QUOTE]

I think that's an excellent suggestion. Lots of times vets have people on staff who love animals so much that they'll pet sit on the side. That way you know your pooch is in good (and skilled!) hands and they get the bonus of having a doggie to play with while you're gone.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts