Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody watching the segment on hybrid dogs? Very interesting and a Vet is showing the dogs. While purebred fanciers might scoff at hybrids, this vet seems very high on them. I am shocked at the prices that people are paying for these dogs!

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, so the vet showing the hybrids doesn't even know how to pronounce Bichon Frises. Regis has to correct her (remember that Kathie Lee had Bichons). And the Morkie (Maltese/Yorkie) didn't look so much like a Maltese at all.....

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Nov 16 2005, 09:56 AM
I just find it funny how they are calling them hybrids now.  Makes them seem fancier and more sought after.  LOL!!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=120158
[/QUOTE]

I KNOW! Regis even dared to say, ahem, "They used to call them mutts".

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
You go, Regis!

I love mutts. My beloved Petie was a Golden Retriever mix and the best family dog we ever could have had when my children were growing up. He was gorgeous, too, one of those mixed breeds that you know aren't purebred, but you can't really see any other breed in them. He looked just like a 35 pound version of a Golden. Until his muzzle turned gray, everyone thought he was a Golden puppy.

I adopted him from the SPCA for $16 25 years ago. Of course he was priceless to us, but I've got to laugh at these suckers who pay thousands for Goldendoodles these days!

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I'm sorry I missed that. What really gets me are the "breeders" who sell these mixes as pure bred. If you knowingly go into a purchase buying a doodle or poo or whatever, then that is one thing...but if you think you're getting a "new breed" or soon to be recognized breed or rare breed then that is wrong.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
My aunt and uncle got a schnoodle from a pet store last spring. When I got nikki I took her over there to show my cousin and my uncle kept asking me what make nikki was.
I was like WHAT? LOL He thought she was a mix like his. I was like uh, no she's purebreed. He seemed suprised that there were still purebreed dogs.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Well, I almost fell in love with a peke-a-poo but, I started to do some research. Then I found out these "designer dogs" were over priced mutts. I changed my mind. Also, no two hybrids come out alike, and you never know what they will turn out like, healthwise too. They are experiments, and I couldn't see myself paying $1300 for an experimental mutt.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Kylie is a yorkie/maltese mix (I prefer to call her a yorktese.. LOL!). Her litter was an accident, not intentional. Anyways, I think most yorkteses or morkies look like yorkies... At least, most of the ones I've seen do. Kylie just looks like a yorkie with floppy ears and a long tail..
Jess

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I like Yorktese better than Morkie! It has a nicer ring....

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
The Maltese x Shih Tzu is a popular mix in Australia and a lot of people have them. My little dog back there is one and he is all white like the Maltese but you can see he is a little stockier. He is the sweetest little dog and a wonderful companion for my little grandson and they are inseparable. Scooby is the first pure bred Maltese I have had and I have to say his temperment is very similar to the little guy back home

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I don't know how I feel about mixed breeds but I guess as long as you know what you are getting. My husband thinks the whole dog business is crazy and that if there weren't mixed breeds at some point, then we wouldn't have some of the breeds we have today. Maybe that's not what he said? I am tired :new_Eyecrazy: maybe I should just go to bed.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
I've had mix breeds most all my life. For sixteen years, I had a Snoodle. I've had a Border Collie/Aussie Mix, Bird dog mix, and now I have a Golden Retriever/Irish Setter Mix. BUT these were all dogs given to me or rescued from a shelter. I do not endorse mixing them for profit. Accidents do happen, and these dogs need loving too. I will say that of all these mixes, I've never had one with a health problem. They have all had good dispositions and intelligence. My Border Collie/Aussie was a trained cattle dog, and she worked well with me in my office. I loved having her with me when I worked with children because she had that special touch with them. My Snoodle, which was given to me while I was in graduate school, became my children's dog, and he wore clothes and rode in stollers before it became popular to do so, as he was their "baby".
Olga, your husband is right in that many of the dogs we know today started out as a mix of something else. The only thing now is that there is a segment of the population that sees only $$$$ in their motivation for doing these mixes.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Originally posted by LucyLou@Nov 16 2005, 10:22 PM
Olga, your husband is right in that many of the dogs we know today started out as a mix of something else.  The only thing now is that there is a segment of the population that sees only $$$$ in their motivation for doing these mixes.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=120506
[/QUOTE]

Faye,

Isn't it funny how I am always quoting my husband? I make it seem as though he always has something to say. In reality, he is rather quiet (although not with me). Anyways, when looking for Miko, we initially came up with an idea that we wanted a malti-poo becuase I wanted a poodle and Nevin wanted a maltese. Well, we couldn't find any (and now of course I am glad we didn't) but I completely agree with you -- its done for major $$$ which is just wrong at many levels.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I tivo'd the episode and watched it last night...and I was taken back by the "Vet" that was showing these animals. At one point she did say that you don't know what your going to get, but that was said very quietly and then she also talked about what you would get when you mixed them.

No one knows what you will get with a poodle - whatever mix. It seems that they are trying to mix everything with poodle because of the alergy thing.

I love my little pure breed Teddy - cause I know what is normal and I can watch his health better. I have had mutts in my life and loved them all and may have another any day...but I would not pay someone huge sums of money just because they label them something fancy.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Anyone remember the "Toy Munchkin" scam a few years ago? They were the hot new designer dog that looked like little lions. Turns out they were Pomeranian/Chihuahua mixes with their hind ends shaved!

Apparently some vet with great marketing skills was behind the scam. She even got her dogs featured on Animal Planet!

Here's the bio:

Considered the "ideal" pet for all types of lifestyles, the Toy Munchkin is an intelligent dog which makes a great companion for almost anyone. This breed stands an average of 5 inches at the shoulders and weighs an average of 4 pounds. It comes in a variety of colors. When this dog is properly shaved it resembles a small lion with its pom-pom appearance

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Like others have said, mutts can often be fantastic dogs! When I was growing up we had a mutt that we adopted from the SPCA and she was the nicest, most wonderful dog ever. I have no problem with mixed breed dogs, I guess I just don't understand the huge prices.....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts