Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From what I have learned from my internet reading I have learned the following information.
Do not look for a puppy on the internet web sites.
Do not look for a puppy in the newspaper.
These could be puppy mills or backyard breeders which could be bad.
I looked the American Maltese Association list of breeders. I have learned that if you get a female puppy of pet quality that is too small to show or breed. It will cost $3,500 in Tennessee. This kind of price puppy mills should be on the rise. I personally know of someone who has a dog from the Hollybell Puppy Mill in Tennessee and she is plannning to breed her. Would there be a problem with getting a product of one of these puppies? I don't know where to turn.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Bijousmom@Jun 13 2005, 10:12 AM
From what I have learned from my internet reading I have learned the following information.
I looked the American Maltese Association list of breeders.  I have learned that if you get a female puppy of pet quality that is too small to show or breed.  It will cost $3,500 in Tennessee.  This kind of price puppy mills should be on the rise.  I personally know of someone who has a dog from the Hollybell Puppy Mill in Tennessee and she is plannning to breed her.  Would there be a problem with getting a product of one of these puppies?  I don't know where to turn.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=72081
[/QUOTE]

I think when it says "Do not look for a puppy on the internet web sites", it means not to buy from a site that lists lots of dogs from multiple breeders. I heartily agree. However, you can find great info and a great breeder by looking at that breeder's web site and seeing their puppies' parents. Some even post pedigrees, etc. Of course, that is just the beginning... if what you see on their web site seems A-OK and you think you'd like to get your puppy from that breeder, then it's time to start asking for references, checking with us on SM, etc.

I am sorry that you don't know where to turn.... Please let us know more info about what you are looking for and let us see if we can offer some help.... Please don't hesitate to PM me.....

IMHO, I would not want a pup that came from the Hollybelle breeding program.... yes, the pup could be great if it came from one of the well-bred Hollybelle parents, but it may not be well-bred... and why take the chance. And there is no way to know for sure, because it has been said her paperwork was not always accurate/honest.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
AS K& C's mom said, if you got a puppy from one of the well bred Hollybelle Maltese, you'd be fine, but it appeared she was selling two different kinds of dogs. The other kind were nothing better than puppy mill puppies and I guess there is a question about whether or not many of them are even purebred. It is thought many were mixed with Westies.

Maybe K&C will share her excellent breakdown of the pricing of Maltese puppies by tiers. I believe she found that the "middle tier" breeders were about $1500 for a female. Well worth it since you can spend $800 for a puppy from a BYB and then have to turn around and spend thousands on knee surgery or liver shunt surgery a year later.

Would you consider a rescue Maltese? Southern Comfort Maltese is located in Tennesee.

http://www.scmradoption.com/

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Jun 13 2005, 09:42 AM
LadysMom... what a great idea about rescue... I took a  look at their site and there is a precious 2-3 year old male who is already neutered....

Jordan - Rescue Maltese
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=72097
[/QUOTE]

OMG! What a handsome boy!

For all of you with "puppy fever", I confess I am a sucker for rescues. I could walk by 10 puppies, but I'd have a lot of trouble walking past that boy!

Good thing my vet bills are so terrible (was just in there again this morning with Miss Lady!) and I'm a bit far from Knoxville!

Some really fabulous Maltese end up in rescue.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom+Jun 13 2005, 10:52 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Kallie/Catcher's Mom
@Jun 13 2005, 09:42 AM
LadysMom... what a great idea about rescue... I took a  look at their site and there is a precious 2-3 year old male who is already neutered....

Jordan - Rescue Maltese

For all of you with "puppy fever", I confess I am a sucker for rescues. I could walk by 10 puppies, but I'd have a lot of trouble walking past that boy!

Good thing my vet bills are so terrible (was just in there again this morning with Miss Lady!) and I'm a bit far from Knoxville!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=72101
[/B][/QUOTE]

Hey Marj.... I have friends driving in from Knoxville the weekend of June 25... I'm sure they wouldn't mind bringing that sweet boy with them!! You're not that far from me!!!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom@Jun 13 2005, 10:37 AM
AS K& C's mom said, if you got a puppy from one of the well bred Hollybelle Maltese, you'd be fine, but it appeared she was selling two different kinds of dogs. The other kind were nothing better than puppy mill puppies and I guess there is a question about whether or not many of them are even purebred. It is thought many were mixed with Westies.

Maybe K&C will share her excellent breakdown of the pricing of Maltese puppies by tiers. I believe she found that the "middle tier" breeders were about $1500 for a female. Well worth it since you can spend $800 for a puppy from a BYB and then have to turn around and spend thousands on knee surgery or liver shunt surgery a year later.

Would you consider a rescue Maltese? Southern Comfort Maltese is located in Tennesee.

http://www.scmradoption.com/
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=72096
[/QUOTE]

Marj, I did post all the links to puppy prices in her other thread:

http://spoiledmaltese.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=4392&hl=

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Jun 13 2005, 10:31 AM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 13 2005, 10:52 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Kallie/Catcher's Mom
@Jun 13 2005, 09:42 AM

Jordan - Rescue Maltese

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=72101

[/QUOTE]

Hey Marj.... I have friends driving in from Knoxville the weekend of June 25... I'm sure they wouldn't mind bringing that sweet boy with them!! You're not that far from me!!!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=72123
[/B][/QUOTE]

Only if he comes with a trust fund!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Originally posted by Bijousmom@Jun 13 2005, 08:12 AM
I looked the American Maltese Association list of breeders.  I have learned that if you get a female puppy of pet quality that is too small to show or breed.  It will cost $3,500 in Tennessee.  This kind of price puppy mills should be on the rise.  I personally know of someone who has a dog from the Hollybell Puppy Mill in Tennessee and she is plannning to breed her.  Would there be a problem with getting a product of one of these puppies?  I don't know where to turn.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=72081
[/QUOTE]

Just out of curiosity, who was the breeder in TN that was charging $3500? I only know of a few show breeders in TN but I don't know what their pet prices start at.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
This Tennesee breeder is on the American Maltese Association breeder's list:

Wynsom Maltese
Tullahoma, TN
931-454-0533

Anyone had any experience with them?

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Just out of curiosity, who was the breeder in TN that was charging $3500? I only know of a few show breeders in TN but I don't know what their pet prices start at.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=72149
[/QUOTE]

Bea Naysmith has moved to Tennessee, so I would think that is the breeder she is referring to, given the previous post about years experience with showing.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The breeder is given above Jerre Dunlap, Wynsom Maltese, she is a really nice person to talk to and I'm sure her dogs are of top quality and wonderful. I just can't justify to myself spending $3,500 for a puppy that I don't plan to breed.

Who is Bea Naysmith, and does she have Maltese puppies in Tennessee? Please excuse my ignorance on the show world. She could be very well known in the Maltese world. I hope that I haven't offended anyone.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts