Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tuffy has to start some medication today that isn't chewable.. I completely neglected to ask the vet for advice on this one.. Any tips on how to get them to swallow a pill?

·
Registered
942 Posts
This sounds mean, but my vet told me to open the mouth and stick/put the pill towards their throat, almost like you are pushing it down their throats with your pointer finger. That way you know for sure it went down and it is super quick. I love the cream cheese idea, any tasy treats work.... but my Beagle, Daisy, she always found a way to eat around the pill, so one day I looked down in the kitchen and there the pill was, on the ground.

~Elegant

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I molded some of the special dog food the vet gave me around the pill and he took it with no problems. Now I'm working on getting him to swallow the liquid suspension medication

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Elegant@Sep 24 2004, 11:49 PM
This sounds mean, but my vet told me to open the mouth and stick/put the pill towards their throat, almost like you are pushing it down their throats with your pointer finger.  That way you know for sure it went down and it is super quick.  I love the cream cheese idea, any tasy treats work.... but my Beagle, Daisy, she always found a way to eat around the pill, so one day I looked down in the kitchen and there the pill was, on the ground. 

~Elegant
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=9938
[/QUOTE]

This is how I give Lexi pills. Once you get used to it it is really quick. She doesn't mind it at all.

We used to give my parent's dog pills "wrapped" in chees or peanut butter. Worked pretty well but sometimes she would eat everything but the pill. She was very good at finding it. We started to grind up the pill into small pieces and mix it with chunky pb (which she loves). She couldn't tell what was nuts and what was the pill so she would eat all of it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts