Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Use caution when giving during disasters like this.....many cons and scams pop up to take advantage of people's natural desire to help. Not to say this is a scam but just be sure you KNOW where your money is going and not to some con's bank account. (Do con's HAVE bank accounts?)

My money goes to the Humane Society.....our shelter here is sheltering animals from Baton Rouge so I KNOW the $ are directly helping those victims.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
This does happen to be a national organization known for giving support to animals in crisis...I have not done any research so I am not sure how top heavy they are and how much money actually goes to the animals...but they are there in times of crisis for animals who are displaced. This is not the first time they are doing this....

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
If you go to their webpage they say that 75% of all donations goes to the animals. They also have a clickable link to obtain information about them from the IRS. Thye certainly seem to be on the up and up.

Pico's Mom is right, though. It is terrible how many people will try to use a disaster such as Katrina to scam people.

It's always the safest to go with the well know national groups like the ASPCA, Red Cross, etc.

·
Registered
7,621 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by LadysMom@Sep 2 2005, 12:34 PM
If you go to their webpage they say that 75% of all donations goes to the animals. They also have a clickable link to obtain information about them from the IRS. Thye certainly seem to be on the up and up.

Pico's Mom is right, though. It is terrible how many people will try to use a disaster such as Katrina to scam people.

It's always the safest to go with the well know national groups like the ASPCA, Red Cross, etc.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=96476
[/QUOTE]

I'm in New York - I lived through Sept 11th and I wont forget that much of the money and blood donated to the Red Cross did not get to the victims or their relatives. I perfer dealing with smaller organizations with smaller bureaucracies.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
dont worry..they are here and are helping...so your money will be put to good use

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
They have already set up a huge warehouse to house rescued animals and are in the throes of disaster rescue and recovery.

From their website:

<span style="font-family:Arial">Update: September 3, 2005 1:00 a.m. Louisiana Time

The 65 member rescue team has been very busy setting up the shelter in Slidell and completing rescue requests from evacuated victims and law enforcement personnel and performing door to door searches. Noah’s Wish teams are currently managing rescued animals in 3 locations with the numbers growing rapidly:

168 in a boarding kennel

100 in the emergency shelter

40 in a grooming shop

NOAH’S WISH COORDINATING PET RESCUE IN SLIDELL, LA

(NEW YORK, NY) September 1, 2005 – Noah’s Wish is working with animal control officials in the city of Slidell, Louisiana to coordinate animal rescue. Terri Crisp, Founder and Director of Noah’s Wish, has met with Slidell Mayor Ben Morris and Animal Control Director Damian Anti to assess the city’s needs and a coordinated pet rescue operation is being implemented.

The animal control facility in Slidell was flooded with 10 feet of water and approximately 50 animals were evacuated prior to the storm. The Mayor of Slidell has made available a large warehouse that is being used to set up a temporary shelter for cats and small dogs. In a lot behind the warehouse, tents are being set up and chain link dog runs being built to house larger dogs. Once completed, the temporary shelter will be able to house over 1,000 animals. Over 400 trained Noah’s Wish volunteers and 25 veterinarians will work around the clock to provide medical support and care to these pets. </span>

I made a donation to Noah's Ark earlier today.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts