1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok the other day I let Cosmo sleep with us. He did real good, didn't bother
us or anything, just curled up next to me and went to sleep. The next day the
hubby and I were talking about it and he doesn't want Cosmo sleeping on the
bed because he says it isn't fair to Sierra (our Great Dane) I told him that Sierra
is too big and we would be getting rolled on and kicked and pushed out of bed
if Sierra slept on the bed. But he still insists that it isn't fair to her.

What do I do now? I would really like Cosmo to sleep with us, so how can
I make my husband understand that Sierra won't die becuace Cosmo can
sleep on the bed and she can't?

This is probably stupid and trivial but gosh darn it why can some hubby's
out there just be so gosh darn difficult???
KEY WORD: SOME

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
hmmm, this is a tough one, i can see his point, if i had a bigger dog and he "wanted" in bed but i had to tell him no but let a smaller one in that would be wrong, however if the bigger dog showed no intrest in getting in the bed i wouldnt have a problem with it

sorry, i know that was no help :lol:

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
This is what we do ... Chelsey is so good upstairs in our room she will just stay in her own bed on the floor beside ours... We did it once when she was sick. No issues at all she got up and used the wee wee pad in the night... and back to her bed.
Now chester from the day we got him does not sit still. We did try to let him sleep with us. but we ended up getting no sleep at all he was laying on my husbands head and moving all around under she sheets then he curled right up under my husbands back once my husband moved his leg and poor chester ended up under it... my husband is 6 feet tall . Chester did not even make a peep.. and thank goodness I was awake at the time ... to save chester. So now both of them sleep down stairs in there crates.. It would not be fair to chester and he would proberly bark all night long.

The other good thing is at least there won't be fleas in your bed or those warms if that ever happens... That'one way to look at it.

When my husband is not home... like he goes out with the boys... chelsey stays upstairs with me. in her bed . Shhhhhhh and chester does not make a peep. chester only get jelious when my husband is home.. then he will bark..

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Oh dear this is a hard one, but I think Joe has it right, you need to take the diplomatic approach. You may find that the bigger dog probably won't even want to get up on the bed, then you could have Cosmo there with you. Perhaps a nice bed next to your bed for the bigger dog is the way to go.
My hubby always said no dog is going to sleep in my bed, and now he wouldn't have it any other way, Scooby can do virtually what he wants in our house. He actually went through a stage where he chose to sleep in his own little bed out in the dining room, but once winter came back he changed his mind and came back to bed with us. We just go with the flow.
Perhaps if Cosmo were to make a lot of noise about being made to sleep alone your hubby may think again and allow him to come back to bed for the peace

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all for the replies. Since day one Sierra (great dane) has known she
is not allowed on the bed, instead she sleeps on the floor at the foot of
our bed. She knows it and is use to it. She is however allowed on our furniture
and pretty much has her own couch. But when I kept Cosmo in the bathroom
at nights while potty training him, the good ol' hubby didn't complain
that it was unfair then. LOL

I guess I understand how it is unfair but with Sierra's size she just needs to
realize that there are things she just can't do because of her size. I feel like
I am punishing Cosmo because of Sierra's size and vice versa. I guess I will
just have to deal with both of them sleeping on the floor in our bedroom, Cosmo
hasn't had an accident in the bathroom at night since like the 2nd week I got him.
So it should be safe to move him into the bedroom. and then I guess I will just
have to let him sleep with us once in a while.

While I am typing, does anyone else's malts think they are parrots? Cosmo likes
to sit on our shoulders or behind our necks when we are sitting on the couch
or my rocking chair. Of course he can't get on the furniture unless I put him there
cause he still is only 1lb. 12oz. as of last friday at his vet appt. He got his rabies shot and all went well.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Originally posted by LucyLou@Oct 28 2005, 01:05 PM
OK, it's Friday, and I've been good all week, so I think I'll express my thoughts on this:

Get you husband and the great dane their own bed.  

