Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to prevent Burt grass from urine stains?
Other then using the pills they give dogs to change there pH. Is there anything else that can help?

When we first got Chester he burnt the grass very little. I have noticed now he is older it is a lot worst. Now with both Chester and Chelsey well I guess you get the picture.
Chelsey actually goes in side a lot so I know it is mostly Chester now.
Normally I don’t care but this year, I have put grass seed out three times to replace the burnt grass and the seed I put out is a high resistance for dog’s urine and grows very fast.
Well Chester seems to be burning it way faster then it is growing this year.
My concern is next year we will be selling our home and I like the back yard to be presentable. I’m very proud of my garden but the burned grass in the middle is a sore sight. Normally Chester would go down to the back of the yard to do his business but that is where all mositoes hang out, so he just goes in the middle now. This is fine I don’t want him to get bit.

Just so you get an idea of your back yard. We are very limited as to what we can do because it condominium town home. The workers come through the back gate at the bottom of our yard to cut the grass and rake leaves. So we can not make a section for the dogs to go in, because our yard is small and I’m sure the committee will not approve it.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Here is a picture. It is a lot worst now this was in the spring.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
There is something you can buy at the petstores to help with this, but not sure what it is called...
The picture is kinda funny when you know what it is... :lol:

There are two items on this petsmart page that might help...Lawn Savers

That didn't work...try this...

Lawn Saver
Grass Saver

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
They have products that can modify the urine pH, but if the urine gets too akaline or acidic, you run the risk of bladder stones and crystals. I sure wouldn't want to try to do that just to get rid of burnt spots on the grass.

If it were me, I'd probably just re-sod it right before I wanted to sell it.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by tlunn@Jul 27 2005, 11:44 AM
There is something you can buy at the petstores to help with this, but not sure what it is called...
The picture is kinda funny when you know what it is... :lol:

There are two items on this petsmart page that might help...Lawn Savers

That didn't work...try this...

Lawn Saver
Grass Saver
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=84971
[/QUOTE]

Thanks I have edited my post. I was looking for something natural if possible. I don't want to give chester anything that could harm him later on down the road. I did buy the pills but i'm affaid to give them to him without more information about them.
They are in the cobord looking pretty.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by LadysMom@Jul 27 2005, 11:55 AM
They have products that can modify the urine pH, but if the urine gets too akaline or acidic, you run the risk of bladder stones and crystals.  I sure wouldn't want to try to do that just to get rid of burnt spots on the grass.

If it were me, I'd probably just re-sod it right before I wanted to sell it.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=84984
[/QUOTE]

Thanks lady M. That's what I was afraid of. Now that you told me that I'm going to through them out. I asked my vet about it but they did not have much info to give me.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
The thought occured to me looking at the picture, that maybe if you watered the grass each evening, especially where they "go" more often, that it would dilute the urine enough so it wouldn't burn? I have no idea really, this hasnt happened to me, but we are in a really dry spell right now so my lawn has also seen better days. Healthy plants will resist abuse better than not so healthy, maybe it will be the same too with urine? Just a thought and good luck!!!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Duh- I happen to have a lawn book that I was borrowing on my desk... It in fact does say to water the areas thoroughly to wash away the urine, and to mow high (I dont know what that means). It says the hot dry weather is the worst for this, so maybe more water will help. It says to spot sod if you want to fix those areas quickly (they will eventually fill in otherwise) and.. this is funny... to consider a 'smaller' dog or a bigger lawn. smaller dog than a maltese!

This is from the Scotts people. I'd check the web site too.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
darn, you figured it out!! lol. i saw an episode of Pet Keeping w/ Marc Marrone and he said to just water the area after your dog pees.

i noticed that when our sprinkler system was broken...and watered too much...that gruffi's pee didnt burn the grass. i feel exactly the same way as you guys do---idont wnat to give them pills and sutff.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by LadysMom@Jul 27 2005, 01:36 PM
Here's a link from a vet on burnt grass stains. Apparently, some grass resists burn out better so maybe you could try a different type of grass?

http://www.landscape-america.com/problems/dogproblems.html
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=85032
[/QUOTE]

Ah ok that would make sence as I only started to use that new grass seed this year.
iI also water the grass after chester gose but it did not seem to help.
I guess it is also related to heat wave we are having too as tlunn mentioned
I guess I will have not choice but the resod next spring. Hopefully by then the grass will grow back on it own. I can't watit until we get our new detach so we can make a spot for the puppies.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Originally posted by Holliberry@Jul 27 2005, 11:58 AM
Duh- I happen to have a lawn book that I was borrowing on my desk... It in fact does say to water the areas thoroughly to wash away the urine, and to mow high (I dont know what that means).  It says the hot dry weather is the worst for this, so maybe more water will help.  It says to spot sod if you want to fix those areas quickly (they will eventually fill in otherwise) and.. this is funny... to consider a 'smaller' dog or a bigger lawn.  smaller dog than a maltese! 

This is from the Scotts people.  I'd check the web site too.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=85019
[/QUOTE]

Mow high means to adjust your lawn mower wheels higher so that when you cut the grass, it is not real short. It also means you have to mow more frequently, but if it helps you might want to do that.

·
Registered
831 Posts
THis is weired but our grass is actually greener on ther areas they pee

and I dont give any pills to the girls. I do water the lawn everyday but I dont do it right after they pee.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
At the begining of the year our grass was amazing to look at. It grow so high.. the neigbours were even asking what kind of furtilizer we use. all we did was put down that resistant grass seed. Maybe it takes a while to get really burnt out. Now it just looks horible.
Oh well. today I made sure I water the grass real good...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts