he has is that he will not go outside at all. My guys use pee pads
and go outdoors when they can, so the issue is not a housebreaking
one. We have a very large, very safe fenced in
backyard for the boys to enjoy. Harry and Teddy love to roam
around the yard and sniff everything like dogs do. Ben will come
out onto the back porch and go no further. He lays by the door and
refuses to move. I never leave the boys alone in the
backyard, so when they're out there I'm usually walking around
with them and Ben will not join in the fun... he just watches.

I think that someone must have left Ben outside alone
a lot for him to act this way. I know that in the scheme
of things this is a minor problem... but isn't it sad how
people can really mess up a dog's life?

Here's a picture of my little boy:

benny3.jpg

·
Premium Member
24,175 Posts
oh what a precious little guy:smootch: I just want to cuddle with him:wub:
Matilda hates being outside, we have a large yard, B&B loves to check out everything many times a day, but Matilda runs out does her job and runs back in:w00t: even if I'm walking around or sitting out there she stay in the house by the slider:blush: I have had Matilda since she was 10 weeks old, just maybe Benny doesn't like being outside. I hope that's the case. I hate the thought of someone hurting that precious little guy

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Oh, he is sooooo cute!! Yes, yes, yes, humans definitely can ruin the potential that a dog has. That's why I get so crazy when I read posts sometimes from people who may not be doing what is best for their Malt!

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
Yeah,I know.I have two adoptees and it took a long time to do the damage their irresponsible owners did. Somedays I want to slap the piss out of the former owners....:smpullhair:
I think we need a "I wanna slap the piss out of someone" smiley!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Poor thing must have had a negative experience with the outdoors or maybe having being left outdoors alone a whole lot.
My malt rather stay indoors than out. When I open the sliding door to let her out to our fenced yard....10 minutes later she's waiting at the door to get back in.

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
Debbie -- Benny is such a doll. But I do know that rescues still have hold over traits from their prior enviornment (abuse or whatever). I'm sure Benny is wondering -- if I go into the backyard, will I ever be able to go in the house again or will they leave me here. And I'm sure he LOVES the house and being with his family.

It's sad that some of the fluffs have been in such bad situations. But it's lucky when they find their furever home.

·
Registered
744 Posts
that is SUPER sad. Vi doesnt know what toys are. NEver had an interest. Then it dawned on me...she was a puppy mill breeder. She didn't have toys, why would she want to play with something she doesn't know what it is? It would be like us playing with rocks. Just as silly to her because it's just another intimate object to her.
Yes...people can mess them up. Permanently.
I had a lab mix that was terrified to be left alone. It took us literally a good 8 years before he finally trusted that we'd be back. We had to leave him with people when we went to work because he would bust through windows, fences, pretty much everything that was in his way until he got out...then he would roam the streets looking for us. SOmetimes we would find him on the porch, wagging his tail, waiting patiently for his people.
*sigh*
He was the best dog EVER btw, he passed at the age of 19, 2 years ago June 20th. His name was Max, and he was a lab/pit mix. We rescued him from the pound on his very last day...literally an hour until he would have no longer existed. Can you imagine all those wonderful dogs just like him that didn't make it?
...sorry, another topic for another day...
Anyway, yes, people can be horrible.

(edited to corkt speling errorr)

·
Premium Member
8,521 Posts
What a cutie Benny is. I just hope it's like Paula said and that he just doesn't like the outdoors and not that he was left out. I have the opposite problem with Chloe, when we go out she likes to sunbathe, but it's just too hot out right now for her to do that. I always have to interupt her sun bathing and carry her in, when it's nice out i don't mind staying out longer.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
What you describe is most typically due to a lack of socialization. That means he was never exposed to an outdoor environment.
Does he like to eat? Its good weather now to feed the dogs outside. Move the bowl an inch or two a day closer. No force, just slow progress.
Have you tried taking him out somewhere else with another dog on leash? Changing the context may make the idea less frightening (since he has already decided your backyard context is frightening).

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Lola hates being outside. She just doesn't like the feel of grass, she hates the noises and whatever else is out there. We take her in our back yard, but if she hears a neighborhood dog bark, she runs back to the door. She's scared of her own shadow. Fortunately, she'll use pee pads, too, so when we are in Florida at our condo where there are loads of street noises, she can just stay inside and use pads. I have no idea how this happened. Tammy (her breeder) lives in the country, and she told me she'd taken her to shows, etc., to socialize her. Who knows? Coco, otoh, loves being outside and loves going for walks anywhere.

