Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help in figuring out what I can do to help Hunter. He has some broken roots to his baby teeth poking through his gums and they are causing him pain. We know this because his entire behavior is changing. He is no longer nibbling on our hands but is all out bitting them. He has also become more protective of his body (especially his mouth) and is showing signs of aggression.

We are leary about putting him under to have them removed as he was just under in April but I am wondering if there is anything that he can be given that might help his pain while we wait to see if he is able to expell them on his own.

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
Erin, I wish I had an answer. What does your vet say? Poor Hunter, I hate to think he's hurting.....:unsure:

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Erin - nothing helpful to add but I just hope you can find an answer. Sounds like he's really having major problems if he's reacting that way. Any way if he has to go under that they will keep it shortest possible time knowing what they're going in to do rather than exploring and acting? Sending prayers to darling Hunter. I never want to hear that he's in pain. He's too sweet for that to happen to.:grouphug:

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Hi Erin, I'm not much help but I can share some advice I got from the pet nutritionist who owns the local holistic store here. My cat had an emergency dental about a month ago because he had two really badly rotted teeth that were causing him a lot of pain. Well, now he has an infection where his tooth was pulled and is in so much pain that he's not eating. He's on meds that the vet prescribed, but I also talked to the pet nutrionist and here's what she recommended:

"I would suggest Arnica 30C (1-2 Pellets) you can dissolve in water or put directly in mouth. Arnica is very useful for any trauma/injuries. For dentals it can help prevent physical shock, bruised soreness, dental pain and bleeding gums after any dental work and extractions. I would alternate this with Hypericum 30C (1-2 Pellets). Hypericum is good for shooting pains sensory nerves in gums and teeth after tooth extraction, root canal, fillings; it promotes the regeneration of the severed nerves."

Both of these are homeopathic medicines. There's supposed to be natural and safe. My family has always strongly believed in homeopathic meds and had tremendous results with them...I have not tried them yet for my cat but just thought I'd share this info in case you wanted to look in to them. Maybe someone on here has more knowledge about these, or you could check with your vet.

Hope Hunter feels better soon!!!

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Ahhhh poor little Hunter! Sorry I don't have any suggestions other than having vet check him out and maybe suggest something for him.

Praying this resolves quickly for your precious little boy!

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
i dont have any suggestions but im praying that hunter feels better soon , the ppor baby it sucks to have any pain espc the mouth , hugs to u as well.

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
OUCH!! I feel terrible for Hunter. Tooth pain is the worst. I can't imagine what the little guy is feeling, not being able to take anything to give him relief. I know you don't want to put him under but if pulling those teeth are the only way to help him be pain free you might have to do it sweetie. What did the vet suggest? I feel awful for you and Hunter. Keep us updated. And give that sweet boy love from us xoxo

·
Premium Member
8,521 Posts
Erin i'm of no help. I hate hearing that Hunter is in pain and like others have said dental pain is the worse. I hope that you start feeling better soon Hunter. Please give him a hug from me.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I have no advice for you either :( but I wanted to tell Hunter that I hope he feels better very very soon! Poor baby :(

·
Premium Member
17,453 Posts
Erin, there is something which is natural called Pet-Ease (by Nutri-Vet) which my stateside vet recommended for traveling w/our dog who was deaf---it might work until you find a better solution---It is a chewable tablet & he could take 1/2 as it is up to 10 lbs. per tablet. It is mainly to "calm" the dog in stressful situations so I don't know if it would be strong enough. At any rate it won't harm him.
I hope you find some good help for him. Get well Buddy!

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Erin, if those roots are causing enough discomfort that he's biting the hand that feeds him then I'd be putting him under to have them removed. If he were diagnosed with bladder stones and was blocked you wouldn't hesitate to put him under to do surgery. While we should all worry and be concerned and never do elective surgery without good reason, when a dog is badly hurting I would do what I need to do to fix it, now and forever.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I need some help in figuring out what I can do to help Hunter. He has some broken roots to his baby teeth poking through his gums and they are causing him pain. We know this because his entire behavior is changing. He is no longer nibbling on our hands but is all out bitting them. He has also become more protective of his body (especially his mouth) and is showing signs of aggression.

We are leary about putting him under to have them removed as he was just under in April but I am wondering if there is anything that he can be given that might help his pain while we wait to see if he is able to expell them on his own.
Poor little baby... have you spoken to his vet yet and told them what's happening? Maybe they can prescribe some strong pain mids for a duration of time until they see if he expels these roots? If not, I'd have them taken out surgically anyway since this is no good way for him to live in so much pain that it's changing his personality. If you trust your vet and they think it's ok to put him under again, I'd do it...April is many months back...

·
Premium Member
2,210 Posts
Poor little guy, hope Hunter is pain free soon. Hugs to your little man from my gang.

Erin, if those roots are causing enough discomfort that he's biting the hand that feeds him then I'd be putting him under to have them removed. If he were diagnosed with bladder stones and was blocked you wouldn't hesitate to put him under to do surgery. While we should all worry and be concerned and never do elective surgery without good reason, when a dog is badly hurting I would do what I need to do to fix it, now and forever.
I agree. If not treated now, I'm also worried that down the road more issues could arise possibly. Just food for thought. :)

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Erin, is there a specific health reason why your vet is hesitant to put Hunter under for surgery? I know you've mentioned he has a few medical issues but I'm not sure what they are and how the would be affected by anesthesia.

I'm not aware of Hunter's situation but in my experience with my senior cat...he is 12, has somewhat of a heart murmur, low platelets and IBD, and his vet was OK with putting him under last month for an emergency dental. He did fine with the anesthesia. His last dental before this one was in March, so he was put under twice in a period of around 6 months :( Not ideal, but we figured it would be better to take the chance as he was in so much pain :(

1 - 20 of 60 Posts