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=114322
[/QUOTE]

OMG I am sure hubby would love that one....not

As for the sitting on our shoulders, yes Scooby does that quite a bit when we are in our recliner chairs, if hubby is in his chair Scooby is always there, but if hubby is in his computer room and I am in my chair he is with me, perched on my shoulders or chest if I have the chair reclined. The thing I find though is when he is sitting there I can't see the tele past him

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
My situation is a little different, but basically the same. My girls have ALWAYS slept with me. When Billy came along, he wasn't ready yet (he's blind). When Henry came along, he couldn't because of his pee-pee problem. Now it would not have been fair of me to kick the girls out of the bed because of the boys.

Now that Daisy is staying with us, she also sleeps in my bed. So I guess the rule at my house is "No boys allowed to sleep with us".

Good Lord, no wonder I'm single!!!

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
I have a 100 lb English sheep dog and a 5 lb maltese. The 100 lb Sheepie sleeps on the floor on a very lovely bed on a quilt which os washed and fluffed weekly. The 5lb malt sleeps on my pillow. I love them both equally
HOWEVER, it would never occur to me (or my significant other) to bring the sheepie to bed with me. Just tell your significant other the great dane is welcome to come to bed but that then HE will have to find some place else to sleep because the great dane couldn't possibly be comfortable in such a cramped space

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
My hubby always thinks Rex is trying to take his place in bed. I always go to bed first and Rex gets in hubby's spot until he comes to bed. Hubby says he is going to get his own bed...I'm waiting!

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
I know someone who had a similar problem though the bigger pooch wasn't as big as a great dane.. they put an 'air-bed' next to theirs for the larger dog so he was 'almost" like being in bed with them : )

On a funny note.. I know a gal who got rid of her husband... said he was taking up too much valuable dog-space!

Terry, Angel Missy, and Naddie

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I think your husband has a point but I like things to be fair for everyone. Miko has slept with us in the past but now doesn't (its better for everyone if he doesn't).

My question is this though and its only for couples -- one of the reasons Miko doesn't sleep with us is because we sometimes need privacy and he will just stand right next to us. It feels kinda of wrong. Maybe we are just young and still do things in bed? Or do your dogs just ignore you in bed even you do things?? :new_Eyecrazy:

And yes, that's my husband in my signature picture

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Originally posted by okw@Oct 30 2005, 04:51 PM
I think your husband has a point but I like things to be fair for everyone.  Miko has slept with us in the past but now doesn't (its better for everyone if he doesn't). 

My question is this though and its only for couples -- one of the reasons Miko doesn't sleep with us is because we sometimes need privacy and he will just stand right next to us.  It feels kinda of wrong.  Maybe we are just young and still do things in bed?  Or do your dogs just ignore you in bed even you do things??  :new_Eyecrazy:

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=114906
[/QUOTE]

Are you saying "Old People" don't do things in bed - LOL

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Originally posted by 3Maltmom+Oct 31 2005, 02:37 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-okw
@Oct 30 2005, 04:51 PM
I think your husband has a point but I like things to be fair for everyone.  Miko has slept with us in the past but now doesn't (its better for everyone if he doesn't). 

My question is this though and its only for couples -- one of the reasons Miko doesn't sleep with us is because we sometimes need privacy and he will just stand right next to us.  It feels kinda of wrong.  Maybe we are just young and still do things in bed?  Or do your dogs just ignore you in bed even you do things??  :new_Eyecrazy:

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=114906
Are you saying "Old People" don't do things in bed - LOL
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=115010
[/B][/QUOTE]

Oh my, this could start up some good conversation

I guess it depends on just how old the couples are, but my opinion is "you are never too old to have that twinkle in your eye" but I have to agree with okw, it can be a little disturbing to have those beady little eyes staring at you or that playful little furkid trying to join in on the fun

·
Registered
2,474 Posts

My husband and I were discussing this last night! He asked if Wilson will sleep in the guest room, and I told him that no, he would sleep in his own bed in our room. My husband got quiet and said "yeah but what happens if we want to do it?".

I told him I wasn't sure how other people handle it....

I can't believe I am asking y'all this; but how do you handle it?!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.