It's going to be interesting how Lola does when we take off next month in the motor home and hears all the RV engines running in the parks, etc. Let's hope she's not a nervous wreck.

Anyway, I'm sorry about your pup. He sure is adorable. Maybe he'll come around, but I am not sure it has a lot to do with his prior life--maybe, but maybe not. Perhaps he just doesn't like being outside. LOL That's possible.

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
Bitsy was a breeding dog,she hardly ever went on grass. She always used a pee pad,in a shower stall. It took her some time to get used to grass,now she loves to roll in it. Time,patience and lots of treats and words of encouragement and love overcomes so many things.
I couldn't put her on her back,she'd stiffen if I held her and now she's such a love bug and wants tp be held and will roll on her back for belly rubs.
Hang in there.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Bitsy was a breeding dog,she hardly ever went on grass. She always used a pee pad,in a shower stall. It took her some time to get used to grass,now she loves to roll in it. Time,patience and lots of treats and words of encouragement and love overcomes so many things.
I couldn't put her on her back,she'd stiffen if I held her and now she's such a love bug and wants tp be held and will roll on her back for belly rubs.
Hang in there.
Vi too!

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Benny is adorable. I think baby steps would be best. Like jamie said associate good things with being outside - like feeding time or give him lots of treats. But don't force it. If he's really interested in being outside, but just scared, he may come around later rather than sooner.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Socializing doesn't end when the breeder places a pup. You still have a lot of work to properly socialize a dog. I work diligently with mine with the 7's until 6 months, and then more casually thereafter. I continue to find novel experiences, things, and people even for my adults.

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
Have you tried making the outdoors more safe for him? I like what Jamie said about feeding out there and trying other outside areas (not your backyard) but have you tried carrying him around the yard and letting him sniff your bushes and plants from the safety of your arms?

Hunter used to be afraid of the beach and the crashing water - REALLY AFRAID. We started by taking rides in the car (which he loves) to the beach and just parking so he could hear /see/smell the ocean from the safety of his car. Then we progressed to sitting on the sidewalk, then walking on the sidewalk. Then walking on the sand when the water was calm, to walking on the sandbars at low tide. Now we are walking in the water as the tide comes in (gentle water) and walking on the sidewalk when the waves are crashing.

I don't think he will ever run into the crashing waves (that's ok with me) but now he no longer panics and scratches to get away from the sound of the ocean. It has taken a while but we have great pictures of him enjoying the beach and all the effort and work was well worth it!

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Have you tried making the outdoors more safe for him? I like what Jamie said about feeding out there and trying other outside areas (not your backyard) but have you tried carrying him around the yard and letting him sniff your bushes and plants from the safety of your arms?

Hunter used to be afraid of the beach and the crashing water - REALLY AFRAID. We started by taking rides in the car (which he loves) to the beach and just parking so he could hear /see/smell the ocean from the safety of his car. Then we progressed to sitting on the sidewalk, then walking on the sidewalk. Then walking on the sand when the water was calm, to walking on the sandbars at low tide. Now we are walking in the water as the tide comes in (gentle water) and walking on the sidewalk when the waves are crashing.

I don't think he will ever run into the crashing waves (that's ok with me) but now he no longer panics and scratches to get away from the sound of the ocean. It has taken a while but we have great pictures of him enjoying the beach and all the effort and work was well worth it!
Hi Erin,

I'm glad that Hunter likes the beach now.... especially since you do, too.
I have carried Ben around the yard many times and let him smell
everything and tried to slowly coax him into the yard with treats and
food. He gets very nervous and squirms and the minute I put him
down he bolts for the porch. He also doesn't enjoy walks all that much.
I have taken him to other places in the car for walks and he tolerates
them, but he would rather be carried than walk on his own. (Which
is why I bought him a Fundle... which he LOVES!)

Benny was a stray in an urban area when he was picked up and brought
to the animal shelter... which was not very nice either. He was a
mess when we got him.... medically and cosmetically. I guess when
I think about it, he's come a long way from where he started.... and he
is such a good boy... :wub::wub:.

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions on working with Ben.
I'll keep you posted on his progress.

Debbie

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
That does make me terribly sad. :( It amazes me how some people treat their dogs. Most of the time I wouldn't even treat a bug like that! I'm so glad that Benny has you now. :) He's such a cute little guy :wub: I just don't understand people. I wouldn't even be able to raise my voice to a little face like that! I'd just cuddle him forever!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts